Blackhorn 209 Reliable in the Cold?

BCD

WKR
I was talking about switching to Blackhorn 209 with a person that knows a lot more about guns than I do and he said he wasn't a fan of Blackhorn 209 because it is not consistently reliable from an ignition standpoint when it gets really cold. I have never heard this before- can anyone comment on their experiences in regard to this?

Thank You!

Djacker

WKR
I live in MN, ive never had an issue with BH209 not going off. I shot a doe when it was 5 degrees this year. Just make sure to use a magnum primer.

ENCORE

WKR
I was talking about switching to Blackhorn 209 with a person that knows a lot more about guns than I do and he said he wasn't a fan of Blackhorn 209 because it is not consistently reliable from an ignition standpoint when it gets really cold. I have never heard this before- can anyone comment on their experiences in regard to this?

Thank You!
I'm sorry to say, the person that knows about guns, knows little about BH209.

If you have the correct breech plug, using the correct primers, don't fall in a creek and keep your powder dry, its going to go off in negative temps.

Want proof?

My rifle was outside in -3° F for 21 hours. Yes, that's correct, negative three degrees for 21 hours.

Show this video to the person who knows all about BH209. Click on the link directly below.

Negative 3 degrees with BH209 after 21hrs - YouTube

Kotaman

WKR
I agree with the above posts. Typically our Black Powder season is conducted in temps below zero. I’ve never had a problem. Now, if you take the gun into a warm place after being out in freezing temps all day, you can definitely have moisture issues with any BP or substitute, but keep the temp stable and the powder dry and you won’t have any problems.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I'm sorry to say, the person that knows about guns, knows little about BH209.

If you have the correct breech plug, using the correct primers, don't fall in a creek and keep your powder dry, its going to go off in negative temps.

Want proof?

My rifle was outside in -3° F for 21 hours. Yes, that's correct, negative three degrees for 21 hours.

Show this video to the person who knows all about BH209. Click on the link directly below.

Negative 3 degrees with BH209 after 21hrs - YouTube
Good info. The guy has owned a gun shop for many years so his comment made me curious and hence my post here.

OXN939

WKR

Thank You!

Not necessarily in reference to the cold, but had a little scare this morning in reference to BH209 reliability.

Went to do my standard pre season range check. Still had about 2/3 or a jug from 2020, stored in a climate controlled room with the cap tightly on. Decided to give it a shot, as I'd used BH209 that was a year plus old before with no sweat. Two "snap- fizzes" in a row. Saboted bullet didn't even exit on the second one.

Went to a newly unopened jug and it was fine. A bit disconcerting, though. Make sure you practice like you play.

ENCORE

WKR
Not necessarily in reference to the cold, but had a little scare this morning in reference to BH209 reliability.

Went to do my standard pre season range check. Still had about 2/3 or a jug from 2020, stored in a climate controlled room with the cap tightly on. Decided to give it a shot, as I'd used BH209 that was a year plus old before with no sweat. Two "snap- fizzes" in a row. Saboted bullet didn't even exit on the second one.

Went to a newly unopened jug and it was fine. A bit disconcerting, though. Make sure you practice like you play.
Something's up but I highly doubt it was the BH.
BH has an indefinite shelf life. Western for over a decade shot the very first run of BH yearly. It maintained 100% of its function.
Not saying you didn't have an issue today but, again I highly doubt it was because of the BH itself.

Gutshotem

WKR
I've been shooting BH for over a decade. I had one hang fire back when I first started using it. It was a two day hunt that was -9 the first morning and -11 the next. I beleive I was using either Winchester or 777 primers. When I got back I read up on the cold weather issues and switched to CCI primers. Never an issue since but obviously, its only a sample of one.

Berger024

WKR
As almost everyone else has stated, breech plug/moisture issues/primer, NOT BH209 itself. Most MZs will have you buy an additional breech plug specifically for granular if you're shooting BH209.

OXN939

WKR
As almost everyone else has stated, breech plug/moisture issues/primer, NOT BH209 itself. Most MZs will have you buy an additional breech plug specifically for granular if you're shooting BH209.

Just to clarify the issue I mentioned, I was using CCI 209 full strength primers in a recently cleaned BH209-specific breech plug, shooting a rifle that I've been using BH209 successfully in for the better part of a decade. I've killed a bunch of animals with this exact load and am very familiar with the normal stumbling blocks for BH209 ignition.

None of those was the case here. I had two hangfires in a row with powder from '20. Then, changing literally nothing else about my setup other than going to the new jug of powder, I had three full ignitions and shot a cloverleaf group at 100.

All I'm saying is, there is no product in the world that's good enough you shouldn't check it before you start hunting, BH209 included.

Berger024

WKR
@OXN939 There could be other undiscovered variables at play. Did the BH209 bottle that fizzled, shoot well previously when you initially used it? I was responding to the OP post and potential issues his friend told him about performance in cold weather, which is incorrect and inaccurate.
I have two jugs of BH209. I re-zero/take a 3 shots before every season with a thorough cleaning in between. The BH209 bottle in use now is from 2015 and still has a little powder in it. Stored in an ammo can, in a climate controlled house. The only issues I've had using that jug have been non-BH209 related. I've had misfires and pop/fizzes, squibs and bullets dropping out the end of my barrel 12' from the muzzle. Every time time it was from my Thor/Barnes not having a good seat and seal, despite having them properly size for my barrel.
I agree with you wholeheartedly though, there is no product in the world that's good enough to rely on 100%. You need to know how it will perform consistantly and at it's best as well as it's limitations.

OXN939

WKR
I have two jugs of BH209. I re-zero/take a 3 shots before every season with a thorough cleaning in between. The BH209 bottle in use now is from 2015 and still has a little powder in it.

The jug I had the two failures with shot great last year, killed several deer with it and it was 100%. I basically use the same procedure you mention above, and this had been perfectly reliable for years until this issue.

One possible culprit I can see is that I live in coastal Virginia, which is one of the most humid regions in the country. The offending bottle was sealed tightly with the top threaded on correctly and original moisture seal still in place, but getting off the plane here after my last few trips out west has been like stepping into a steamed up bathroom with a hot shower running.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
Only time I ever had a problem with moisture in the powder and subsequent failure was after bringing a loaded, but un-primed rifle, from the cold, into a warm environment and back out again.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
People have mention that BH209 is cold weather sensitive”in very cold temps”. Not so much an ignition issue but I believe it’s velocity. So if you have any doubts and you’re traveling to a late season hunt and have your rifle sighted in from the summer. Should throw your magneto speed in the truck. Check speeds and get after it.

DMTJAGER

FNG
Live and hunt in IN and hunt in OH and IL. Have six late season ML hunts so far using a .45 caliber Knight Elite and Encore 209x50. Took more shots at the range in Dec-Feb and never had any issues. But I do not ever let a load sit in the barrel after last day of hunt and never let my ML come in from the cold it stays out in my unheated unattached garage between hunts.