Big Big Bucks! with Jason Carter

CorbLand

WKR
So do I listen to this on Epic or Rokslides podcast…or both?

Both sounds good.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Good podcast. I'm not sure about Jason, he seems to have a negative vibe towards state wildlife agencies. I just don't agree with most of what he thinks. We are learning so much from collard deer, especially with how important summer range is versus what we thought of winter range and the negative effects of elk distribution on the landscape. In my recent experience, I'm seeing some amazing class bucks that are in places I haven't seen before. Everything is cyclical on this planet especially with big bucks. I recommend a listen to the ID Management podcast that Robby just had with Toby Boudreau. There are new and important things being discovered with mule deer every year, so in my opinion and what I know through sources is positive for big bucks. Thanks for these podcasts Robby.

CorbLand

WKR
Good podcast. I'm not sure about Jason, he seems to have a negative vibe towards state wildlife agencies. I just don't agree with most of what he thinks. We are learning so much from collard deer, especially with how important summer range is versus what we thought of winter range and the negative effects of elk distribution on the landscape. In my recent experience, I'm seeing some amazing class bucks that are in places I haven't seen before. Everything is cyclical on this planet especially with big bucks. I recommend a listen to the ID Management podcast that Robby just had with Toby Boudreau. There are new and important things being discovered with mule deer every year, so in my opinion and what I know through sources is positive for big bucks. Thanks for these podcasts Robby.
A lot of Utah residents are not happy with the Division right now. Especially those that live in Southern Utah. I think that is what you were seeing.

Utahans think the only thing to create big bucks is to cut tags, even though they have been doing it for 15 years and it hasnt gotten better. But hey, if we just cut tags again, it will get better.

Honestly, that was probably one of the things that stood out to me is you have two guys that love the same thing and have two completely different thoughts on how to achieve it.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of Utah residents are not happy with the Division right now. Especially those that live in Southern Utah. I think that is what you were seeing.

Utahans think the only thing to create big bucks is to cut tags, even though they have been doing it for 15 years and it hasnt gotten better. But hey, if we just cut tags again, it will get better.
Interesting. From my experience, reducing tags and creating more draw tags isn't the answer either. Good management and rigorous public participation and transparency will create the best hunting for all of us. The challenges of our changing climate as with our changing habitat just pushes bucks to unorthodox places. I'm fortunate like Robby I have horses and I'm able to get to places guys deem uninhabitable by deer. I'm glad they think that way. Thanks for updating me on Utah's struggles.

CorbLand

WKR
Interesting. From my experience, reducing tags and creating more draw tags isn't the answer either. Good management and rigorous public participation and transparency will create the best hunting for all of us. The challenges of our changing climate as with our changing habitat just pushes bucks to unorthodox places. I'm fortunate like Robby I have horses and I'm able to get to places guys deem uninhabitable by deer. I'm glad they think that way. Thanks for updating me on Utah's struggles.
I am a little more of the opinion that there is a big deer in every unit and if I have the tag in my pocket, I have a chance at it. Doesnt matter how many big deer there are if I cant get a tag.

I am a little more of the opinion that there is a big deer in every unit and if I have the tag in my pocket, I have a chance at it. Doesnt matter how many big deer there are if I cant get a tag.
Amen. Say it from the rooftops.

I think @robby denning did an excellent job trying to suggest this on this podcast.

Great listen. I appreciate your optimism @robby denning. Of course if we drastically limit tags, like the early 2000s in Colorado, plus have some favorable weather the hunting will be great. But like you I want to hunt every year and will gladly take yearly opportunity over having fewer tags and bigger bucks. Praying for some wet, warm winters the next couple years!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good conversation guys, thanks for chiming in. I’m not even saying I’m right, I just know if we keep cutting tags and cutting tags pretty soon we’ll just be sitting on the sidelines. Wondering what happened. Almost there in some units.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys could come over to the dark side and "try" hunting big whitetails. I'm talking majestic studs not the run of the mill whitetail bucks. I realize it might take a refresher course in hunting for some of y'all given the whitetail's high level survival instinct and animal intellectual superiority over their big eared cousins.

That said I did gain more respect for these guys after my mulie hunt last year in Wy. I also gained more of an understanding of how special mule deer are and sometimes how fragile their existence is. Mule deer hunters can disagree on many topics but need to unite over saving these critters and working to save good habitat for these guys to survive and thrive.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoyed the podcast the different perspectives was interesting.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised of a guy making money helping others get limited tags would suggest tags need to be further restricted.

Glad I listened to the end. The ups and downs of the stories really highlighted why chasing big bucks is so addictive.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
I was at work one day and a guy was there complaining about how deer were being managed. I asked him would you rather A) get two tags in 40 years but your guaranteed a 200 inch deer on those two tags or B) get a tag every year for 40 years and kill two 200 inch deer? He said option A.

That was the moment that I realized that some people don’t want to hunt. They want to hunt for a day or two and pay to get a deer mounted to show off to their buddies.

CorbLand

WKR
Enjoyed the podcast the different perspectives was interesting.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised of a guy making money helping others get limited tags would suggest tags need to be further restricted.

Glad I listened to the end. The ups and downs of the stories really highlighted why chasing big bucks is so addictive.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Honestly, there are very few people that work similar jobs I would say this about but I really don’t think Jason cares about the financial gain cutting tags brings. Granted I don’t know him personally.

The bigger thing I think at play is he has the financial freedom and time to hunt multiple states. Getting a tag every three to five years is a lot easier pill to swallow when you can play in three to five states so you have at least a tag a year.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, there are very few people that work similar jobs I would say this about but I really don’t think Jason cares about the financial gain cutting tags brings. Granted I don’t know him personally.

The bigger thing I think at play is he has the financial freedom and time to hunt multiple states. Getting a tag every three to five years is a lot easier pill to swallow when you can play in three to five states so you have at least a tag a year.
If there's anyone who has been able to get maximum benefit from points systems across the board -- though personal hunting and as a business it's Jason Carter. No doubt those experiences will shape a persons perspective. I found it interesting but definitely not the perspective I personally have.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Good conversation guys, thanks for chiming in. I’m not even saying I’m right, I just know if we keep cutting tags and cutting tags pretty soon we’ll just be sitting on the sidelines. Wondering what happened. Almost there in some units.
I agree with Robby

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for getting these out there Robby, the recent podcasts have been incredible. Nothing will kill hunting faster than increasingly limited opportunity. The financial barrier is already high, keep cutting tags and people will give up. Kids won’t get into it at all, their parents will stop going and pretty soon we’re all old men lamenting about the good ole days. One of the most important takeaways I had listening to all the stuff at home in Wyoming the last few years was someone at game and fish saying that current license structure was not causing a biological or population issue with animals, and that the problems were a social issue. People want things to be cheap and fast and easy and they want it all the time and all to themselves. There are massive bucks photographed on Wyoming’s winter ranges EVERY YEAR. And guess what, those bucks didn’t get shot by hunters. Probably for several years in a row coming from units that people complain hunters have killed all the deer. Where “hunter pressure is ruining the herd”. At some point people have just created a habit of complaining instead of going out and enjoying the opportunity that they have