Best Boots for least ground scent?

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I generally use rubber boots with a felt liner; different ratings for the various conditions. These are only for hunting, washed in hunter's soap, stored in scent-free bins...all the precautions taken that I know how to take. (This is my 40th archery season; primarily WI/MN.)

But I consistently have deer clearly identify where I have walked on the leaves, even a couple hours later. Anyone have an insulated cold-weather boot that they feel does a better job - with soles that leave less scent?

hiker270

WKR
Nothing really works, you just can't fool their nose. I know sometimes one will just walk over your trail or come from your downwind side and have no reaction at all. But it's an anomaly, not something that happen very often.

JjamesIII

WKR
Doesn’t matter. Sent is generated from your entire body. Particulates from skin, head, sweat, ect. I used to only wear knee high rubber boots for ground scent. While training a very young pup wearing my “scent proof” clothes she routinely would follow my trail despite all reasonable efforts to avoid that. I’d have her in a crate and she’d be put on the ground and proceed to follow all of my zig-zag trails back to the truck. A deer will know you went through an area.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I had this same dilemma once when I was walking through a swamp that had a very particular scent to the water and mud. Turns out that deer would track me every time I walked through that swamp. So they even knew that the scent in the swamp wasn't supposed to be anywhere else besides there which in turn made them more on edge like why the hell do I smell this 40yds away. I avoided the swamp from there on out. But yea even stuff like that I think triggers so be on edge.

Yoder

WKR
One time I had on Scent Loc, rubber boots, sprayed everything down, got dressed outside. I walked out back and sat behind my house. My cat walked right up to my tree and sat there looking at me. I wear leather boots now. Much better support for my messed up feet.

WoodBow

WKR
Buy a 16 oz bottle of fox pee from amazon. Transfer it into a small travel spray bottle from walmart. Spray your boots with it. This is what I do and it works well for me. I have worn rubber and leather boots. Smell dissipates fairly quickly and you won't smell it on your boots at home.

Buy a 16 oz bottle of fox pee from amazon. Transfer it into a small travel spray bottle from walmart. Spray your boots with it. This is what I do and it works well for me. I have worn rubber and leather boots. Smell dissipates fairly quickly and you won't smell it on your boots at home.

Having a hard time understanding how mixing fox pee with your human scent would be helpful? Do deer feel comfortable because hell, a fox was already through here too pissing all along the way?

One time I had on Scent Loc, rubber boots, sprayed everything down, got dressed outside. I walked out back and sat behind my house. My cat walked right up to my tree and sat there looking at me. I wear leather boots now. Much better support for my messed up feet.
Your cat was just being an a--hole!

You and all things associated with you are not normal "background noise" to the deer. That is what why you get busted.

You'd less likely to be busted if you were normal "background noise".

JjamesIII

WKR
Cover scents are also a joke. Try to use a “cover” scent to avoid a drug dog from finding stuff and you’ll see that it’s totally ineffective.

dtrkyman

WKR
Whatever boots are stored in a room with an Ozone machine running constantly, only thing I have had luck with!

Not always possible, however the best spots are the ones you can enter and exit without alerting deer! I go to great lengths for access, however sometimes it is really as simple as having someone drop you off and pick you up with a vehicle. Not possible while solo but works like a charm when possible!

it's probably snake oil, but i have had pretty good results with EverCalm and putting that on my soles before i leave the vehicle.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Having a hard time understanding how mixing fox pee with your human scent would be helpful? Do deer feel comfortable because hell, a fox was already through here too pissing all along the way?

I always felt the same way about the fox pee cover scents. But, I started getting trail cam pics of a grey fox and deer within about 10 feet of each other. I’ve gotten several of these pics and they act like they don’t care that the other is there. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I would’ve never believed it.

I have alot of raccoons on my place, so I like to use coon pee. Seems to work well, but nothing is perfect.

Honyock

WKR
Get some Dead Down Wind Field Spray and hose yourself down. I hunted with a bear guide in Arizona (who was also a chemist) and he literally hosed us down with it before we sat on bait. He swears by it and based upon his success rate, it's hard to argue that it doesn't work. I've used it ever since and have watched several deer walk across my tracks and not care. Fox pee also works but it gets a little bit rank in the cab of your truck with the heater blowing on your boots.

540fan

FNG
It’s called “Ground Disturbance Scent”. Not so much the scent the body gives off. That can dispute rather quickly but the ground disturbance can stay a long time. That’s why SAR dogs can do well in the woods tracking old tracks. They are not smelling the human scent but more the ground disturbance. Boots won’t matter one bit. I just use common sense and pretty much just go hunt and have fun.

I have more trouble with wild pigs winding me than deer and I’m hunting tight timber. sometimes it doesnt matter and the wind can be blowing right at the game trail and they show up anyway.

I use Skippy peanut butter for a scent cover when hunting pigs and it works.

A smooth sole boot will help and not tear up the ground as much as others. I use a leather sole moccasin during warm parts fo the deer season that runs from 9/1 to 1/1 where I’m at.