Beaver, Utah - Things to Do

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning to vacation with my family (kids are 9, 7 & 4) and stay in Beaver, UT. We plan to drive out each day for an excursion, but are looking for some ideas/suggestions on things to do and places to go.

Would like to go to Bryce Canyon NP.

I am an avid fly fisherman and would like to take my older 2 out with a guide.
- Any suggestions on guide services in the area? Especially one that is good with kids.
- Any suggestions on places to fish?

Suggestions on hikes, preferably with or along water, that are kid friendly?

What other activities or places would you recommend?
Any good restaurants in the area we should visit?

Thank you

Tod osier

WKR
Last time we were there we put a down payment on a pup and named the dog after the place. :).

We were mostly camping in the mountains, and trying to fill an elk tag, so not much help on scenic day hiking. The folks at the forest service station were helpful.

20230726_170537.jpg

When are you coming? Bryce will fill up so get there as early as you can get the kids going. Take your poles and stop at Tropic Reservoir for some fishing. Minersville Reservoir can be good. Fishing is usually decent at Panguitch Lake. You can rent a boat there too if you want. Same with Otter Creek Reservoir. Not sure how much driving you want to do but dont forget about Zion and Great Basin National Parks. Fish Lake is nice as well but a bit of a drive. You could go up to Marysvale and maybe float tube the Sevier or rent some SXS's. Find Big Johns Flat on Forest Road 123 and follow that up to the Delano Peak Trailhead. Usually Mt Goats up in that area. Dont forget to get ice cream and some cheese at The Creamery there in Beaver. Head down to Cedar City for a few more dining options. Its only about 45min. You can also check out the Parowan Gap Petroglyphs.

Last edited:
OP
G

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
When are you coming? Bryce will fill up so get there as early as you can get the kids going. Take your poles and stop at Tropic Reservoir for some fishing. Minersville Reservoir can be good. Fishing is usually decent at Panguitch Lake. You can rent a boat there too if you want. Same with Otter Creek Reservoir. Not sure how much driving you want to do but dont forget about Zion and Great Basin National Parks. Fish Lake is nice as well but a bit of a drive. You could go up to Marysvale and maybe float tube the Sevier or rent some SXS's. Find Big Johns Flat on Forest Road 123 and follow that up to the Delano Peak Trailhead. Usually Mt Goats up in that area. Dont forget to get ice cream and some cheese at The Creamery there in Beaver. Head down to Cedar City for a few more dining options. Its only about 45min. You can also check out the Parowan Gap Petroglyphs.
Thank you for the information. I am planning on the end of July / first of August.

My understanding is that Zion is packed and hot during the summer. Does not sound like much fun to me. I am escaping the Texas heat and want to be up in the mountains as much as possible.

I have no problem driving a couple hours one way to get to a fishing spot, trailhead, etc.

I definitely want to see some petroglyphs, and think I have located some near some fishing.

The Delano Peak trail looks good as well and doesn't look too daunting for some flatlanders.

We will definitely try the creamery, probably multiple times!

Tod osier

WKR
The Delano Peak trail looks good as well and doesn't look too daunting for some flatlanders.

There is some good scenery out that road past Big John's Flat. When we were there, it degraded pretty quickly the further out you went with a lot of coarse rock and washouts. We drove it all the way past the mines to the highway to the North. I'd want good tires, not for traction, but for puncture. Worth poking around that area.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mammoth Crossing trailhead just east of town leads to some relatively easy trails. Nothing spectacular, although the view from the upper end is good. Trails are well maintained. If nothing else, they can help burn some kid energy. They appear to be popular with mountain bikers.

Lando

WKR
It's a bit of a drive from Beaver to Torrey, UT area near Capitol Reef NP, but worth it for the scenery and the fishing in that area is great. You can also jump to there from Bryce Canyon for an easier drive. Here's the guide you want if you're willing to make the drive:

SonnyDay

WKR
Cedar Breaks National Monument is up in the hills at 9K' or 10K' so might be a bit cooler. It's got some nice overlooks and such. On the way you'll go right past Benson Creek Waterfalls which is a nice easy hike with water.