Bighorn TL3 sa with Proof prefit 6.5 prc loads?

elj1973

FNG
Just finished up a build of Bighorn TL3 sa with a 26" Proof prefit and hawkins hunter DBM with a max oal of 2.980. Looking for some suggestions of loads that have worked well in similar set-ups. Loads will be for hunting mule deer and antelope in Wy.
Components I have on hand are;
Lapua brass
CCI 200'S and Fed 210M
Eldm's in 140 and 147
Eldx's 143
Powder retumbo & rl-26 but would like to find something that's alittle more attainable Been seeing H4831sc available any luck with that?
Trying to save the rl-26 for my 7 mag.

Woitey

FNG
I have two Coopers, one in 6.5 Creedmoor and the other in 6.5 PRC. Cooper used 124 Hammer Hunters for each gun for their test target. For the PRC in my rifle it was 56.0 grains of Ramshot Magnum. I increased that to 61.0 grains for 3100 fps over a Labradar. .2 three shot groups. The PRC shot half inchish groups with Hornaday factory 143x.'s and I took a cow elk with that load at a bit over 350 yards. I have heard good things about 4831SC but haven't loaded for it as I don't think I can beat my Hammer recipe. Reloader 23 in my gun with Hammers were a no go. 210 primers are my go to. Both guns have 1 in 8 twist. Hammers are almost always in stock. The Creedmoor will also shoot in the .2's for three shots with 124 Hammer Hunters using 38.0 grains of Varget for 2870 fps. As well as the Hornaday factory shot in my PRC, I'm sold on these Hammers.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
N565 and H1000 are two very good choices but they're also a couple of powders that have been on the unobtanium list for quite awhile so finding some to try may be a little difficult and if you do find some, from a private seller maybe, be prepared to sell a kidney to buy but I suppose that's about with anything now days.

Also, that sounds like a pretty nice new build you have.

OP
elj1973

elj1973

FNG
N565 and H1000 are two very good choices but they're also a couple of powders that have been on the unobtanium list for quite awhile so finding some to try may be a little difficult and if you do find some, from a private seller maybe, be prepared to sell a kidney to buy but I suppose that's about with anything now days.

Also, that sounds like a pretty nice new build you have.
Thanks, Been really loving the other Bighorn SR3 build I did in 7mm mag.