Best 50 Caliber Elk Hunting Bullet for Accuracy & Terminal Performance

jmclean

FNG
I've been going back and forth trying to decide which direction to go for bullet choice for an upcoming elk hunt. My hunt is in Nevada where the only real limiting factor is that you are required to use open sights. I am shooting a Knight Ultralight in 50 caliber. I have shot the 265 grain Lehigh Defense CF bullets with the MMP HPH-24 Sabots recommended by a very knowledgeable and helpful member. I've also tried the No Excuse lead bullets full bore in 460 grains that I've seen recommended by a number of people. I had good results with accuracy on both. I've been struggling for direction on which way to go. The lighter bullet has a flatter trajectory while the heavier bullet may have more energy but also has quite a bit of drop out near the 200 yard range with the lighter 80grains of T-7 they seem to like for accuracy. I recently picked up some Barnes 300grain MZ FB bullets. My initial limited shooting did not give much for accuracy but I really didn't get a chance to shoot them much yet. I sent a message to Knight Muzzleloaders yesterday to get their recommendation on bullet choice. Justin recommended the 300grain black tip bullet with an included sabot they offer hands down for accuracy and performance. I realize everyone has a different opinion about what is best but I would sure like to hear some input on what people feel is their best bullet and loads for elk hunting based on accuracy as well as terminal performance on elk size critters.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
All bullets you mentioned would work great on an elk. Especially if you’re getting good accuracy.

If you’re looking for other bullets to try we have had good luck with the 300 gr. XTP mag.

With open sights it might be easier to go with that lighter/flatter shooting bullet to reduce the guessing on holdover?

OP
J

jmclean

FNG
I definitely like the flatter trajectory of the lighter bullet but I also like the ease of loading the No Excuse bullets and the extra weight for penetration. Hoping to get opinions from others like yourself with more experience.
Thanks

these are pretty devastating on steel, should drop your Elk with no issues. Bonus, free jerky in the wound channel.Screenshot_20200916-075633_Chrome.jpg

OP
J

jmclean

FNG
5 miles Back ; I take it you like the heavier bullet but just don't suggest shooting beyond 100 yards? Is that because of the bullet trajectory or do you just not think it's good to shoot beyond 100 yards with any bullet?

I definitely like the flatter trajectory of the lighter bullet but I also like the ease of loading the No Excuse bullets and the extra weight for penetration. Hoping to get opinions from others like yourself with more experience.
Thanks

During ML season here in Idaho I have to use a lead conical... so I use a .503x460MTNex lead Bull Shop Bullet. Now this is just my opinion but I prefer them to the No Excuse. Bull Shop Dan uses a good quality lead for shooting in a ML, plus he will size it to your request.

His site is a little hard to navigate but this is the link

To find the actual bullets go to the right of the link page and choose 'more' then down to the caliber of the bullet you might want.

Here is an older bullet graphic of his more popular offerings.

bullshopBullets.jpg

But..... during the regular rifle season I very quickly switch bullets and powder loads to the Lehigh .452x265CF-HP bullet

265-Misc-Pics.jpg

This bullet and the way it operates is very effective even out to 200 yards.

Here is a ballistic sheet for the the 265

265-LD-452x265-CF.jpg

OP
J

jmclean

FNG
Thanks Sabotloader. I see on your Dinger Farms picture you are using T7-2f and your ballistic chart you are using the BH120. Do they both perform about the same or do you have a preference?

Besides the trajectory, do you feel the 265grain or the FB 460grain performs better on elk, especially out at the longer ranges?

Thanks Sabotloader. I see on your Dinger Farms picture you are using T7-2f and your ballistic chart you are using the BH120. Do they both perform about the same or do you have a preference?

I use a whole heck of a lot of T7 through the year but I do also shoot some BH. It is like Black Gold to me because of the cost of the powder or cost per shot.... They do actually perform somewhat the same. But, because BH is a slower burning powder than T7 there is a small drop in recoil. I would also add that BH burns more efficiently as the weight of the projectile goes up so you do get a slight increase in muzzle velocity with the heavier bullets. You will start to see this increase with a bullet weighing in the 260 grain area.

This Ballistic Chart was computed with 120 gr. (vol) of T7-2f, you can see the difference as compared with the BH chart.

452x265-PBR.jpg

Besides the trajectory, do you feel the 265grain or the FB 460grain performs better on elk, especially out at the longer ranges?

This chart was computed shooting the Bull Shop 460 gr. lead conical with 90 grains of T7. Using 90 grains is really creating more pressure - velocity and lead fouling than most lead conical shooters would like to use with a lead bullet. Most will tell you 70 - 80 grains is more than sufficient.

90460-MTNEx.jpg

Hope some of this information helps..

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
5 miles Back ; I take it you like the heavier bullet but just don't suggest shooting beyond 100 yards? Is that because of the bullet trajectory or do you just not think it's good to shoot beyond 100 yards with any bullet?

Iron sights and elk hunting......I don't see a need to shoot beyond 100 yards. In fact, in CO most shots would be below 50 during ML season. NV......????

OP
J

jmclean

FNG
Yeah I'm not sure what to expect in Nevada either. I'm really just trying to get my gun setup to provide the maximum potential for effective range that it is capable of. I know the iron sights are a big limiting factor. Trying to figure out what the gun is capable of and what would be the maximum effective range for the bullet / load combination. Also looking for the best bullet for elk whether it's at 25 yards or whatever maximum distance I can ethically shoot. Maybe 100 yards is that maximum distance.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
Used to use a 50cal patched round ball for my elk, but recently had to make the change to a 54cal due to new state hunting rules. Currently "hunting" right now but its more of a Walking season than hunting.

I personally don't want less than a 300 gr bullet for elk. a 290 gr Barnes might be the lightest I would consider using. If you can get the 300 gr Barnes type bullet to shoot, that gives you the best of both worlds. But I know a guy that shot an elk with the NE 460 at 276 yards.

If I had to choose between the 460 and the 265, I am going to choose the 460 every time. And as stated, with open sights, realistically you are looking at shots out to 100-150 yards. The NE will do just fine out to that distance.

he used 90 gr of Pyrodex P. He had to finish off the elk, but it put it down until he got up to it. Its further than I would shoot for sure. But big slow bullets kill.

But I was wrong, it was 287 yards: https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/300-and-400-groups.98455/

I generally have used the 350 gr Hornaday FPB (lead alloy) and 90-95 gr of BH 209. I was surprised at how little those bullets dropped to my max distance of 150 yards. I could shoot out to 120 yards without even considering holding higher than the aim point.

Last edited:
OP
J

jmclean

FNG
Sure can't argue with that for killing power.

What distance do you zero at with the 350 grain bullet?

How does that 350 gr FPB do on elk?

Last edited:
I zero in at 120 yards. But I don't shoot past 150. So a couple inches high at 50 yards, about an inch high at 100. I hold dead on out to 150. This is for elk, so a couple inches either way don't matter. At 62 my eyes aren't good enough to shoot with open sights further than that

FPBs work great on elk! My brother and I have taken 4 elk with them. Unfortunately, they stopped making them a couple years ago!! But I bought 15 boxes when the did, so I am good for a few years.

OP
J

jmclean

FNG
Good thinking to stock up before they were gone.

I'm right there with you on the eyes. Tough to focus on the sights and the target at the same time these days