Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge or Weatherby Vanguard Meateater

Bergara or Weatherby?

• Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge 308

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • Weatherby Vanguard Meateater 308

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters
Hey all!

I'm new to western big game, have been a bird hunter my whole life but have decided to take the leap.

After diving down a ton of rabbit holes, I believe I have my choices for rifled narrowed down to the two in the poll.

Disclaimer: Looking to spend less than $1100 for bare rifle and I'd prefer it to be from Sportsman's Warehouse since I have a pretty beefy gift card there... 308 is preferred caliber as ammunition is plentiful and my shots will be under 400yds for elk and deer in Idaho. Ideally 300yds or less, but no situation is ever perfect.

This will be paired with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 firedot and Talley low rings.

Now for the rifles:

Both have cerakote barrels, both are threaded (not remotely required but I'd like to have it), weights are very similar.

links to both:

Pretty much check all the boxes I'm looking for but now would like some outside opinion if you don't mind!

As an FYI, I have looked at Tikka T3X lite/superlite and I just... don't like the feel. I understand that I can upgrade the stock but I'm looking for a factory setup right now. Someday down the line I'll build my own but today is not that day.

I've also been looking at Browning X-bolt Hell's Canyon Speed but I cannot find it in 308.

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Wby Meat Eater in 7mm RM and it shoots well, but I was pretty disappointed in the overall fit and finish. The stock, while it looks good, seems cheap and doesn’t fit great IMO. The hinged floor plate fit poorly and was fairly wonky on mine as well. I’m also not a huge fan of Wby not free floating the contour of barrel that the Meat Eater comes with. Not deal breakers for me, and all fixable, but just some things I noticed.

I can’t speak to that particular model of Bergara - but I have a Premier approach that was extremely nice out of the box and shoots lights out. It’s honestly the nicest bolt rifle I own. The Premier line is out of your current budget tho.

I know you’ve already handled and stated that you’re not a fan of the Tikka T3x…but that would be my pick at your current price point.

I own 3 Bergara Wilderness Ridge rifles all in 7 mm mag, 2 are my sons. These guns although a bit heavy balance nicely, have good triggers (2 lb from the factory), use Remington parts so easy to find. and shoot lights out! My sons shot elk at 660 and 600 yards this past year. I actually shoot Browning XBolts but was so impressed with the Bergara's I bought one this year!

grfox92

WKR
Bergara has a ton of quality control issues at the moment. I wouldn't risk spending any money on one until they get that back under control.

Weatherby seems to be pretty consistent. Most complaints I've heard are about the quality of the stock. But they seem to have a reputation for shooting good.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

jjwise97

FNG
I’ve heard complaints about Bergara recently but don’t actually know anything about the issues, just something to be aware of.

I have a Ridge in 7mag and a Hunter in 6.5CM that are a few years old and really like both of them.

Read my threads on Bergara standing behind their warranty (actually not).

I have one Bergara that shoots great and another that has obvious issues they won’t touch after doing a bunch of work to it and claiming it shoots MOA.

I’ve had much better customer service on cheaper rifles from Savage.

That said - I finally picked up a Tikka that I’m sort of in love with compared to the Bergara.

JD Jones

WKR
I own a b14 and though it’s heavy, it’s a shooter. I have had no issues keeping groups .5moa with my handloads. I actually plan to play with that gun more this year

WKR
A friend of mine just bought a wilderness hmr in 6.5cm. It's a really nice gun. Heavy, but smooth. And a shooter.
20230304_114100.jpg

Brabell12

FNG
I would check the LOP and stock fit on the bergara ridge when you go try them out. Bergara LOP seems way shorter compared to Tikkas/Vangaurd. Tikkas fit ME better, but the bergara ridge or vanguard may fit YOU better.

Outcast

FNG
Sample of one but I owned a bergara wilderness ridge in 308. I could get it to shoot MOA with Federal Gold medal match and that’s it. I’m sure if I spent a pile more time with handloads I could have found something but too finicky for me to keep. Down the road it went.

If I had only those 2 to choose from I’d go Bergara. I personally don’t like a 2 stage trigger like the vanguard has. Although with the issues Bergara has been having I’d be uneasy about them also. If you just can’t stand the feel of the Tikka try and get your hands on a Sauer or a Browning.

nobody

WKR
Bergara = bergarbage. See recent threads regarding their current QA/QC (lack of) practices. Russian roulette anybody? Had a coworker whose dad had one in 6.5 Creed and had to do some serious reloading gymnastics to get it to shoot, but eventually dialed it in. One day, at the range, a guy offered him a T3X CTR for a straight across trade. They swapped scopes on the bench, and my coworkers dad proceeded to feed the tikka the EXTREMELY hot reloads he worked up for the bergara, and the tikka shot them even tighter. He won that trade battle.

Weatherby vanguard I could go either way on. They’re just a Howa 1500 with Weatherby stamping on them. They even say “Howa Japan” on the side of the receiver. I had a Howa 1500 back in 2020 that wouldn’t shoot tighter than about 2 MOA 3 shot groups, say nothing of a 10 shot group (about 4 MOA, if anybody’s wondering). Vertical stringing to rival that of any internet horror story. After a few hundred rounds and many frustrating range trips, I dumped it. In the same time frame, my brother picked up a new, old stock (mfg in 2008) weatherby vanguard, and the darn thing just straight up drives tacks. We swapped out the cheap plastic stock and it tightened up even more. It’s arguably one of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever seen, and it refuses to string or walk rounds. So I’m 50/50 on the weatherby vanguard/Howa 1500, I personally believe it’s because Howa struggles with their tempering after the hammer forge. Read through their “break in” process and you’ll see what I mean. I’m scared enough I won’t touch either one in the future.

Just pick up a freakin tikka. It’s not a cult, we aren’t fanboys, we recommend them for a reason. They. Just. Work. And you’ll be money ahead when it comes time to rebarrel/rebuild, given the insane amount of aftermarket support they have.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own either but I like what Weatherby is doing in Sheridan WY. That said, people seem to love the Tikkas, can't find an unfriendly word about them anywhere. If I had to buy a new factory rifle, it would be a Tikka.

I just recently bought 2 Bergara Winderness Ridge SP’s. One in 308 win and the other in 6.5 CM. I’ve yet to shoot the 6.5 CM but I shot the 308 last weekend and couldn’t be more pleased with the results. This is a hunting bullet with a 3 shot group at 100 yards. I’ll work up some loads for the 6.5 CM soon.IMG_4221.jpeg

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Bergara ridge in 6.5. For me all Hornady ammo shoots good. Action/trigger is really good.