BH209 alternative

Yep, user error hasn’t gotten several folks over the years. BH209 hasn’t gotten me that many extra shots without cleaning for me to worry with using it. Even if it did, that would be a moot point for me. I start the season with a clean barrel regardless of the powder. Two shots at a time, at the max, is all I’ve ever gotten on a deer.
Hmm. Maybe user error on the Bh? I use BH in 4 rifles of different names and I can go to the range with any of them and shoot 25+ shots without swabbing once or getting a change in POI.

I do clean out the primer pocket after about 20 shots but you can do that by either removing the breech plug or not. That said I just shot with my new Lehigh breech-plug and shot 12 times and there was hardly any build up.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Remember you are talking to someone that uses and recommended pellets. Wonder if he likes Powerbelts too? :ROFLMAO:

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Sportsmans here got a decent amount yesterday. If your close to one, it may be worth checking. I think it was ~50 bucks for 10oz.
They changed the weight from 10oz to 8oz. Better double check that weight. "So more shooters can have powder ". That sounds better than "we sneakily raised prices but kept the bottle looking the same"

OP
Julius K

Julius K

FNG
BH - simply easy cleaning method for me! Well - in fact same method for T7.

Uisng Blue Windex, B-Casey liquid 2-in-1 Bore Scrubber and Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Works like a champ!
Is this between shots or at the end of the day on the range? Thanks

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Use 50/50 Windex/rubbing alcohol for a swabbing mix. You can make up patches a head of time for swabbing. The alcohol helps prevent it from freezing and speeds up drying. ISO-HEET works great also for the isopropyl since its nearly 100% alcohol. Pretty much any auto parts place carries it.

Is this between shots or at the end of the day on the range? Thanks
No not for between shots.... for between shots or when needed I use a simple Blue Windex patch - In fact I use the same patch over and over. The key is not use a 'Wet' patch but a slightly damp patch. When you get them right you do not even have to run a dry patch after. Slightly damp patch plus the heat of the bore quickly evaporates the ammonia and slight bit of water.

WinPatch.jpg

If your breech plug is sticking you need to smear some anti-cease on that sucker.

Also, if I don't swab after 2 shots with BH209 my groups open up very quickly. I am good for a follow up shot but if I shoot 5 times in a row without swabbing things open up pretty bad. 5"+ at 100 yards

CorbLand

WKR
They changed the weight from 10oz to 8oz. Better double check that weight. "So more shooters can have powder ". That sounds better than "we sneakily raised prices but kept the bottle looking the same"
Thats what I thought too but the ones that we got were 10oz. Could be hold overs from before the switch.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
If your breech plug is sticking you need to smear some anti-cease on that sucker.

Also, if I don't swab after 2 shots with BH209 my groups open up very quickly. I am good for a follow up shot but if I shoot 5 times in a row without swabbing things open up pretty bad. 5"+ at 100 yards
And thats another thing that makes a mess in some conditions. Ever had to unload a charge you did not fire? The powder sticks to grease or anti seize like mad. A light coat of good oil and Teflon tape works also.

If you are going to use a grease or anti seize use Lucas Extreme Duty gun grease. Still messy to remove but it works better than most products. Moly paste works even better but its a PITA if you get it on you.

Plugs like the CVA QRBP need nothing more than a light coat of oil no matter what powder you use. You can even get by with running it dry because it seals very well at the nose of the plug. Old CVA plugs, well ive seen then stick with even the best anti seize. Busting them loose after a few shots and snugging them back down is the best bet to avoid a stuck plug.

I’ve never had any issues with doing so. If I did, that would be another reason for me not to use it.
Why would anyone want to clean a rifle with soapy water? The 1800s called - they want their cleaning method back….🤣