binocular weight

LostArra

WKR
What is your threshold weight for a binocular to be considered "heavy"?

No one seems to complain about the weight of the Swaro EL or SLC HD, both 28oz so I'm thinking it's over that.

A good harness seems to take care of most weight issues so maybe more than 28?

I use the 10x32 el's for backpack hunts. I have the 10x42 el's for non backpack hunts but seem to use the 10x32 anyway. Not sure on weight and I'm to lazy to look it up right now. And I don't use a harness.

28.7 oz for the Razor HD 12x50's. I use a harness but the weight isn't so much a factor for carry as it is for glassing. I can easily glass offhand with these bino's and not have issues, and they are pretty wicked on a tripod setup to boot with that 12x.

Mike

Daniel_M

WKR
Swaro 10x42 SLC HD @ 28oz. Binos dont get the ounce counter nod on my part, they have a specific use and generally all good glass in the 10x42 range are right around the same weight.

Swaro 10x42 @ 28
Zeiss Victory @ 26.9

Lawnboi

WKR
Not looking to cut weight on my optics, however after using 30mm size binocs I think that an 8x30-32 size is where I will be staying.

18oz swaro cl 8x

They do feel like nothing in my harness though

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Weight is secondary to me with optics. Function is top priority. This coming from a guy who cuts the handle off his toothbrush.

I have 32 and 42 glass and almost always use the 42. I like that extra little umph they give me at first and last light. My 42s weigh 29 oz and are not a problem with a decent harness even when worn all day long.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
I went back and re-read my question and it was poorly worded. I wasn't looking to cut weight in optics but just seeing if the usual hunting models were not a weight liability. If I have both hands free, 42's weighing 28oz up to 32oz work the best for me. For a quick one hand glance with my bow in the other, the smaller 32's at under 20oz are better.

But I got the answer I was looking for. Carrying good glass under 30 oz is worth it and if 32's will work, that's even better.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Some would say that it's easier to hold a heavier binocular steady, even one handed. I bow hunt with both and have never developed a preference in that regard. Of course I'm nearly 200 lbs of adrenalin packed fury, so 2 pounds in the fist versus 1.25 isn't an issue.

I pack my swaro 10x50s that come in at a whopping 41oz. Someday I'll get the ELs, but as far as I'm concerned, they are worth the extra weight.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pack the Swaro 12x50's and honestly never notice the weight between them and the Swaro 10x42's. and I don't care about binoc weight. If I can't find them I can't hunt them, so I go with what gets the job done for me.

MattB

WKR
When I dropped just a few ounces in my binoculars, I found that a bit more hand shake resulted. It's a bit like the old addage with rifles: it is nice to carry an ultralight, but when the shot comes it is nice to have a bit more weight to steady the weapon. All in all, I agree with the other folks who don't focus on binocular weight, because to some degree weight and performance positively correlate. I currently use the original EL 10x42's.

My Victory HT's weigh 28.4 oz and are very comfortable to handle and wear.
I believe, I could handle up to 35 oz but wouldn't want to go any heavier.