Boar hunting in Oregon?

Brettdag

FNG
I hunted boar a while back with my Uncle in Texas and ever since then I've wanted to do it up here. Does anyone know what area in Oregon is best for hunting hogs? I would assume southern Oregon where they are coming up from California but I can't find much information on it. If it's too hard to find them in Oregon I might as well get a California license and just go down there. Or maybe even Northern Idaho. Anybody hunt them around here?

Last edited:
We don't have a real strong hog population (thank god). You're correct in thinking southern Oregon is your best bet, I've also heard of some near the Madres area in central Oregon. I've never personally witnessed any.

I don't believe that there are any hogs in Idaho, unless you're on a hunting ranch. I'm sure that there are some in southern Oregon, but as with California, I'm sure most of the huntable populations are on private ground.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
In Oregon they are considered an invasive animal and you can shoot them on sight when they are on public land. There are areas that hold some, but nobody talks about them (I myself have only heard stories). There are a couple of dedicated people who seek them out, but they use dogs and horses.

WRO

WKR
I only know of a few, from very very talented hunters. It's a fools errand at best in oregon. You could spend 10 times the money and effort as ca and still never kill one free range.

OP
B

Brettdag

FNG
Ok thanks for all the feedback. It would have been fun to go on some hunts but I am glad that they aren't a problem here yet.

OP
B

Brettdag

FNG
Nice Pic! How far do I have to drive from the Oregon/California border until there is decent hunting?

There is good to excellent pig hunting from Kern county north through and beyond the Bay Area. Are you looking at hunting public land, or private?

OP
B

Brettdag

FNG
I was thinking public. Though we could probably go either way if we could get permission. I'm not too familiar with the area. Is it worth hunting within let's say 2-3 hours of the Oregon border?

There are places, so the answer is yes. Tehama Wildlife Area, is one place. I'm in southern Ca, so I don't get up north very often. But I will say this, the closer to the Bay area, the better the pig hunting. Fort hunter Liggett is another place; it's an active military base, so make sure you know and understand all their rules and regulations. Just keep in mind that for the vast majority of public land hunting, the vast majority of trip are unsuccessful. If you don't know a land owner, it's not likely you'll get permission to hunt private property. There are plenty of private property opportunities for those willing to pay. Many pig hunters will tell you that it's generally way cheaper to pay for a guided hunt, than hunt public land. Lastly, It's well known that Ca has plenty of pigs, but it's also well known that the vast majority of those pigs are on private property.