Binos for My Daughter, Help me Decide Please....

cohenfive

FNG
I am going to get some 10x42 binos for my daughter for birding....budget is 300-550. I'm seeing various models, mint used or new condition. Here is what I'm seeing, need some advice on best value for her first real pair of binos.

2018 Viper HD...Cabelas has them for $300 plus tax, also available locally
Current Viper HD...$400 on rokslide
Meopro HD (old version)....$350-400 on rokslide
Meopro HD plus (new version)....$590 brand new on sale from a dealer
Athlon Chronos G2 UHD....hadn't heard of these but they get good reviews...$455 from a dealer, maybe $400 locally

Also if I am missing anything better than the above, would love to hear suggestions. Thanks!

Leupold BX4 is the best in that price range by far. They’re very very nice for the money. They’re made in Japan vs chinesium and Phillipino for everything else in the price range. You can pick them up like new for $400ish. Euro Optic has “Like New” models for $450, they’re brand new sealed in the wrapper.

Edit, they’re $500 now but still a good deal for new.

OP
C

cohenfive

FNG
I wish there were some bx4 for sale here. These are better than the new meopro hd plus, both are in that 550-600 range including tax...Anyone have experience with the Athlon?

I wish there were some bx4 for sale here. These are better than the new meopro hd plus, both are in that 550-600 range including tax...Anyone have experience with the Athlon?

There were some 10x42's, if they sold they pop up every week or so. I've got some 8X42's listed. The ones from Euro Optic are still within your price range.

Athlon is garbage. BX4's are the best thing that you can buy in your price range.

OP
C

cohenfive

FNG
Thanks, glad to get some real world advice. So you prefer the BX-4 to the Meopro HD Plus? They are both at the top end of my price range.

I tried the bx-4’s. I hated em. I thought they felt like a toy, and to my eyes my c1’s were better. Everybody’s eyes r different I guess.

LOL I use BX4’s along with Swaro EL’s and NL’s. Please explain how they feel like a toy.

Pretty sure C1’s are basically Mavens OEM’d Diamondback HD’s. Mavens B5’s are great binos but the C1’s are pretty mediocre.

Would recommend the Athlon Cronus G2 UHD for a hunting glass but not for birding. The Athlon is very rugged, has very good optics for the money, but the handling and focus mechanism is less than ideal for birding. The average birder will have their optic in-hand far more often than and need to very quickly swing and focus. While sharp optics are still paramount, focus speed, handling, and in-hand comfort are probably more important than to the average hunter.

Don’t personally do a lot of comparison in this price range but bought my wife a GPO Passion ED 8x32 and really like it.
Would recommend calling Doug at Cameralandny to see what he’d recommend.

OP
C

cohenfive

FNG
I will add them to the list. Looks like they are $480 new, pretty much the same price as the meopro hd plus and bx-4. Thanks, I wish some of these were for sale on here!

A very well known member on BirdForum compared 3x binoculars he was considering in this price range extensively and these were his findings:

“Over the this past summer I used three binoculars from this exact segment. Those binoculars were the Zeiss Terra ED 8X42, Nikon M7 8X42, and GPO Passion ED 8X42. I would't consider the Terra ED at it's current retail price, period. It's a good binocular but is overshadowed by the other two. The M7 is lightweight and wins the FOV battle. The Passion ED while a little heavier and slightly less FOV than the M7 was easily my favorite. Optics, construction, and focus adjustment were its forte. Really it was pretty easy for me to come to the conclusion it was the best binocular of the three. it really comes across as a more expensive binocular.”

I posted this here as this is specifically intended as a birding glass and Chuck is an extensively experienced birder, optics aficionado, and well respected member of BF. These were his findings after considerable side-by-side comparison for use as a birding glass. He really likes the GPO Passion ED, as do a number of other very well known members of BF.

Also, if you are a veteran GPO does offer a military discount.

A very well known member on BirdForum compared 3x binoculars he was considering in this price range extensively and these were his findings:

“Over the this past summer I used three binoculars from this exact segment. Those binoculars were the Zeiss Terra ED 8X42, Nikon M7 8X42, and GPO Passion ED 8X42. I would't consider the Terra ED at it's current retail price, period. It's a good binocular but is overshadowed by the other two. The M7 is lightweight and wins the FOV battle. The Passion ED while a little heavier and slightly less FOV than the M7 was easily my favorite. Optics, construction, and focus adjustment were its forte. Really it was pretty easy for me to come to the conclusion it was the best binocular of the three. it really comes across as a more expensive binocular.”

I posted this here as this is specifically intended as a birding glass and Chuck is an extensively experienced birder, optics aficionado, and well respected member of BF. These were his findings after considerable side-by-side comparison for use as a birding glass. He really likes the GPO Passion ED, as do a number of other very well known members of BF.

Also, if you are a veteran GPO does offer a military discount.

