Best Gear Grab of 2017!

With 2018 just hours away I wanted to see what piece of gear you all picked up in 2017 that changed your life? If you have to be a negative Nancy you can toss out what piece of gear you completely regret buying if that's more top of mind for ya.

To kick it off, my submission for the best gear pickup for 2017 was a LiteOutdoors Ti stove. This stove was CRUCIAL on my 3rd season backpacking Elk hunt. The weather went from 60's to 8" of snow over night and we hit a rain/sleet storm that just soaked us to the bone. The stove dried our gear and gave us something to fiddle with while trying to stay dry in the Cimarron.

Let's hear it!

Firehawk

WKR
My 2017 EXO 3500 pack was instrumental in hauling my 2017 Archery buck from down in the "hole". I sold my 2014 to someone here and found that the newer lid design made all the difference for me. Black Gold Ascent 3 pin archery sight was a great upgrade for me. Also, my fascination with good socks led me to the GORE socks that I picked up at Black Ovis. AWESOME!!!

Lastly, I picked up a Cabelas Krotos 65mm spotter that I am really impressed with. My buddy bought my Vortex Viper and I picked this up to replace it. Actually bought this scope and a Vortex Razor Gen 1 and this little Cabelas was sharper to my eye. Same scope as the Athlon Ares that I have seen Doug at Camera Land talk about recently.

FH

kicker338

WKR
2 things 1 my EZV sight very satisfied with it. 2 Cabalas arrows, had been using gold tips, way too much breakage Cabalas shoot just as well for me hold up better for me and cheaper too.

DWinVA

WKR
My top 3 gear pickups for 2017 are:

1. Tyto knife
2. Kifaru Lost Park Parka
3. Kifaru Woobie

The tyto has taken care of 8 VA Whitetail this season. The Kifaru parka & woobie have been awesome during the arctic blast we
are currently experiencing here in VA.

God Bless.

1) Maven C1 up from vortex diamondback
2) first Lite boundary stormtight pants - up from nothing in previous years
3) AGC bino harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Merino neck gaiter - Incredibly versatile. I've used it this year to keep the sun off me, to conceal my face, to keep skeeters off my face, and to keep my neck warm in the cold. I haven't found a situation yet to not wear one. Not my first year wearing one, but I used it more and appreciated it more this year than ever before.

Dameon

WKR
First Lite Tundra balaclava. It kept me out longer on stand in freezing temps with wind and snow for hours longer that I thought I could muster. It is a great piece of kit for hunting the late season.

CoSwede

FNG
1) Outdoorsman's stud and adapter to mount my binos to my tripod
2) OnxMap subscription which allowed me to quickly analyze some new ground when our old ground went dry.
3) Garmin Rino radios which allowed me to keep track of my 72 y/o father who still loves getting out in the elk woods! Peace of mind - priceless...

herd90

Lil-Rokslider
New Tribe Kestrel Tree Saddle with Muddy Pro Climbing Sticks.
Very mobile system for Eastern style deer hunting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
Merino neck gaiter - Incredibly versatile. I've used it this year to keep the sun off me, to conceal my face, to keep skeeters off my face, and to keep my neck warm in the cold. I haven't found a situation yet to not wear one. Not my first year wearing one, but I used it more and appreciated it more this year than ever before.

+1 using merino Buff. Works as beanie, balaclava, face mask, etc. I also use a different version when riding motorcycle; it really cuts the wind.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
+2 on the merino gaiter. I used mine from early season well into late October. I also picked up a used exomountain 2000 used off here and it is an amazing pack going to purchase a 3500 or 5500 here in 2018 prior to my September elk hunt in Colorado. Last thing was some crispi boots and all I can say is what a difference from my danner pronghorns

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the tyto knife. That thing is awesome and way easier to clean than the folding knives. I still carry a sturdier knife but never needed it for butchering.

1) Kifaru Woodsman hands down. Best long hike whitetail pack I’ve used.

2) OnX maps for my phone. REALLY changed how I hunt and where I was comfortable going

3) SO Redcliff. It is amazing walking straight into your shelter.

I never realized how loving my wife is until I thought about how much crap I bought without her even making a peep about it... here are the major purchases that I don’t see going without:

Exo 3500 pack (use it for all of my hunting)
Obsession m7z
Black gold 3 pin housing on the Verdict base
Bushnell scout dx1000 rangefinder (it was a gift, but that thing is awesome)

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Without a doubt, the Sitka lightweight core hoody. It's expensive for what it is but in one piece I have a baselayer top and full concealment of my head, neck, arms and face from the sun and game. Even with the hood up it's cooler than a merino SS top. It also does not stink. For warmer weather hunts and/or when hiking hard (AZ Unit 23 anyone?) it was indispensable.

big44a4

WKR
Merino wool!

Used briefs and long sleeve for September. Couldn’t be happier about the scent control and making one of each last 4+ days without a shower. Could have made them last longer but switched in the middle of the hunt.

rbljack

WKR
For me, the 2017 favorite "grab" was my AGC harness. I used it on spring turkey hunt to "try it out". It got the green light on that trip, and then used it on my scout trips, and finally for my hunt this past year. Also worked well while riding an ATV, AND while on horseback. It really excelled on horseback for me. I didn't like my previous set up at all because the binos would bounce a lot when on horseback over rough terrain.

Although I didn't pick it up in 2017, I agree with others who like the neck gaiter and balaclava from first lite. Its light, easy to put on and off, and has multiple ways to wear it. Easy to stick in a pocket when not wore, and not bulky.

My other favorite item is the boots I wear. My Lowa Tibets have been MONEY for me. Boots are a personal thing, and what works for me may not work for others. Finding boots that fit me well has been tough. But when I got the Lowas in a wide, they fit me well from day one!

KUIU gaiters. Sure were nice in the am in the wet grass and during creek crossings.

My brother/hunting partner finally picked up some trekking poles (He made fun of mine) He had a much better hunt...lol.

Marsupial gear bino harness. Still not sure about the magnet closure, but kept all my gear tighter to the body and Much better than my s4 lockdown.

Gumbo

WKR
Kifaru 24-inch frame was great for packing animals, and was a better height than the 26 for crawling and going through thick stuff.