BH209 alternative

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use 777 pellets. I tried BH209 and can’t stand it. If you can’t use pellets, then I guess BH209 is ok, but I don’t and the juice ain’t worth the squeeze for me.

I believe there are two viable options!

The best is probably Triple 7 powder - but there is a learning curve and the Second is probably real Swiss Black Powder.

Both of these can produce similar velocities.

BH is less corrosive than T7, but T7 is not as corrosive as some would tell you.

The benefit of BH is it is simple to use.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Real Swiss is a lot easier to ignite than any of the substitutes. Guys get wrapped up with BH209 because it's easier to clean and they have this idea that they don't have to clean as much with 209. You HAVE to clean after every shooting session no matter which type of powder you are shooting.

OP
Julius K

Julius K

FNG
Thanks.

How do you guys manage your muzz in season? Our deer season runs 2
Weeks. Do you discharge and clean after every outing in the two weeks?

I didn’t find BH any easier to clean than Triple 7 pellets. However, both are easy to clean with soapy water.

Usually, mine stays loaded until the next season. Lol.
You shouldn’t clean BH 209
With soapy water. It should be cleaned with an oil based cleaner like Hoppes

That said, 777 is just as easy to clean. The real advantage of BH 109 is that I can go to the range and shoot 25-30 shots without Swabbing once.

Last edited:
BH - simply easy cleaning method for me! Well - in fact same method for T7.

Uisng Blue Windex, B-Casey liquid 2-in-1 Bore Scrubber and Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Works like a champ!

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
You shouldn’t clean BH 209
With soapy water. It should be cleaned with an oil based cleaner like Hoppes

That said, 777 is just as easy to clean. The real advantage of BH 109 is that I can go to the range and shoot 25-30 shots without Swabbing once.
And a 10yr old bottle will go bang just like it did the day it was made. All other subs degrade to some extent and are far more hygroscopic. They suck up moister from the air. A rifle loaded up with BH209 can pretty much stay loaded all season until the shot is available. Unfired you have virtually no chance of rust and even fired the fouling is far less corrosive.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
My centerfires don’t have a removable breech plugs, either.
Not sure how that means anything other than i have never had a plug stick using BH209. Ive had plenty stick using other subs.

BH209 is nitro based. Nitrate esters to be exact. So its a toned down smokeless with a tiny bit of organic compounds added. Cant imagine why i would want to introduce water into the equation.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Not sure how that means anything other than i have never had a plug stick using BH209. Ive had plenty stick using other subs.

BH209 is nitro based. Nitrate esters to be exact. So its a toned down smokeless with a tiny bit of organic compounds added. Cant imagine why i would want to introduce water into the equation.

I’ve never had a breech plug stick while using 777 powder. Maybe your issue is user error and not the powder?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Well it happens to literally 1000s of shooters each year and its a well know issue with Triple7. Maybe ive been doing this for well over 20 years and seen it happen countless times to many others that are far from novice level too.

I can put literally nothing on a BH209 plug and shoot as many shots as i want without doing a thing. Try that with Triple7 and you got ball buster when its time to remove the plug. :rolleyes:

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
The new pricing is stupid high. I would rather use Swiss than pay what they want now. I got plenty of BH209 and some Swiss to get me by for a few years.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Well it happens to literally 1000s of shooters each year and its a well know issue with Triple7. Maybe ive been doing this for well over 20 years and seen it happen countless times to many others that are far from novice level too.

I can put literally nothing on a BH209 plug and shoot as many shots as i want without doing a thing. Try that with Triple7 and you got ball buster when its time to remove the plug. :rolleyes:

Yep, user error hasn’t gotten several folks over the years. BH209 hasn’t gotten me that many extra shots without cleaning for me to worry with using it. Even if it did, that would be a moot point for me. I start the season with a clean barrel regardless of the powder. Two shots at a time, at the max, is all I’ve ever gotten on a deer.

My centerfires don’t have a removable breech plug, either.
And that is important because????

Question is: should you ever clean your centerfire rifle with water? Because BH 209 is basically a weak smokeless powder. And my centerfire may not have a removable breech plug but when you remove the bolt you can run a cleaning rod completely thru it just like a muzzleloader.

777 is water soluble. BH is not

Soapy water will remove an oil based product. Hey they use Dawn dishwashing liquid on oiled up birds. But soapy water is not the ideal cleaning agent for BH