Best scope around $450??

craigrh13

FNG
I’m in need of a scope for my B14 in 308. would like something in the 3-15/4-16 area for dual purpose targets and hunting. I don’t need anything fancy and that’s why I’m trying to stick to a strict budget. It will be used for more targets/varmits than say deer or elk hunting. Any ideas for something in this range??

Last edited:

f16jack

WKR
This Leupold fits your bill just fine.
https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-3-5-10x40-cds-zl-duplex#/product.features.

You don't need more than 10x mag. The MOA adjustments with zero lock are great. I've used Leupolds like this for sheep, goats, tahr, elk, plains game... you get the idea. They have never failed me worldwide.
Stay with a smaller lightweight scope. 40 to 44 on the Objective. I've hunted with larger and especially when mountain hunting the larger scopes are heavy and cumbersome.
I concur that the 4.5x14 would be a great scope also. Model #180619. it is here:
www.leupold.com

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Duplex

The VX®-3HD 4.5-14x40mm delivers legendary performance and elite optical clarity in an incredibly tough, lightweight package. Its extremely popular magnification range is perfect for timber and western mountain hunting.
www.leupold.com
www.leupold.com

It's $100 more, but I find that the higher magnification helps when shooting at the range when tuning in your rifle and handloads.

When hunting if you make the mistake of shooting with 14x selected the first shot works great, but it is almost impossible to reacquire the target for follow-up shots or tracking.

I've never used the side windage adjustments on any hunts. I have a correction table posted in my scope cap, and the side adjustments for me are in inches. A 10 knot crosswind at 400 yards is a 7" of correction. I can correct this without dialing.

I cannot correct 140" of elevation for a 800 yard shot. No idea how high to hold the crosshairs. I can dial 16.25 MOA, though, and put the crosshairs on the target. Very useful.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
This Leupold fits your bill just fine.
https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-3-5-10x40-cds-zl-duplex#/product.features.

You don't need more than 10x mag. The MOA adjustments with zero lock are great. I've used Leupolds like this for sheep, goats, tahr, elk, plains game... you get the idea. They have never failed me worldwide.
Stay with a smaller lightweight scope. 40 to 44 on the Objective. I've hunted with larger and especially when mountain hunting the larger scopes are heavy and cumbersome.
I concur that the 4.5x14 would be a great scope also. Model #180619. it is here:
www.leupold.com

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Duplex

The VX®-3HD 4.5-14x40mm delivers legendary performance and elite optical clarity in an incredibly tough, lightweight package. Its extremely popular magnification range is perfect for timber and western mountain hunting.
www.leupold.com
www.leupold.com

It's $100 more, but I find that the higher magnification helps when shooting at the range when tuning in your rifle and handloads.

When hunting if you make the mistake of shooting with 14x selected the first shot works great, but it is almost impossible to reacquire the target for follow-up shots or tracking.

I've never used the side windage adjustments on any hunts. I have a correction table posted in my scope cap, and the side adjustments for me are in inches. A 10 knot crosswind at 400 yards is a 7" of correction. I can correct this without dialing.

I cannot correct 140" of elevation for a 800 yard shot. No idea how high to hold the crosshairs. I can dial 16.25 MOA, though, and put the crosshairs on the target. Very useful.
I currently have the 3.5-10 mounted on my 350 Legend. Great scope. I wasn’t sure if 10x would be enough for 500 yards target shooting.

f16jack

WKR
I currently have the 3.5-10 mounted on my 350 Legend. Great scope. I wasn’t sure if 10x would be enough for 500 yards target shooting.
go with a x14 or x15 scope. with 10x mag at 500 the target is pretty small.

f16jack

WKR
go with a x14 or x15 scope. with 10x mag at 500 the target is pretty small.
I'm also a fan of low profile turrets for a hunting scope. At the range the turret profile doesn't matter, but when pulling a rifle out of a scabbard the tall turrets get in the way.

eric1115

WKR
3-9 good enough for 500 yards target shooting? I should have clarified that. My bad.
3-9 is more than plenty for 500 yard target shooting. I like to be around 8x at 500 on an 8" plate if it's shot up and hard to see, 6x for something like a 12" plate or something with fairly fresh paint so it's easier to see. You could easily shoot out to 800+ (1k would be very doable) with that scope, no problem.

eric1115

WKR
More to your point, a fixed 6x SWFA would be my pick for that use case. In fact, I did just that with my own backup/trainer/loaner .308. I shoot that rifle to 600-800 some, though it gets more use practicing field/positional shooting at 300-500. Absolute dead reliability, very cost effective, and does everything I need a scope to do on that rifle.

3-9 SWFA would be first choice if you see shooting past 500 often.

Only downside to these SWFA scopes is they are on backorder with no in-stock date as of right now. Could be weeks or months, we just don't know.
If you need something with a more definite delivery date, Euro Optic is running some smoking good deals on some Trijicon scopes that have demonstrated reliability far better than you'll get with any of the Vortex, Leupold, Athlon, etc offerings. This Credo 2.5-10 is well over 50% off. The 56mm objective is bigger than I'd choose, but beggars can't be choosers and a nearly $1200 scope for under $550 is a fantastic value.

bdan68

WKR
Look at Maven CRS.1 3-12x42. Good glass, and lightweight like Leupolds.

Price is $450.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
More to your point, a fixed 6x SWFA would be my pick for that use case. In fact, I did just that with my own backup/trainer/loaner .308. I shoot that rifle to 600-800 some, though it gets more use practicing field/positional shooting at 300-500. Absolute dead reliability, very cost effective, and does everything I need a scope to do on that rifle.

Only downside to these SWFA scopes is they are on backorder with no in-stock date as of right now. Could be weeks or months, we just don't know.
If you need something with a more definite delivery date, Euro Optic is running some smoking good deals on some Trijicon scopes that have demonstrated reliability far better than you'll get with any of the Vortex, Leupold, Athlon, etc offerings. This Credo 2.5-10 is well over 50% off. The 56mm objective is bigger than I'd choose, but beggars can't be choosers and a nearly $1200 scope for under $550 is a fantastic value.

That’s an unbelievably good deal.

Dgregory

FNG

I bought the Leupold vx-3hd in 4-14x50 and ended up selling it after I bought a couple of Trijicon scopes from ScopeList (euro optic sister site). The Trijicon were just way nicer and the glass gathered light better. I bought the 4-16x50 credo as well as the 2.5-10x56 AccuPoint. Both are excellent and have great glass. Huge steal at the current pricing online. Optics Planet also has some of the Trijicon on sale. Buy with confidence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 2nd the Trijicon scopes put an Accupoint TR26 on my Springfield Waypoint 308. Great glass, light gathering, light weight and the fiber optic is a great feature.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
So here is what I did. I bought the Burris and decided to return it. Nothing against the scope. I’m just gonna go a different route. I bought the credo 2.5-10x56 on sale from Euro. I’ll throw that on my main hunting rifle and sell the current Leupold VX3HD that is on it

Then for this Bergara 308 I picked up the -SWFA 12x42 on sale right now for $209. Figure I’ll give that a try. I’ve always wanted to own both of these scopes. Especially a Trijicon as the ACOG we used in the Marines was absolutely great.