Boddington backs bear spray

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs2_gowdtpE&feature=youtu.be

Good 1 minute video from Boddington. Can't argue much with that.

Here's why I haven't made the habit of carrying bear spray:

1) Can't keep it from freezing and the ones I've bought said don't let them freeze- yea right!
2) Can't always remember to take them out of the truck on a hot day. My good friend couldn't drive his family's Jeep for a year after a can exploded on a hot day
3) Seems like they expire awful fast and aren't cheap.

So there's my excuses. Yours?

You better pray to god the wind isn't blowing into your face, I used it once and only once and doubt I will again, a face full of that is not a pretty sight. I think the bear felt so bad he just ran off rather then adding insult to injury. I pack it more for girlfriends piece of mind more then anything else. If I'm solo archery MR. 45 or 357 comes as well.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Not a fan of spray at all! Seen what is does in the military. Once it's in the air everyone's a target:)

sdr

FNG
When I was flyfishing on Kodiak Island I asked the guides about carrying spray. They said it worked great. When a big brown bear charges you, spray yourself in the eyes. It will distract you for the worst part of the mauling.;)

Shrek

WKR
Not a fan of spray at all! Seen what is does in the military. Once it's in the air everyone's a target:)

Nothing like snot running to the ground , unable to see....and the best part of that training was forgetting when I went to take a leak ! OMG ! I'll stick to a gun and remember to save one for myself if I fail to stop the bear. I'll always remember the letter from the scene in Jeremiah Johnson , something like it is a good rifle and it kilt the bear that kilt me I think.

I carry it on archery hunts. I'm on board that once it's in the air its going to be bad for everyone!!! Just the test spray on a new can proved that !

JNDEER

WKR
I carry it on archery hunts. I'm on board that once it's in the air its going to be bad for everyone!!! Just the test spray on a new can proved that !

Give CA a couple more years I am bet there will be a lot more archer's carrying it. I have had a few encounters with good size bears, but they always run off. Have not encountered a mom/cub combo yet or an aggressive bear.

Stid2677

WKR
The only way to fly it on remote hunts in Alaska is in the floats, so that is not possible most times,,

My Dad always said never take a knife to a gun fight. I would rather have a gun any day, last thing I want is to spray that crap into a 30mph headwind and be blinded while I get ate.

Lawnboi

WKR
Have not been too worried about black bears, and have yet to venture into grizzly country, though that will be coming.

92%... I don't like that number.

time to practice shooting the pistol

Wrongside

WKR
You better pray to god the wind isn't blowing into your face, I used it once and only once and doubt I will again, a face full of that is not a pretty sight...

Ditto. Not for me thanks. Short, handy 375 when scouting, camping, etc. and whatever I'm carrying when hunting. It'd be nice if our overlords would see fit to let us pack handguns in the backcountry...

OR Archer

WKR
I like his last comment "and practice!" haha. who in their right mind practices spraying bear spray? haha

Ditto. Not for me thanks. Short, handy 375 when scouting, camping, etc. and whatever I'm carrying when hunting. It'd be nice if our overlords would see fit to let us pack handguns in the backcountry...

This is why I got my CC permit, no matter what I can legally carry. In California at least.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've personally seen it turn a small grizzly bear in Montana. Two years agoI had a black bear that wouldn't run away until hit it with rocks and sticks multiple times at ten yards. Last year someone I knew was killed by a black bear. I carry something for unusual situations most times i go out now. I usually carry the spray over the glock because of weight.

Ray

WKR
I work in brown and black bear country. To use bear spray I would have to pay thousands of dollars to charter a freight plane. For some locations that plane would end up being a C130. Just for a can of bear spray.

I can take a firearm any where for free.