Best timing for ANY elk?

DanZ

FNG
Some friends and I are planning our first archery elk hunt this year in Colorado. Right now, we are pretty flexible on dates. We’ll be hunting an OTC unit in a wilderness area. And should be able to get in a 7 day hunt. I have hunted Co during rifle season, and one other in our group is an experienced rifle season elk hunter -- the other two are experienced backpackers and Eastern bowhunters, but have never combined the two.

I think we all have realistic expectations for this trip realizing that it will be a tall order for any of us to close the deal on an elk – but we are all excited to try and learn a lot from the experience.
All that being said, there is really zero pressure that any of us are putting on ourselves to harvest a bull – I can honestly say that ALL of us would be ecstatic if ONE of us was able to put a cow on the ground. Any elk will do. With that in mind, how do odds shift in the “first week of season” vs rut debate?

There is much that is written about un-pressured elk vs being able to call in bulls, but if any elk will do, would you give stronger preference to the first week? Or does being able to call in small bulls give you the most opportunities for filling your first tag?

I have experience with a diaphragm call from turkey calling, and I have practiced bugling quite a bit, so I feel confident in my ability to make a passable bugle and cow call – obviously not an expert, but probably better than your average newbie from Ohio…

I am leaning toward first week since we will be in an OTC unit, but maybe I am wrong. Would love to hear people’s thoughts about the best time and way to hunt “cows and bulls” during archery season.

Thanks for any insight you guys might have.

elkguide

WKR
I always try to include September 19th through the 23rd in any early hunt that I plan. Those days always seem to have the most excitable bulls.

cnelk

WKR
What are the group's calling abilities?
Even tho you can call, the others should be able to also, or you gonna get tired of doing all the calling

OTC elk have heard it all.

OP
DanZ

DanZ

FNG
What are the group's calling abilities?
Even tho you can call, the others should be able to also, or you gonna get tired of doing all the calling

OTC elk have heard it all.
Probably not the best but some of us are actively working at improving our calling between now and September. I fully get that idea that OTC bulls have heard it all -- and that is one of the reasons I feel like sneaking close to a bull or cow in the first days of season may be better odds than beginner callers calling in pressured bulls.

How likely is it to call in a bull in the first weeks? My thinking is that in an OTC unit I probably wont try to locate elk with a bugle in the first weeks, but only call back if I hear elk first -- am I off in thinking that?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If any elk will do, raghorns are pretty dang easy to call in with cow calls. They'll come in silent most every time, but they'll come. How patient are you guys? You can also sit on water or wallows that first week and that is very effective if you're patient.

cnelk

WKR
Many guys want or need to hear bugles in order to hunt.
If that’s your style, later is better as vocal could be more prominent.

Early season means unpressured elk, sparse bugling, but cow chirps can bring in any elk.

There’s plenty of squeeze calls that even kids can call in elk. But being they are easy to use, don’t mean you should over use them.

Whatever unit you are looking at, check out how many ML elk and deer tags they give out. It could get real busy that week. Or not.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And as with most things in life.......it also depends. Several years ago a buddy and I went up opening weekend in August and we camped right off the main road next to a creek. At 0430 I woke to a loud bugle coming from the other side of the creek.......like getting water 30 yards away loud. I thought it was my buddy messing with me and I unzipped my tent to look out. When I did, I saw a light come on in his tent.

We eventually got going before first light and chased that bull's bugles up the draw for over a mile before finally locating him. It was a very rambunctious raghorn with 3 cows. We kind of laughed at his tenacity........because he may have even bred with one or all 3 of those cows in their early cycle, but would get pummeled out of the equation when the big boys showed up later to take the cows.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
In our first season we didn't know much about calling and there was a great deal of silence when our calls went unanswered. Of course, I know now that it is less likely you'll find vocal bulls before mid september. You will need to learn to be patient and setup silently and wait for elk to come in, or ambush them if you can spot them visually.