Boot Recommendations for North Slope Caribou Hunt

So some buddies and I are hunting the north slope for caribou in August of 2022. I’ve already purchased Wiggy’s for river crossings, and will be buying boot gaiters. However, I’ve heard conflicting opinions on boots. Between synthetic and leather, rubber vs traditional hunting boot, etc. and I am just looking for some good insight. I’m thinking about buying the Scarpa R Evolution K 8 HDs as synthetic seems like it’ll dry faster, is lighter and won’t shrink like leather. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
So some buddies and I are hunting the north slope for caribou in August of 2022. I’ve already purchased Wiggy’s for river crossings, and will be buying boot gaiters. However, I’ve heard conflicting opinions on boots. Between synthetic and leather, rubber vs traditional hunting boot, etc. and I am just looking for some good insight. I’m thinking about buying the Scarpa R Evolution K 8 HDs as synthetic seems like it’ll dry faster, is lighter and won’t shrink like leather. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Good ankle fit hip wader is a must. Spent 10 days on the slope, and wore hip waders 80% of the time. I took a pair of Meidnl with gaiters, be sure to treat the leather generously before going.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I went to the Brooks range and brought Kennetreks, hip boots and muck boots. I wore the mucks 90% of the time. When I go again, I will look for a Muck type boot with some ankle support. Packing out a caribou over 4 miles thru tussocks sucked. Tore my meniscus and limited my mobility for the last day or 2 of the hunt. My kennetreks 400g Mountain extremes were pretty much worthless imo. Too wet of an environment even with gators.

OP
K
I talked to the outfitter about muck boots and they don’t recommend them due to the lack of ankle support leading to ankle injuries

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to spend the $600, look at Crispi Highlanders. Hiking boot with built in gaiter that is knee high. Ugly as hell but some buddies hunted with GE last year and loved them.

I used and will use again in September 2022 Crispi Wild Rock GTX boots wit Kuiu gaiters. Never got wet feet and waded through nearly knee deep water constantly. Great boot.

OXN939

WKR
I talked to the outfitter about muck boots and they don’t recommend them due to the lack of ankle support leading to ankle injuries

Ankle length boots don't have much utility other than as camp shoes on a lot of the North Slope. I'd take knee length waterproof boots, with hip waders as backup if the spot you end up is damp.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're striking across the tundra, consider the wet and semi-wet "suck" factor of marshy tundra. Early on I tried mukluks and extra tuffs like a darn fool, but after having them sucked off my foot in sketchy marshy tundra I've adapted. Crispi's and Kenetrek have been obviously prevalent when I've been up there. I prefer to keep agile, so my choice is Asolo medium backpacking boots (for sheep and goats too) with gators for the occasional dip and slip marsh or quick slop hop through wet patches of tundra. Just enough to keep you comfortable and mobile without bog water filling your boots. I've also used gortex socks (seal socks) in combo with gators when i know it's gonna be extra wet for any reason.

Has anyone had any luck wearing Simms waders and Simms wading boots.

jhm2023

WKR
Rubber type boots with no ankle support on the slope are a foolish choice at best. It's hard to explain walking on tundra especially with a heavy pack of meat. Lots of years and long trips hunting the slope and my method of traversing the wet terribly uneven terrain is a pair of Lowa Tibet gtx with a set of OR croc gaiters for the general moving about and covering distance. A lightweight raft and carbon fiber paddle for larger creek and river crossing and a pair of crocs and quick drying underwear for shallow creek and river crossings. Add in a pair of goretex socks to wear over regular dry socks when the inevitable wet boots happen. I like to cover distance and pack light so waders and such just aren't happening for me as they're too dangerous for river crossing, your nuts will be just as wet from sweating and they're too heavy for the utility they provide vs a raft and paddle. Everyone has their own styles of hunting and methods and others just need to learn things the hard way first. A light micro fiber towel is good to bring as well because you can dry yourself after water crossings and shove it in your boots to dry them most of the way while you sleep.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank you. Great to hear from those who have done it. I’m with you with not carrying heavy gear, or wearing waders all day.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wouldn't plan to wear your waders and boots due to overheating and agility reduction. But, yes I've done it for a mile or so round trip...once. The only way I'd opt for waders over hiking boots on the tundra is if I'm lining and dragging UPstream somewhere. In that case yes, waders would be ideal despite the agility and overheating concerns.

