Boots

smy1

FNG
For sweating feet: spray with Arid antiperspirant, wear cotton socks for absorption and change socks when possible

Ktwebb33

FNG
Everyone’s mileage will vary, but I have worn Lowa’s everyday to work, and hunting for the last 6 years…my current 2 pair I cycle through are the camino’s and the Ticam’s. I favor the Ticam’s. They’re slightly “more boot” but I have grown fond to a stiffer boot, even for everyday wear. Both gore-Tex, Un-insulated boots. I also exclusively wear darn tough socks and the combination of boots and socks just flat out work for me…all year…temps ranging from 90’s down to typically 20’s-30’s.

Bump79

WKR
Hi guys new to the forum. Looking for some advise. I hunt the hills of Ohio, typically hiking in 1+miles up and down ridges. I currently have Irish Setter 1200g rubber boots and my feet freeze after a while in the stand. I've played the liner sock game (every brand wool). My buddies use non Insulated Lowa boots and they never have a problem. They are saying my feet sweat. I'm looking into a good pair of boots (crispi, lowa, etc). I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger on non Insulated boots. Does anyone have similar experiences with foot sweat on long hikes? Did you go to a non Insulated boot with thicker socks? Boot recommendations appreciated. I'd like to hear personal experiences. I'm between the crispi nevadas, crispi guides, lowa Camino, and lowa tibets.

Your feet are absolutely sweating. I'd recommend using this tactic that has changed the game for me:

Unscented spray antiperspirant on your feet
Liner Sock
Quality Merino Socks
Uninsulated boots
ARCTIC SHIELD BOOT INSULATORS

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I have always hated rubber boots too clunky and my feet freeze. I used to go with 1000g leather boots and would still get cold feet after a while. A few years ago I started wearing my light weight hikers with no insulation and no more cold feet while walking, if I sit for extended periods my feet still get cold but as soon as I get up and move they warm up within a minute or two. I had days with the insulated boots where once my feet got cold they would never warm up again even with movement. I was wearing salewa rapace but I wasn’t crazy about the lack of ankle support. I bought a pair of Schnee’s timberline and beartooth both uninsulated and I love the boots for active hunting white tails.

Wool insoles, wool socks and looses your laces when you sit. It will make a difference.
I drop a small hothands pad in my boots before they get uncomfortable cold.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
My feet never get cold here in virginia while wearing these, I generally walk a mile to mile and half as well. Sometimes farther, but yes they get heavy after a while, but you kinda get used to them also. I know Rocky boots get a bad reputation, but I had a pair of these before that lasted 10 years or so. That being said I need a smaller pair of boots for early season as these are best for later when its really cold

Joebe

FNG
I use Muck Wetlands with Smartwool socks. It took me a while but to many socks do not help.

WCB

WKR
Go non-insulated or very low 200gram insulation and get some boot blankets, insulators, boot bivys whatever. I have not used them but my dad swears by them and when he sits in a ground blind he takes his boots off and just uses the boot blankets with a heat pack. Also Bring an extra pair of socks and change them out when you get to the stand.

I'm lucky, I'm used to freezing my feet from growing up playing outdoor hockey. My feet really don't get cold or at least I don't notice it. I wear uninsulated (Crispi Wyomings) until it is in the teens. Just sat in ND in 20 degree weather with no issues. Make sure your socks fit correctly and your boots are loose when sitting. Makes a world of difference.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I wore Meindls for years, tried Kenetrek but their heel cups cut into my Achilles. Bought Crispi Guides 3 years ago, super comfortable and never had a single issue. In the summer I wear Lowa Zephyr mids. The thing that made the biggest difference was wearing wool socks. I also replace the insoles with super feet.

Adding a liner sock makes a huge difference in cold weather. I’ve also hear that if you wear two pairs of wool socks and turn the one against your foot inside out that it’ll help a lot but I haven’t tried it. I went to Illinois one year and it was dang cold but I had a moving bag that I put around my boots and added a hot hands to the boots… it worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I always get cold feet when the temperatures drop. I had LOWA GTX boots for decades but they do not hold up in cold weather, and I am originally from Europe. I grew up boar hunting in freezing weather! Get an insulated boot with at least 800 gram of insulation and make sure who have at least two pair of socks in it (wool or synthetic blend). If you do not move around a lot put a pair of toe warmers in it and you will be warm and cozy. I recently switched to the 800 gram Crispi insulated boots and also liked the 1000gram insulated Rocky leather boots but it all depends on fit. I have a narrow foot especially heel and finding boots that fit me is a pain.

tb27688

FNG
I never would have even thought of non insulated boots for OH tree stand hunting, great advice to try because my feet freeze in my heavy boots.
I don’t think there is a pair of boots made my feet don’t freeze in

Dash

FNG
I’m following this thread with high interest. I hunted in unseasonably cold weather for us this year (high teens, low 20s) 3-4 times. My feet were absolutely freezing wearing muck boots and quality merino wool socks doubled up.

I didn’t have this issue when I lived in the Midwest hunting in snow and even colder temps. Looking back, I didn’t wear rubber boots, but proper leather boots and never got that cold.

Thank you for the boot recommendations so far, keep them coming! Going to get a pair of non-insulated boots to break in before the cold weather hits again next year.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Lenz electric socks. Very expensive but no cold feet. You can adjust the heat settings manually or with a phone app. I originally tried them in my waders for winter steelhead fishing and they worked great. You don’t have to mess with boot blankets or heat packs and can wear less clunkier boots.