Bloody Packs & Such

OP
Kevin Dill
Heads and capes do tend to be the bloodiest things we pack....

I agree that prevention is always better than a remedy. I've used contractor bags too, but they have their limits. Used inside a pack bag they tend to work well, but anywhere else (like on a frame or exterior carry) I find them to be slippery and aggravating. Still, there are few better ideas except perhaps an XL dry bag of lighter fabric.

I too have tossed my pack in water after a bloody job...where water was available. Getting the blood washed out before it dries (and binds) is important. Blood is largely protein, and like most protein, once it dries it binds very strongly to a surface. Think 'egg yolk' and you'll get it. In some locations water simply isn't available for a wash, such as arid locations or higher altitude settings. Washing later with products that break down proteins (certain detergents and H202) is good strategy, but get to it sooner rather than later. Old dried blood stains are some of the worst to get out of fabrics.

All this has led me to think that...assuming I get my pack nasty-bloody again, I'm going to peroxide the stains and soak it in detergent first. If that doesn't fully do the job, I'll use the pressure washer next.

TEmbry

WKR
I just throw my pack in the washer at the end of each fall or after a successful hunt if it got exceptionally bloody.

If it can't stand up to a house hold washer that my cotton t shirts stand up to, I shouldn't be using it in the backcountry anyway...