Black Hills Turkey

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone! My buddy and I are headed to the Black Hills for opening weekend. Thankfully, the weather looks great. Hoping it stays that way, heard it can change in a hurry. If anyone has any advice, id kindly appreciate it. I’ve hunted turkeys in PA, VA, TN, NY and KY. Id be willing to trade some info. I do not want your best spot, i mainly just would like to talk to someone that’s been there and listen to their experience! Thanks!

Bulldawg

WKR
What kind of stuff do you want to know? I don't know how the winter has been out there or if all the snow is gone yet, but I imagine that a fair amount of the roads are going to be real slick.

OP
joel_sledz

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of stuff do you want to know? I don't know how the winter has been out there or if all the snow is gone yet, but I imagine that a fair amount of the roads are going to be real slick.
Was mainly wondering if the pressure if anything like it is out west for elk. We go out every year and the past 4 years has been horrific with the amount of people that run around.

Kurts86

WKR
Was mainly wondering if the pressure if anything like it is out west for elk. We go out every year and the past 4 years has been horrific with the amount of people that run around.

Western turkey pressure is laughably low compared to elk hunting. Few people out west care about turkey hunting. Turkey hunting out west is quite a bit easier than pressured birds in the east if the weather cooperates and once you locate birds.

The wildcard for turkeys out west is that weather makes everything in April a dice roll if it’s great warm weather or a blizzard. I’ve seen both and if you are scheduling a trip especially in the hills/mountains may is often a better option. Early the birds are going to be on riparian/ag in the bottoms and some will wander up into the hills below the snow line as the spring goes on.