Best midsize Pickup?

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Ford Is releasing 2.7 in the Ranger in 2024. I read on their website It would likely be some time in the summer.
Ya I also just looked it up. I would go ranger hands down and not even look at the 4th gen taco imo. Had a pro 3rd gen and it was nice, not nearly as nice as my 2nd gen’s and they ain’t making them any more.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
36k on my ‘22 Ranger FX4 . So far zero major issues and it has absolutely out performed my ‘18 TRDPRO Tacoma.

My only complaint is this thing has had a ton of petty little issues that have needed it back at the dealer to get resolved. Carpet not lining up with the trim, trim and plastics are cheap, thin and absolutely take on any scratch’s. Driver seat is needing new bracket since this one is loose and shifts when I turn hard. Window weather stripping is already loose and coming undone, doesn’t allow window to fully roll up unless you hold it in place.

Love the truck and it’s been great so far but it just seems it was cheaply slapped together as far as the interior and finishing components. All of which has or is being resolved via warranty but it’s frustrating.

This is one area I will contest was much better with Toyota is the components and final build quality. I had zero issues with any part, piece or component on my Tacomas. Granted my ‘18 Tacoma did actually give me more mechanical issues than what this Ford has so far.

As long as this truck gives me little to no major issues in the next 2-3 years I’ll probably just do another Ford Ranger. This little Ecoboost is nuts how much get up it has behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else have a 5th Gen Ranger and have had good luck with them?

Anyone else had any similar issues are for petty minor stuff like mine?

tony

WKR
2021 Ranger with the tremor package 42,000

One big issue I had to involve Ford on. And its probably the only truck to do it. Had a broken wire in the steering column. Threw codes, dash board would look like a slot machine. Got to where the truck would not start. Finally had to have it towed in. Dealer got it fixed that day. Dealer had it numerous tomes and I was ready to lemon law with it.

Runs like a top now after another quick fix. There is a sensor that's part of the EGR system. Apparently it plugs up and causes the truck to run like shit. Dealer fix for free.

Known issue is the transmission. I just feel like a 10 speed automatic is too much. It will hunt for gars at low speed.
Truck is crazy fast, and has great power. Passing people is great, no lag.
I get 22-25 mpg depending on fuel blends. Obviously summer miles are better.

ranger 5g.com is a great website to check out

Surprised by the lack of ZR2 responses, hands down the best currently available midsize IMO. 2024 Ranger Raptor will contend it for sure.

My current is a 2017 Colorado ZR2 Extended Cab, Long Bed, 2.8L Duramax.

82k miles with no issues, the dealer I bought it from 6 years ago dialed me up last week and offered me more than I bought it for initially.

Crazy resale value in those Babymax ZR2's.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Surprised by the lack of ZR2 responses, hands down the best currently available midsize IMO. 2024 Ranger Raptor will contend it for sure.

82k miles with no issues, the dealer I bought it from 6 years ago dialed me up last week and offered me more than I bought it for initially.

I’m a few of the new Colorado/Canyon groups. I like to stay on the pulse of a few of the brands models that I may consider on a few years such as Fords new Ranger, Chevys new Colorado and the up and coming non hybrid Tacoma.

So far unfortunately lots of chatter from polar opposites for the Colorado/canyon guys for the new Gen. Either guys have had awesome experiences with zero issues even after creeping in the the 10-15k mileage. Others have had absolute hell with em.

Honestly I still think the best out of the box midsize is the ZR2 but I’ll definitely let them get a few years behind them to resolve issues that pop up over time. Same goes for all the brands really. Even Toyota had a lack luster track record on the 2016 release of the Tacoma. Most kinks were worked out by end of 2017.

As for the last Gen. oh man my buddies bison ZR2 baby duramax has been an absolute beast of a midsize. He has had phenomenal success with it. Gives me confidence once GM gets the kinks out it will be a killer of a truck, specially for over landing and back country usage.

