Best ultralight tarp/bivy combo?

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed an ad in the classifieds a couple days ago the got me thinking. Someone was selling a MLD Grace tarp and Solo bivy with a combined weight of about a pound. I’m thinking I’d like to have something like this to keep in my pack on long hikes away from base camp for those times you finally find elk right at dark, but you’re 6 miles from camp. It would be nice to just throw up this shelter and stay on the herd, rather than have to go back to camp. This happened to us last season and it was a tough decision to leave but we weren’t equipped to stay overnight. So my question is, what are some suggestions for ultralight tarp/bivy combo to keep in the bottom of the pack?

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking the same for my shelter. Literally just posted this question in elk forum a few mins ago. Deleting and and following here. Cheers!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have an MLD patrol tarp that weighs 13oz with thick guy lines and stuff sack and a bivy that weighs 7 oz. It's a two person tarp. There's a million ways to skin this cat depending on budget. Thinking about getting a 2 person Serenity bug shelter from MLD for it that will make it basically into a tent, and still only be a pound and a half. Clear nights I can just run the inner, weather coming in I can put up the tarp
053f1b93b2c0829af96cfafb7b000ffd.jpg
f339b605dc6e1b2063f27df73a113599.jpg
b81ea672deb4a130bd88f494bb1e0ee6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
Personally, I rock a hilleberg Tarp 10. It’s plenty big for two guys. If you were to use a synthetic bag/quilt you can totally forego the bivy altogether. Otherwise TI goat makes a couple nice light bivys. I used to run one of those along with a down quilt. But currently am making the switch to the synthetic setup.

You could shave a lot of oz. by going with one of z packs flat tarps. The one I’m thinking of is 8.5x10 and weighs in at like 6 oz. it’s stupid light.

I prefer the hilleberg because it comes with guy lines already setup on it, AND it’s plenty big enough to use with another guy bivying on the mountain, or as an awning for your tent door on a really wet day. The possibilities are endless!

b15a9f877be6a536a9ddab9d63bf2552.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ridgefire

WKR
I use the Kifaru Paratarp with a TI Goat Raven Omni ivy and it is a pretty light setup that hardly takes up any room in the pack.

If you don’t mind some condensation, big sky Wisp is another 1lb ish option. Same as the older Kuiu 1p tent. The Wisp is also made in a Cuben version that is way too expensive for me but only like 10oz or something crazy for a fully enclosed shelter. I now have a Chinese knock-off version I’m testing in the same design.

Jimss

WKR
I use the fly off my Hilliberg Nallo 4 season tent plus painters plastic floor (buy at home depot for around $2.00). I've been snowed on pretty hard with this combo with no need for a bivy bag. It weighs around 2 lbs.

OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Well I ended up buying the MLD tarp and bivy that were for sale in the classifieds. This will be my first ever tarp or bivy set up but I’ll try to set it up and do a little review. But I think for what I’m wanting it for it will be perfect.