Boone & Crockett Goat in British Columbia - Hunt Video

f16jack

WKR
I went on a great goat hunt some years back and finally got around to putting out a video of it. Let me know what you think.

One of my first videos. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

gerry35

WKR
Just watched it, congrats! What was the year and sate of the kill? I bet it was a long cold night out there but at least you had a good fire.

With the load you mentioned must have been a 7mm Rem Mag, quite a few years ago we loaded up something very similar for a young friend only difference was the 175 Speer G.S. instead of the Partition.

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
The hunt was Oct 7 - Oct 9, 1998, some 25 years ago. It ended up being just a 3 day hunt.
Alex and I have been emailing back and forth these last couple of days and I may head back up there with some folks for a little more wilderness. He has a great setup and animals all around. Mostly goats, black bears and deer. Moose are a bit low now due to an increase in wolves.

It was a very cold night, and having the dead goat lying there with grizzlies around was a bit unnerving. The snow stopped about 3 a.m. and the moon came out, and you could see like daytime. Pretty cool. I lost a hat that night. Alex burned the little dangle from the top of his toque, and he lost a 30-30 under the snow. All was found (except for the little woolen ball) come snowmelt. He even mailed my mouse eaten hat back to me (they like the salt in the rim).

It was a 7mm Rem Mag, in a Remington 700 S/S. I still use that rifle, although I've gotten a couple of others since.

I've moved away from Nosler Partitions and over to Bergers. With the Nosler I took 9 elk, with an average of 3 shots each, with about 200 yards travelled after being hit. With the Berger 180 VLD I've taken 6 elk, and they drop where they stand, 1st shot. No other changes. Same bullet placement, same hunter, same mountains.

gerry35

WKR
My friend had the identical 7mm RM rifle from around the 1990's. He took a 3 goats that I can remember with the above load. They sure made really nice rifles back then. I still think the 7mm RM is one of the very best rounds out there for all around use. I'm going to try those 170 gr Berger's for my 6.8 Western when it gets here to see what they are like. Should be similar to your 180 gr 7mm load.

Spending the night like that probably wasn't fun at the time but is a great memory now I bet.

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
Caution on the 170 Gr. EOL. For stability it is like the 195 gr. EOL. They both need really tight barrel twist for stability at lower elevations. The 170 needs an 9.0 twist or better. At sea level it needs a 8.5. I tried the 195 EOL for a bit but moved back to the 180 VLD. Calculator here: https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
You might be better off with the 150 VLD.

Last edited:

gerry35

WKR
Don't want to hijack your post but I'm getting a 1 in 8 twist so it should work fine.

Now back to your goat hunt :) Hope you are able to get back up here again, your outfitter has been at it a long time. Nice to see the old time outfitters still going.

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
Thanks. I just put up an archery bear video also. I think I might try to put up one new video per week (I've got a lot of footage from over the years).