Doesn't even know the difference between chinese BX1/2's and Japanese BX4's, uses the cheap chinese BX1/2's failing as a reference to Japanese BX4's quality... then proceeds to recommend 3 other piece of junk chinese OEM'd optics made by Kunming, the same chinese OEM that makes those cheap Leupolds that broke in half. LOL

You're all over the place.

“LOL” or similar emojis followed by hyperbole and vast over-generalizations are a lazy cop-out often used as a distraction when positions taken on the issues at hand are challenged and exposed. But it certainly doesn‘t help clarify anything.

The destroyed binocular pictured demonstrate that Leupold has a history of using inferior materials/components/tolerances in their BX series binoculars. Denying that obvious truth is just plain foolish. Many who have used and/or compared the BX Series to other makes and models (including me) have doubts about their build quality compared to comparable offerings from other companies.

Also, in the year 2023 global OEM manufacturing is simply amazing and there is ever-increasing capability to produce high quality components and optical devices across the entire globe. For example, Schott has been manufacturing optical glass outside of Germany since 1967 and today has plants in over 30 countries. So that highly touted Schott Glass in your favorite binocular or spotter could have just as easily come from a plant in Indonesia or Malaysia as from Europe. It is ever-more focused on engineering and materials specifications/tolerances than place of manufacture. It is also quite naive to conclude that Japanese OEMs (or those based in any other country) are completely internally or locally sourced and not using some globally sourced housings, chassis, or other components/materials. Some supply components or groups of components to undergo final assembly and QA in yet another country. Today’s fiercely competitive environment practically demands taking advantage of economies of scale while still meeting specifications and tolerances. The notion that all Chinese OEM products are garbage and all Japanese OEM products are superb is simply untrue. It is equally false to claim that all Kunming manufactured products and components are of equal quality; same for Kamakura. Performance of today’s binoculars are much more about engineering/design/materials specifications and tolerances than where they are sourced.

As far are recommending GPO binoculars. Yes, I’ll stand behind that. A number of very well respected members on BirdForum have also been very impressed with them including those who perform detailed objective testing, such as the House of Outdoor.

Last edited:
“LOL” or similar emojis followed by hyperbole and vast over-generalizations are a lazy cop-out often used as a distraction when positions taken on the issues at hand are challenged and exposed. But it certainly doesn‘t help clarify anything.

The destroyed binocular pictured demonstrate that Leupold has a history of using inferior materials/components/tolerances in their BX series binoculars. Denying that obvious truth is just plain foolish. Many who have used and/or compared the BX Series to other makes and models (including me) have doubts about their build quality compared to comparable offerings from other companies.

Also, in the year 2023 global OEM manufacturing is simply amazing and there is ever-increasing capability to produce high quality components and optical devices across the entire globe. For example, Schott has been manufacturing optical glass outside of Germany since 1967 and today has plants in over 30 countries. So that highly touted Schott Glass in your favorite binocular or spotter could have just as easily come from a plant in Indonesia or Malaysia as from Europe. It is ever-more focused on engineering and materials specifications/tolerances than place of manufacture. It is also quite naive to conclude that Japanese OEMs (or those based in any other country) are completely internally or locally sourced and not using some globally sourced housings, chassis, or other components/materials. Some supply components or groups of components to undergo final assembly and QA in yet another country. Today’s fiercely competitive environment practically demands taking advantage of economies of scale while still meeting specifications and tolerances. The notion that all Chinese OEM products are garbage and all Japanese OEM products are superb is simply untrue. It is equally false to claim that all Kunming manufactured products and components are of equal quality; same for Kamakura. Performance of today’s binoculars are much more about engineering/design/materials specifications and tolerances than where they are sourced.

As far are recommending GPO binoculars. Yes, I’ll stand behind that. A number of very well respected members on BirdForum have also been very impressed with them including those who perform detailed objective testing, such as the House of Outdoor.

You clearly haven’t a clue how OEM works. No BX4’s aren’t fragile junk just because the Kunming OEM’d BX1’s are. They aren’t even the same design or materials used. They are entirely different. The BX4’s and BX5’s that are both made in the same Japanese factory are also entirely different even. You’re clueless.

I had a pair of Kunming OEM’d Diamondbacks that’s fell from chest level on a rock striking the right objective and broke in half just like those BX1’s you referenced. My oldest pair of BX4’s have been dropped way way worse numerous times and I’ve even slipped and fell on them while hiking and three haven’t broke.

You’re commenting on a product that you have no clue about based on an experience with an entirely different product that’s the same Chinese junk that you’re also pimping with a different companies branding on it.

And yes, Chinese optics are junk. Sorry to hurt your feelings. Doesn’t matter that someone gives a good review, you can find positive reviews on anything. I still think those Diamondbacks are very good for the money, but they’re Chinese junk in the grand scheme of things. Vortex replaced them for free and I gave them away.