Best 270 Winchester ammo for Elk

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider

Lots of good choices here https://ammoseek.com/ammo/270-winchester

I’ve seen probably 15 elk killed with .270’s, and I can honestly say the bullet didn’t make a difference in any scenario. Shoot them in the lungs and they run 50 yards and die. We’ve used partitions, Core Lokt’s, and Winchester power points (all 150gr). The only difference is that the partitions typically exit, whereas the other two get lodged in the hide on the far side.
That being said, I’d be looking for either Barnes TTSX 130’s, 140 or 150 Accubonds or partitions. But if you’re in a rush, get what you can find and put the bullet where it belongs and you’ll be just fine

OP
M

mnt1094

FNG
I’ve seen probably 15 elk killed with .270’s, and I can honestly say the bullet didn’t make a difference in any scenario. Shoot them in the lungs and they run 50 yards and die. We’ve used partitions, Core Lokt’s, and Winchester power points (all 150gr). The only difference is that the partitions typically exit, whereas the other two get lodged in the hide on the far side.
That being said, I’d be looking for either Barnes TTSX 130’s, 140 or 150 Accubonds or partitions. But if you’re in a rush, get what you can find and put the bullet where it belongs and you’ll be just fine
Bought the Nosler Trophy Grade 130grain partitions from Midway thank you everyone for the information!

Last edited:

LongCut

FNG
My buddy got his last year with terminal acsent. Good double lung shot, and the elk was down in 25 yards. I got mine with a 180grn accubond. Took three steps and died.

Hit them in the heart/lungs with almost any decent bullet and they shouldn't go far.

LightFoot

WKR
Any premium bullet 130 grains or above...

Barnes TTSX

Nosler Partition

Nosler Accubond

Hornady Interlock or ELD-X

Swift Scirocco II or A-Frame

Browning BXS or BXC

Federal Terminal Ascent

Norma Oryx

Just hit 'em in the "boiler room" at a reasonable range.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
M

mnt1094

FNG

Lots of good choices here https://ammoseek.com/ammo/270-winchester
Thank you

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
My dad has never shot anything in his .270 but 150grain Remington CorLokts for the last 60 years...he's never had a problem.-WW

PNWNICK

FNG
I shot my elk at just over 300 yards this year with Hornady GMX Superformance 130 gr. I uploaded a picture of both of them.

MOBowkill

FNG
I’ve shot 15+ elk with Hornady 140gr Interlocks out of my 270. Never lost a wounded one and have have great results. Longest shot was 350yds with the closest being 50 yds or so.

afilko

FNG
is a black bear going to need as premium of a 270 bullet as elk or is it just going to be overkill?

rclouse79

WKR
My tikka .270 is my only hunting rifle. I wanted to shoot one bullet for all species and settled on a 130 gr Barnes ttsx (partially because it shot the best groups). I have not had any problems with deer, elk, or black bear. It has almost 100% weight retention, resulting in good penetration. I shot a mule deer in the front of his chest and found the bullet in the hide of the rear quarter. I was impressed the bullet was able to travel that distance through an animal.