Blown primer. New rifle. Only 1 round fired.

txnewguy

FNG
Hello,

This is my first post here and my first on any firearm or hunting related blog.

I bought a factory new Weatherby 307 Range in 280 AI for my first elk trip in November.

The following day I mounted a scope and headed to the range. On the very first cartridge, the primer was blown out and the extractor was shattered and in two pieces. The primer was not pierced. But the case head was deformed and the extractor damaged the case head as well.

The ammo was/is factory new Federal Terminal Ascent 155 gr. I do not reload.

Obviously, the blown primer is a sign of high pressure. But what caused the high pressure? Is it simply due to hot factory ammo? Or, could it be a tight chamber? Should I buy GO/NO-Go gauges? Am I safe to try factory new Nosler Accubond 160gr?

If I experience a similar issue with the Nosler ammo, I’ll be sending the rifle back to Weatherby.

Weatherby is aware. They’re sending a new extractor, pin, and spring. I’ve ordered new ammo (Nosler Accubond) and will put the Federal ammo aside.

I’ve emailed Federal twice detailing my experience as well. No response.

Thank you for your guidance. Any help is appreciated.

Last summer, I was getting blown primers on my 15+ year old 7mm RM Savage 110 shooting Federal TA 155s.

Turned out to be an excessive headspace issue which got fixed up by a gunsmith. It’s been shooting well since then with several more boxes of same ammo.