Blisters/Hot Spots

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been breaking in 2 pairs of 10.5 boots over the summer. On longer 3.5-5 mi rucks or longer I am getting hot spots on the balls of my feet and pinky toes. One pair more so than the other. I notice one pair is tighter around my toebox than the other and that is the one that gives me the most trouble. I am somewhat new to this so I am curious, are the blisters/hot spots due to needing more room in the toe box? I am contemplating taking them to a cobbler to get them stretched a little. They aren't terribly tight and I can curl my toes in them but they are snug across the wide part of the forefoot, but I dont need a wide size if that makes sense. My question is how much room is too much or can you stretch them and take up the slack with tighter lacing? I belive the ball of foot hot spots are due to griding out miles while its 90+ degrees and super humid and my feet are sweating a lot. I'll have extra socks while hunting to stop and change and will be a slower pace and shorter distances broken up.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Below are some options and old school trick of two layers of socks works for me. A thin layer sock with your normal boot socks. Another trick is pace you boots up and walk around for 30 seconds and re-tighten your boots. Good luck and hope these options or someone else's works for you!

Leukotape BSN Medical BEI076168 Leukotape P Sports Tape, 1 1/2 Inch x 15 Yard https://a.co/d/idp3anP

Moleskin Baby Soft Cotton Moleskin Adhesive Roll for Skin, Feet, Body, Blisters, Calluses (2" x 15') (1) https://a.co/d/2Q6vN5l

OP
D

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that and I plan on leuko taping my balls(haha) of my feet and my pinky toes as a precaution.

bat-cave

WKR
I am also a big fan of Leukotape. The key for me is taking a proactive approach and pre-taping the areas where I tend to develop hot spots / blisters. For me this is the ball of the foot / edge + big toe and my heels. A single strip on each spot (rounded edges help prevent snagging when pulling on socks) and I am good to go. I've traditionally used the thin (synthetic liner) + a heavier boot sock, though more recently I have been skipping the liner as the Leukotape seems to have replaced the liner (for my feet anyway).

Given the humid conditions, I would think the liner is a good idea and changing your socks also makes sense. While very different, changing socks in the field has been a huge game changer in Whitetail season ... the issue is the same (sweaty feet) ... though the outcome is frozen feet versus blisters ... neither is fun.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
Change the lacing, skip crossing the laces between the first and second eylets, it should give you a little more space in the toe box.

ptmn

FNG
You can also try the Army technique. We fill a tub with hot water. We wear our new boots as we step into the tub for about 5 min. Then the uncomfortable part, we wear those wet boots for at least half a day. When you take them off, stuff them with lots of crinkled up newspapers in an area with NO heat or forced air. I just left mine in the garage. Next morning put them back on and wear them the rest of the day, but change your socks out two or three times, both fir your comfort and to slowly dry your boots. If you dry them too fast with heat or forced air, they might shrink up on you.

If that doesn't work, a good boot cobbler can stretch them. They have to apply a solution and let it soak into the leather before they put the boot stretcher in. They only stretch a small amount at a time, so the next day they reapply the solution and add a couple more turns to the stretcher, so be ready to leave your boots at the cobbler for at least a week.

Also, a good cobbler will make you wear the boots to be stretched with the same type of socks you intend to hike in. You tell him where the hot spots or tight spots are and he will examine the boots as you wear them to determine how much it needs to be stretched and what forming attachments need to be added to the boot stretcher. He might even make you walk in the boots as he evaluates. Good cobblers are getting harder to find these days, so be picky