I still think a lot of guys will make the mistake of wanting to go with the Ranger Raptor. Unfortunately what it is designed to do, it sacrifices in what most guys needing a midsize to do. Its payload, towing, etc.. is taxed. However for most saavy guys who actually use their midsizes as work horses or some sort of utilitarian/light over landing will be practical to lean more towards something like a ZR2, XLT or Lariat Ranger or TRD-OR Tacoma.

tony

WKR

Yeah, forgot to say the ZR2 is top contender to replace the ranger. Ford dropped the tremor package on the new year. Honestly is all 99% of people need. So that alone is way I'll look at Chevy
ZR2 is less than the raptor, and you can actually find and buy one. I'm sure Ford will dick this up like they did and still do with the bronco.

I am real interested in the new Tacoma. Reviews I've read and watched are average. MPG still suck apparently.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, forgot to say the ZR2 is top contender to replace the ranger. Ford dropped the tremor package on the new year. Honestly is all 99% of people need. So that alone is way I'll look at Chevy
ZR2 is less than the raptor, and you can actually find and buy one. I'm sure Ford will dick this up like they did and still do with the bronco.

I am real interested in the new Tacoma. Reviews I've read and watched are average. MPG still suck apparently.

Yeah as long as GM can work the kinks out of the quality and reliability of the new Gen Colorado’s/Canyons it will definitely be top of my list for my next pick up. The ZR2 is just about perfectly built and equipped for just about anyone’s needs. No need to lift, or any major suspension change up’s.

I would imagine Ford will eventually bring the tremor trim back to the table once the first years production chaos subsides.

Unfortunately my only hang up with the Tacoma is I wish the turbo 4 cylinder base without the hybrid was putting out some better numbers. I understand Toyota is all about hybrids but I’m not dealing with the battery issues once they need replaced or worked on.

lak2004

WKR
Those that have kids, poke holes in my thought process.

I have always been a little worried about a midsize and car seats but have always kind of thought like this. This will be a pickup that I will most likely drive for 20 years, if I buy new, a little less if I buy used. So do you deal with a full size for 20 years because you dont want to deal with a rear facing car seat for 2?
Rear facing vs. front facing doesn't matter. Car seats are huge nowadays. I have an f150 and put my kid car seats in a Tacoma, couldn't do it daily, only in a pinch.

the1adman

FNG
Have a 2022 Tacoma right at 20K miles and not a single issue. This is my first non big 3 truck ever. So far so good.

Pap89

FNG
I was born and raised Chevy. I hate to say it, but all the new Chevys have been garbage for me and multiple people in my family - mainly transmission issues on the Silverados/Sierras. Switched to a Tundra and never looking back.

Sunkmanitou

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 2019 Tundra 1794 edition (that comes with all the options). Drives like a Cadillac, very roomy in the crew cab.
However it is terrible for the payload (because of all the bells and whistles for comfort) and as we all know terrible gas mileage. I wish Toyota comes up with a diesel version.

Pap89

FNG
I own a 2019 Tundra 1794 edition (that comes with all the options). Drives like a Cadillac, very roomy in the crew cab.
However it is terrible for the payload (because of all the bells and whistles for comfort) and as we all know terrible gas mileage. I wish Toyota comes up with a diesel version.
Now that would be a nice truck!

CorbLand

WKR
At one point, Toyota toyed with the idea of a diesel Tacoma (an American version of the HiLux) but with all the diesel regulations, I think you are going to be hard pressed to see anyone really jump into that market feet first.

lak2004

WKR
At one point, Toyota toyed with the idea of a diesel Tacoma (an American version of the HiLux) but with all the diesel regulations, I think you are going to be hard pressed to see anyone really jump into that market feet first.
Diesel is nice for some things but they really should just work towards a more reliable/fuel efficient v6 turbo motor, seems like they are on that path. Especially in a 1/2 ton package. If they ever enter the 3/4 or 1 ton realm then it would make sense. But diesel is just too damn expensive to maintain if you're not towing 10k+