Bino and magnification upgrade.

Lamb

FNG
Gday, there are a lot of versions of this question out there but havent found a super specific answer.

Pretty new hunter in Socal. Been using vortex viper 8x on my chest and tripod.

Looking to do one of two things.

1. Replace the 8x with a vortex 12x uhd as the only optic I carry. (Also considering the maven b5 but its half a pound heavier for not that much less cash. Weight isnt eveeyrhing but it plays. Another option is the 11x45 maven but I think the bigger objextive will serve me better).

Or

2. Keeping the 8x on my chest and getting the maven b5 15x for the tripod.

Set on vortex and maven for a couple of reasons. First based on reading a tonne of reviews they are great for the price and I dont want to spend on swaros. They have good deals for military. Second I break everything I touch and the warranties are great. Third maven beats out vortex for at least being put together in America and I want to buy American made when I can.

Reason to carry only one bino is for weight, and because I like minimal gear. Reason for thinking about the 15s is just to have more opportunity to glass deer. Ill never carry a spotting scope, I just dont like looking through them.

Third option is to upgrade to nicer 10x binos. For some reason im not as keen on this.

Appreciate any input.

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
JStol5, Are you saying go with the 12x mavens and accept the extra weight, or keep the 8s and get some maven 15s to go along with?

WKR
8x and 15x would give you more flexibility for different hunts. 12x would be rough in some thick areas I hunt.

kota

FNG
I would keep the 8s and add 15s in brand of your choice, but then I am not a fan of 12x as a stand alone optic. YMMV.

A buddy has maven 15s and they are nice. I have had meopta spotting and rifle scopes that were top notch. I had a pair of 15x vortex kaibab HDs and sold them…

10ringer

WKR
8/15x combo is a force to be reckoned with! 8/15 or 8/18 would be my two bino combo of choice.

Keep your 8’s ( if Japan model) add maven 15’s or vortex uhd 18’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
Thanks folks.

I think you are all correct. I just didnt want to hear the answer was to carry more stuff. I think ill go with the 8x and some new maven b5 15x56s. Appreciate the meopta idea. I am sure they are nice but the mavens are a great price and seem to be highly regarded.

Cheers.

CAM_D

FNG
I agree with the others above. I used to chest carry 10x42's and use 18x56 for looking further when needed. I upgraded my chest carry from BX4's to EL 8.5x42 and have been really happy. Then I switched my 18x Kaibabs to some 15x SL's and feel like I have the best setup for what I hunt out here in NM. I still carry a light kowa spotter on some hunts, but usually can do everything needed with the 15x. I have some 12x50's and since they're just in the middle of my others, they never get used. FOV isn't great for normal glassing, and they're a little heavy for chest carry.

nobody

WKR
I would keep the 8s and add 15s in brand of your choice, but then I am not a fan of 12x as a stand alone optic. YMMV.
Ditto on this. I've never understood the popularity with 12's personally. I know lots of guys use them successfully, and that's great! But what kills me is the way guys try to convince people that a 12 is the way to go: "Get a 12, you CAN still hand hold it if you need to." The inflection in their voice makes it seem like even they don't fully believe what they're saying. I'm 30 and healthy, and I'm man enough to admit that I can't effectively hand hold 12's for quick looks when stalking or still hunting or hiking along, especially not one handed.

That said, OP, it's never a bad idea to upgrade binos while you have the coin. If you have the means, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your 8's to a higher end 8x42 or a 10x50. My vote would be to go that route instead and get your primary bino 100% squared away, and then look at adding auxiliary glass to the mix after you've done that.

Hoodie

WKR
I've gone back and forth over this a few times, and have spent a decent amount of time glassing with 8x/15x and just 12x. If weight isn't a big concern I'd go 8x/15x.

One of the benefits (to me) that I rarely see mentioned: When you have two optics you always have your chest bino available for quick scans of open areas to see if something has stepped out while you were focusing on another area with your tripod bino. It's nice to be able to come off your tripod glass for a minute or two and just scan the area with a bino that has a much bigger FOV.

That said, 12x can be a good compromise when weight matters and 90%+ of your glassing is off a tripod. I'd look at the Maven B6 12x50 for that.

SoCal has a lot of variety. If you're hunting the desert the 12x could be a good way to save weight. If it's a mix of open desert and thicker chaparral/oak stuff the 8x/15x combo is going to be way more versatile.