Biggest bang for the buck LH Rem 700 300RUM

Dirtydog

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting to invest in my LH Remington 300RUM LSS. It is currently bone stock aside from a muzzle break that I had a local gunsmith install. I want to start to improve in the rifles accuracy. I have a small budget $600ish to drop and want to get the most bang for my buck.

I use this primarily for mountain hunting so weight is of concern, but I would like to get it as accurate as possible. Currently considering replacing the laminated stock with a HS precision or McMillian stock and a trigger ( timney, Jewell).
1. Is the McMillian really worth the extra money over HS Precision? It looks like I would spend close to an extra $200 for the McMillian.
2. If I stay with the stock barrel is it worth having the action trued?
3. What am i gaining in spending the extra on a Jewell vs the Timney?
As you can tell I am very green on this but am excited to start learning.
If this was your rifle what would you do with the limited funds to increase accuracy?
Thanks in advance

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have trigger tech trigger on my 700 and like it a lot. The most wieght loss will come from the stock everything else costs a bunch more compared to the wieght you save

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Are you handloading or shooting factory ammo?

For a $600 budget I think there are 2 best options.

1. Will be a buy a stock and pay to bed the action and buy a Timney and install it yourself. (You could save some money and bed it yourself if you are inclined.)

2. If you were hell bent on blueprinting the action you could probably find a smith who would true the action and bed it in the current stock plus a Timney for within your budget.

You won't be able to rebarrel, bed, plus a stock and a trigger for anywhere close to $600.

kcm2

WKR
Here is my answer.

Lighten it in stages. Start with stock. Get a custom Kevlar, lose a pound.

Next year or two, get a skinny match barrel.

Year after that, get a match trigger.

After that, you are probably done. Everything else is expensive and yields small results.

kcm2

WKR
You can also look at lighter scope mounts or a lighter scope. But I have listed the big stuff that will make things better.

mtmuley

WKR
I've done this, sorta. First, the trigger. Most gain for the money. Second, the stock. I went with a B&C Alaskan Ti that I bedded. Light, seems of decent quality, and half the cost of a Mickey. Trueing the action may or may not help, and would still be in budget with the two upgrades I recommended. Then it would be done if/when you re-barrel. Saw a skinny barrel recommended. Bad idea. My rifle weighs about 8.5 lbs and shoots 200 grain Accubonds 3200 fps at 1/2 MOA. Better than that when I am. Carries well, but still heavy enough to be solid in the field. mtmuley

WKR
What scope do you have on it? What mounts are you using? How is it shooting now? What loads are you using?

cooperjd

WKR
I've done this, sorta. First, the trigger. Most gain for the money. Second, the stock. I went with a B&C Alaskan Ti that I bedded. Light, seems of decent quality, and half the cost of a Mickey.

i've done the exact same thing to my R700 7RM and 338RUM. check out ernie the gunsmith website and get his little spacers so you can free float the action and barrel, the spacers will sit on top of the aluminum block in the stock to act as pillars. i dug the crap out of the barrel channel of the stock for a lot of clearance, and bedded about an inch past the lug.... i swapped the triggers for direct fit timneys and adjusted both to about 2.5#. neither of these rifles are all that light, with steel bases, rings and 4-16 vortex on there, but i havent' gotten to the point of going for an ultra lightweight rifle just yet.

i think you can pick up a b&c for $280ish, and the timney for 125 or so. that leaves some cash to find some good, lightweight rings/bases, or maybe have your bolt fluted. i know that won't really save weight, but it looks cool :)