Boats

kda082

WKR
My wife wants a boat. I’m not a boat guy but grew up with a best buddy with boats. I enjoy skiing, fishing, boarding. Girls would probably ski and tube, guys fish and ski. My kids are college age with girlfriends and boyfriends so capacity would be 6. I’m thinking used as new boats seem $ and not sure how much we’ll actually use. I also know they’re money pits. what should I look for, how many hours is a lot on used? I know I want live wells. No wake boat suggestions as I’m not wealthy. Thanks

Wvroach

WKR
My wife wants a boat. I’m not a boat guy but grew up with a best buddy with boats. I enjoy skiing, fishing, boarding. Girls would probably ski and tube, guys fish and ski. My kids are college age with girlfriends and boyfriends so capacity would be 6. I’m thinking used as new boats seem $ and not sure how much we’ll actually use. I also know they’re money pits. what should I look for, how many hours is a lot on used? I know I want live wells. No wake boat suggestions as I’m not wealthy. Thanks

Where is your intended use area, river, lakes, bay, ocean??

Once you figure out your use you need to find the size that will safely handle the conditions you expect to be in. That will help us point you in the right direction.

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
Lakes in KS. im surprisingly not big into this. Enjoy fishing and skiing with buddies and going home. I do think it would be a good way to have family time.

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
All kidding aside what is the used and new market? I know it was crazy last year and assume it will continue unless people dump the boats they purchased last year.

Wvroach

WKR
I'd suggest renting one if your not interested in it really. Unless you keep up with upkeep and take care of her she won't last. The last thing you want is to be stuck out on the other side of the lake with a cranky wife and kids paddling into a headwind.

Rentals are cheaper than you'd expect, and they typically are suited for the lake you are renting them from. Around here you'd be hard pressed to find a ski boat rental though. I'd go that route to see if it's worth dumping 10k in for a toy. Around here you won't get into a turn key fish and ski or CC for less than that, that hasn't been dogged to heck or needs work from the start at least.

KurtR

WKR
The used market is crazy. I really only look at fishing boats but I have buddies selling them for more now than they were worth a few years ago. What’s the price range your looking at

Mt Al

WKR
Renting is way way way (+ infinity) cheaper but it doesn't scratch the itch. I never bought one for the family as we had other stuff going on. My friends who have the same basic needs you do have gone with used Lunds or similar types of aluminum boats, rear bench, mid swivels, driver/non drive seats (now up to six) then the open front. Both of them bought with Honda 225s and trolling motors. Used market is crazy, but new is nuts.

They both had to put on new fish finders, rod holders, etc.. One put on down riggers.

Every time I go I fill up their boat and truck, buy all the chow and beer and thank the Lord that I don't own a boat like that. If I had the money I would, but both my friends are constantly working on them, having them worked on, dealing with trailer issues, etc.

zacattack

WKR
The used boat market is nuts. I sold my 13’ jon boat this weekend for double what I paid for it. In 2 days I think I had 40 to 50 people contact me about it. I’m very happy I sold it, spent more time working on it than fishing in it. Don’t buy used.

brocksw

WKR
I grew up lake fishing and we always had a boat. Awesome family time, fishing, tubing, swimming.. whatever....they ain't cheap and if they are they're usually a headache.

Some things to look for/consider after you figure out your budget:

Decide if you need fiberglass. If you're going to be on bigger water, I think fiber glass is worth the premium you pay for it. If you're on small lakes and rivers only, you can get away with aluminum and not regret it. Walk through windshield is a must to keep the wife happy in either hull material.

Keep resale value in mind. You may need or want to sell that boat someday, nothing worse than having a boat no one wants and taking it in the shorts. Ranger, skeeter, warrior, lund, triton all seem to hold value...Ranger 6 series and warrior are cream of the crop.

Imo the yamaha 150 4 stroke is the most reliable motor out there and very fuel efficient. I have one on my 1860 angler and can sniff 50 mph. You can change the oil yourself. Find one with under 250 hours and you're in good shape. It's like the Toyota of boat motors if there is such a thing.

If you need seating for 6 you'll want a boat with jump seats. If you want it moderately priced and fiberglass that limits your options pretty quickly. Ranger reata, skeeter wx series, newer ranger angler, stratos 386xf or 326xf. Those can all be had used for 25-40k.

I'd stay away from evinrude as they went out of business. But I prefer 4 stroke engines too.

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
id Like to keep it $10,000, maybe double that max if we decide to get serious. A lot to consider. Thanks for the advice.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I like the renting idea; WAY cheaper in the long run.... having owned a few and worked on more in Alaska,
boats are without question a hole in the water into which you pour your hard-earned money....

Bought a used aluminum bass boat last spring and have used the heck out of it. My boys and I love it. Used it to access some public land and my 11 yr old killed a Turkey last weekend. My experience with boats are you have to use them and run them often to not have problems with them. They don’t do well just sitting around getting little use. 1 year in and mine had been great. It is a 2001 model

brocksw

WKR
id Like to keep it $10,000, maybe double that max if we decide to get serious. A lot to consider. Thanks for the advice.
I'd buy aluminum in that price range. You won't get into a glass boat I'd feel good about until you get around 25k.