@Jackal7 "I used and will use again in September 2022 Crispi Wild Rock GTX boots wit Kuiu gaiters. Never got wet feet and waded through nearly knee deep water constantly. Great boot."

I'm interested in a more detailed description of how you kept the water out of your boots when wading. Not doubting in any way. Just trying to understand. Thanks

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
@Jackal7 "I used and will use again in September 2022 Crispi Wild Rock GTX boots wit Kuiu gaiters. Never got wet feet and waded through nearly knee deep water constantly. Great boot."

I'm interested in a more detailed description of how you kept the water out of your boots when wading. Not doubting in any way. Just trying to understand. Thanks
We’ll, not sure if I just was lucky but we used Kuiu Yukon gaiters over Crispi Gtx Wild Rick boots and wore our Kuiu Yukon rain gear pants all day every day. All four of us had same gear. Nobody got wet feet. Never had wet socks.

Even when we were doing the tundra OhShit hop when the water all of sudden got knees deep.

Kyle Avey

WKR
Has anyone had any luck wearing Simms waders and Simms wading boots.
I took simms G3 hip waders and G3 wader boots. I also took Kenetreks and gaiters. It was very nice having both and I used them both depending on the situation each day. The only bad thing about running waders was how hot and sweaty I would get when packing meat out. I used waders for crossing creeks and when staying in creek bottoms. I used kenetreks and gaiters in tussocks and such for ankle support.

We’ll, not sure if I just was lucky but we used Kuiu Yukon gaiters over Crispi Gtx Wild Rick boots and wore our Kuiu Yukon rain gear pants all day every day. All four of us had same gear. Nobody got wet feet. Never had wet socks.
Thanks. The use of rain pants tells me what I didn't know.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Has anyone tried Lowa brand boots?
Yes...I have a pair of Lowa Hunter boots that I have worn for quite a few years up here...and still do when applicable. Paired with KUIU Yukon gators (as needed), they have performed well for me across a wide range of hunting applications...humping heavy loads over soggy/wet tundra, mountain hunting for goats on Kodiak, and sheep hunting at high elevation. There are numerous synthetic and lighter wt boot alternatives out there, but I have found the Lowa Hunter to be just right for me, e.g., the higher lacing gives excellent ankle support, rugged/solid construction, stiffer insoles, waterproof membrane, and just the right insulative comfort for later season hunts.

BTW, I honestly say the above, but at the same time I'm not wading or dashing across any creeks that are knee-deep wearing my hiking boots...good on those who successfully have! Also, my Lowa's stay at home when I'm moose hunting in predominantly wet chest-wader areas, as well as float trips.

Last edited:

Bluman001

FNG
Yes...I have a pair of Lowa Hunter boots that I have worn for quite a few years up here...and still do when applicable. Paired with KUIU Yukon gators (as needed), they have performed well for me across a wide range of hunting applications...humping heavy loads over soggy/wet tundra, mountain hunting for goats on Kodiak, and sheep hunting at high elevation. There are numerous synthetic and lighter wt boot alternatives out there, but I have found the Lowa Hunter to be just right for me, e.g., the higher lacing gives excellent ankle support, rugged/solid construction, stiffer insoles, waterproof membrane, and just the right insulative comfort for later season hunts.
Thank you for the input. Ive ordered a pair of Crispi boots and a pair of Lowa Tibets. I'll see which fits and feels better. Wet feet for days are a phobia of mine. I plan of doing everything I can short of carrying waders or muck boots to avoid it. Sealskins goretex socks look interesting.