Big Agnes Gold Camp UL5 Tipi

Does anyone have any experience with these newer shelters from Big Agnes? I am looking for a lightweight shelter capable of fitting 2 people and a stove for varying hunting trips. It will likely only be used a few days a year as we mostly truck camp, this set up would be used to spike in for a couple days at a time if necessary. I know I would need to install a stove jack, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not opposed to spending the money on a Seek or Argali set up, but these look like a reasonably well made set up from a well known company.

Rockchuck

WKR
Looks like a carbon copy of the old golite sl5. If I remember right, Big Agnes sold some of their remaining stock or rebranded stock for a short time at the breakup of Golite. That may explain the roots of it showing up now via big agnes and the similarities to the GoLite's. I owned that one for a while and enjoyed it for what it was. Also had Bearpaw designs fab a 2 man inner mesh that turned half the tent into a huge vestibule. Handy tent if not pitched too exposed. I think I would use it more now vs 15 years ago when I camped high and exposed for mule deer hunting vs mid mountain chasing elk more often now. Maybe I will have to snag one too!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with these newer shelters from Big Agnes? I am looking for a lightweight shelter capable of fitting 2 people and a stove for varying hunting trips. It will likely only be used a few days a year as we mostly truck camp, this set up would be used to spike in for a couple days at a time if necessary. I know I would need to install a stove jack, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not opposed to spending the money on a Seek or Argali set up, but these look like a reasonably well made set up from a well known company.

No experience with the new shelters but I have had a big agnus UL3 Copper Spur with MTNglo for years. It's a good tent for 1 guy and all of his gear. It could fit 2 people, but you better really like the guy or girl because it's going to be cozy.

I survived more than a few pretty serious storms in the high country of Colorado in mine and it is very lightweight, and it has a floor...

Costs on this stuff have skyrocketed over the years.

jedi7

FNG
Bump. I have not used it but I am eyeing the Big Agnes Gold Camp UL3 Tipi. Would love to hear reviews from someone that's used it in the field.

I have a friend who owns one and is happy with it. I've slept in it. No issues. Seemed similar in quality to my old Black Diamond Mega Light, and those are expedition grade shelters. The fabric is not the same quality as what you'll get from Seek Outside, but if you take care of it and don't put it away wet it should last for a long time.