Boot sizing

Jim

FNG
I'm looking for my first pair of mountain hunting boots. I intend to mainly hunt the early season before it gets too cold. My question is, how does the sizes run with a brand from one model to the next? For instance if I go to REI and try on Asolo boots will I take the same size in all Asolo boots? I keep looking at some of the boots on STP and they are boots that are not carried by any stores local to me, so fit is a big concern for me.
Does anyone have an idea other than buy several different sizes and return what doesn't fit?

MattB

WKR
I prefer Lowa boots and wear different sizes depending on the model. Unfortunately, you are likely going to need to go to places that stock them so you can try different sizes and see which works best. On thing you might look at doing is measuring the stock insoles from boot to boot (or ask a retailed to do it for you). That can help with the length/width question, but not so much with fit.

I just ordered the new Meindl Dovres (shorter than the hightops).
I like the big rand for steep alpine country and rock-on-rock climbing.

trekova-trekingova-obuv-meindl-dovre-gtx-siroka.jpg

They come in an 11" version too:

meindl-dovre-extreme.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
^ those look kind of like the Alaskans I have. Good boot, meindl makes some good boots. Im trying to run mine into the ground so I can buy a new pair of something. Too many options with boots. Its a good thing I have the definition of 'normal' feet. I can wear just about anything and be good!

ssliger

WKR
You could use Zappo's, with the VIP version they offer free overnight shipping both ways. So you could order a pair try them, they don't fit send them back for another size or another version. It takes longer, but it's and option.

OP
J

Jim

FNG
There's almost a dizzying amount of boots to choose from, especially when you have limited experience.
sslinger, thanks for the Zappos recommendation, I looked and your are correct; free shipping both ways. I was going to just buy a pair of Asolo Sasslong and call it a day, but of course STP is out of 10 1/2. Does anybody have an opinion of these Hanwag Banks over at STP?
Like I said the number of quality boots out there is almost overwhelming.

Rucker61

WKR
There's almost a dizzying amount of boots to choose from, especially when you have limited experience.
sslinger, thanks for the Zappos recommendation, I looked and your are correct; free shipping both ways. I was going to just buy a pair of Asolo Sasslong and call it a day, but of course STP is out of 10 1/2. Does anybody have an opinion of these Hanwag Banks over at STP?
Like I said the number of quality boots out there is almost overwhelming.

I'm wearing the Banks right now, and returned a pair of the Sasslongs I bought at the same time. The Banks are a pretty lightweight boot, much more flexible than my Kenetreks, so I'm still getting used to them. I haven't had them out in the boonies yet, so no real world info to share with you. I picked them up for archery season and summer hiking. With the coupons, they were just over $100, so not very much of an investment risk. Do note that STP has them listed by the UK sizes, not US; the first pair I ordered were way big.

OP
J

Jim

FNG
I guess I will check out the local REI; if nothing jumps out at me I can always fall back onto the Banks. Thanks for the help guys.