Best tent for Alaska sheep hunt

Whatever tent you can fit me in with you since you know where to find those rams 😘

Edit to add: my husband approves. He wants to know where those rams live also

Last edited:
OP
Sitkajerds
I love hilleberg’s material on their tents. Top tier! I will be getting one. I was super impressed with the tarp saved me from having a rough night.

I just bought a Niak and it seems perfect for one hunter, hunter and dog, or a couple. If you think you need Red Series, the Allak was my next choice.

ColeyG

WKR
The Hille Anjan 2 GT has been my sheep tent of choice for two person hunts for a handful of years now. Surprisingly durable for a yellow label tent. Much like any Hille, jut make sure you pitch into or with the wind, not perpendicular to it.

I picked up a Hille Enan for solo use last year and haven't had that many nights in it, but have been impressed so far. Very roomy for a solo tent with just enough space in the vesti for a pack and boots.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running the Niak floorless? If so, do you know what it weighs?

Hilleberg tents are awesome. Once you use an external pole tent you'll never use anything else. Been using a Nallo 3 for years.

Akto and Enan are nice but aren't tall enough to sit up in comfortably.

TXCO

WKR
After using an enan, I wouldnt recommend. I learned a tent needs to have a high/top vent. I bought and returned a niak for the same reason though I did really like the set up. Ground venting just leaves too much condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaitum 3 for partner hunts if your area allows you to run such a big tent (if the ground permits)

Niak for a solo, glad I ditched my akto just for a hair more space to stretch out and sit up.

Kuiu Mountain Star 2P, with aluminum poles. We spent this particular night packing my buddies elk out. Dust the snow off the tent, she stood right back up. Nothing damaged. I have around 60 nights logged in it, absolutely love it.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 109

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A couple of tent photos/examples from this year's sheep hunt.

A Niak laid-over in 70mph winds. Despite trying to find the most sheltered location possible, winds beat this tent up and poles ended up snapping. Yes, it is an "extreme" example, and I am not saying anything bad about the tent — it just proves the point that ANYTHING can happen in Alaska and you shouldn't skimp on shelter.

niak-wind.jpg

We got back out in the field with an Allak. More rain, high winds, and snow.

allak-snow.jpg

Moral of the story... I wouldn't try to shave every ounce out of your sheep pack by skimping on shelter.

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
Man that’s a crazy pic! I’ve had good luck with the stone glacier skyscraper 2, and also have hilleberg soulo, Allak and nallo 2 gt. The hillebergs are a little heavier, but pretty bombproof. Thinking of getting an anjan 2 gt for some of the earlier hunts.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Mark, that’s funny that you and I had the exact same weather when I was up in Alaska last week. Must have been hunting near each other.

My niak survived our 70-80 MPH gusts with sustained winds over 40mph one night, but not without some major flexure. Also survived about 6” of snow one night, and hard sleet another night, but the elements certainly stressed the tent. There were times I was kicking myself for not packing a 4-season tent. It was September In Alaska after all. I probably got lucky with mine holding up, but it did and I was very grateful for it.