Best Fanny

CB4

WKR
Whats everyone's go to fanny pack? Looking to carry a small pistol, knife, wallet, keys, phone etc.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using a Mystery Ranch Forager for hiking around town. It's small (and light), but just big enough for a few odds and ends including a windhsirt and a j frame revolver. Ride comfortably in the small of my back and easy to forget it's even there.

If you need larger (ie want the ability to haul a little water in addition to the above) they make a Hip Monkey which is 7 liters. I ended up ordering one of those recently, but haven't received it yet.

A little beta on the Forager

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/mystery-ranch/forager-hip-pack/#review42068

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Hyperlight Mountain Gear Versa. Much more expensive than the Mystery Ranch Forager, but it is made out of dyneema. My favorite feature is the pass through pocket on the back of the bag that allows you to run your backpack's hip belt or chest strap through if you want to use them in conjunction. Running the chest strap through the back turns the fanny pack into a chest pack which I've found useful while backpacking.

Reactions: CB4

wesfromky

WKR
Might check out this if more urban. For the woods, I really like my Hill People Gear Kit bag for carry.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
I would like to keep the Kifaru collection growing but the Rogan just looks massive for its purpose. I get it for hunting use but not EDC. I like the clean look of Marsupial but wish it had the separate pocket for a pistol like Hill People Gear. HPG is just expensive like Kifaru. The Versa noted above looks nice but like the Marsuipal doesnt have the dedicated pistol pocket. Thats a big selling factor for me. HPG might just get an order here soon.

P Carter

WKR

Cheap and 1.6 ounces. I use this as my "always have when outside" container. I can quickly transfer it between backpacks, bring it with me if I drop my pack for a stalk, etc. A lighter, small headlamp, water filter, leukotape, compass, space blanket, small multitool, some food, inreach mini. You know the drill.

forestry

FNG
Mountainsmith Tour when I need to carry more, Mountainsmith Vibe when I need to carry less. Never had any issues with a Mountainsmith product.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a Hill People Gear snubby belt pack once but returned it, only because it was too tight of a fit for a G19. Otherwise it was pretty darn nice. That said, I just pulled up their page to get the name right and it appears they now make a Belt Pack Medium…so I may re-order.

I have also used a Spiritus Systems Fanny Sack while hunting and hiking for the above items minus a pistol. I lean heavily towards the designs with a dedicated pistol pocket for that purpose.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Kifaru Rogan for the items you mentioned. Its very stiff and rigid which is my least favorite part. When I need larger (for hunting with thermacell etc) I run a Mystery Ranch Full Moon and I love that thing.

hfk

FNG
I’m on the same search. I think I’m going to order a hpg snubby. Does anyone know how often they typically restock some common colors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk