Bolt action cerakote

Damartin95

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have had their rifles cerakoted. Did you do the bolt and the barrel/reciever the same color? Or different color bolt? Pictures?

Same color, done black and brown. Don't have a pic.

For a loose action like a Remington factory it was no issue and improved cycling and smoothed it out.
Kimber Montana 8400 action it was no problem as well.
For a tight clearance custom action it may be problematic, maybe best to ask action maker.

I've only done stainless rifles.

So far my favorite finish was some type of black oxide phosphate type finish a gunsmith did for me on a stainless rifle. It polished off on the high wear areas after several years, but the rest still looks good.

OP
D

Damartin95

Lil-Rokslider
Most bolts already have a coating Of some sort. Best leave that as is so the action cycles smoothly with less friction.
It's gonna be going on a tikka action for a semi custom build. Bolt is gonna be getting fluted so will require some sort of refinish

amassi

WKR
It's gonna be going on a tikka action for a semi custom build. Bolt is gonna be getting fluted so will require some sort of refinish
Don't cerakote the bolt, it's gonna wear off.
Dlc or nitride, nice clean black look and won't wear near as bad. It's also slick.
Also I wouldn't flute it.

amassi

WKR
Why wouldn't you flute it?
Best case scenario it's a net neutral- LRI wrought iron pattern is pretty smooth.

Some flutes are rough though and make a really smooth action feel crunchy. Ie Tikkas factory fluting, I can feel the bolt riding over the top round in the magazine. I'm trying to trade 2 fluted bolts right now

OP
D

Damartin95

Lil-Rokslider
Best case scenario it's a net neutral- LRI wrought iron pattern is pretty smooth.

Some flutes are rough though and make a really smooth action feel crunchy. Ie Tikkas factory fluting, I can feel the bolt riding over the top round in the magazine. I'm trying to trade 2 fluted bolts right now
I'll be going with wrought iron by lri.