Bighorn lamb tip find

Looney

FNG
Anyone ever found a broken ram horn? I was hunting morels in an area known to hold sheep and came across this. Not 100% certain what I’m looking at.

Any guesses?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Snyd

WKR
Sheep horn. The big end was at some poing attached to the skull, the cone. Your sig says Kodiak, AK but you didn't find a Bighorn horn here. I don't know what state you are in but different states have laws on picking up Bighorn horns. Some it's illegal, some you have to let the state know you found it, blah blah. You might want to check on that. Here in AK you can pick up, keep sell as many Dall Sheep horns as you want. Can't be sold attached to the skull plate though.

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
Perry, you might want to rethink that. Try picking up a deadhead Dall sheep skull or horn down around the Wrangels (preserve or park) and watch the NPS pounce. 100% unlawful.

Looney, hard-broomed sheep horn removed from the nerve center (cone.) Could have been a cat or wolf kill or some other cause. I hunted the Laramie Mts. in WY. in the mid-90's and found approximately 30 bighorn skulls (true story) most of them ewes, deep in the mountains there. To say they had a mountain lion problem was an understatement. The carnage was insane.

Last edited:

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm no expert, but something about that horn doesn't look right....

I have seen sheep horns broken off that far back, but I've never seen one broken that far back and rubbed smooth like that. Is it possible that we are looking at something other than a sheep horn?

OP
L

Looney

FNG
Hey guys, I'm no expert, but something about that horn doesn't look right....

I have seen sheep horns broken off that far back, but I've never seen one broken that far back and rubbed smooth like that. Is it possible that we are looking at something other than a sheep horn?
That’s what I was thinking as well, I just don’t know what that might be.

It is 100% horn, but that’s about all I know. Maybe some sort of domestic? There aren’t any in the area to my knowledge, but you never know.

Snyd

WKR
Perry, you might want to rethink that. Try picking up a deadhead Dall sheep skull or horn down around the Wrangels (preserve or park) and watch the NPS pounce. 100% unlawful.

Looney, hard-broomed sheep horn removed from the nerve center (cone.) Could have been a cat or wolf kill or some other cause. I hunted the Laramie Mts. in WY. in the mid-90's and found approximately 30 bighorn skulls (true story) most of them ewes, deep in the mountains there. To say they had a mountain lion problem was an understatement. The carnage was insane.
Yup, you are right. All National Parks it's a no-no.

Broomd

WKR
I dunno about bison, maybe a domestic sheep/ram?
We lacked context here, I was assuming that this horn was found in wild sheep country.

"Assuming" will get ya every time. :)

OP
L

Looney

FNG
I dunno about bison, maybe a domestic sheep/ram?
We lacked context here, I was assuming that this horn was found in wild sheep country.

"Assuming" will get ya every time. :)
No bison in the area for sure, but I’m not 100% on the domestic sheep situation. The curl seems way too tight to be a bighorn, but I’m not sure. Thinking I’ll take it in to fish and game and see what they think.

sdcowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a cow horn to me. Have many of them laying around the ranch. Possible a wolf or coyote dragged it off. They love to chew on them.