Beartooth 7 or 9" tall boots?

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at getting some Schnee Beartooths, trying to figure out if get the regular or 'mid' height boots. I've ran Salomen 4D's for the past 5 years, I think those are 6.5-7" height and I didnt have any issues with those. Wasnt sure if I would like a full height boot or not. Have guys ran both and have any feedback? I know the 9" boot would in theroy give a little better support but I never felt like that was an issue with my Salomens

I've had more pair of Quest 4D's than I care to admit. In fact, they almost seem like a BOGO when you buy a new pair and know you'll have to take them up on their warranty within the first two years, ha!

Currently have a pair of Beartooth's @ 9" and I don't think they feel too tall. They're a bit more noticeable than the Salomon's, but not nearly as aggressive as the pair of insulated Granite's I have from Schnee's (10").

Boots, as you know, are really individual, so it's tough to call if those extra couple of inches would annoy you or not, but it doesn't feel "too tall" to me. Hope that helps!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
For sure I'd get the taller version, it's really nice to have a little more boot. The new ones are scooped out more at the back but still tall at the front, similar to a lot of the Crispis.

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I've had more pair of Quest 4D's than I care to admit. In fact, they almost seem like a BOGO when you buy a new pair and know you'll have to take them up on their warranty within the first two years, ha!

Currently have a pair of Beartooth's @ 9" and I don't think they feel too tall. They're a bit more noticeable than the Salomon's, but not nearly as aggressive as the pair of insulated Granite's I have from Schnee's (10").

Boots, as you know, are really individual, so it's tough to call if those extra couple of inches would annoy you or not, but it doesn't feel "too tall" to me. Hope that helps!
How do you like Beartooths compared to the 4D's? I had mine 5 years before they just started leaking this spring turkey hunting, so its time to move on. They are $175 pretty much everywhere so I keep wondering if I should just get another pair of those vs a $350(sale) Beartooths.

Well, it’s a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, but maybe this will help:

Salomon wins for comfort, but it should with its flexible sole and fit. With that said, for an all-leather boot, the Beartooth is extremely comfortable and easy to walk in.

Quests will last me 1 year…maybe. And, I’ve had every pair leak with any moisture beyond your typical summer flash storm. So, if weather or durability (multiple days with alot of precip like they find in AK, for example.) are going to be a factor, I’ll use the Schnee’s.

One major draw for me to the Beartooth was its durability. I’ve drug the Granite’s over and through just about everything possible and they still hold up great.

It can stack up at $225 (or $175 on sale)/ season. Beartooths at $329 should give you several good seasons out of them if you take good care of them- or maybe a lifetime if you got 5!years out of your Quests!

Order a pair. Schnees has a great return policy. It’ll be a no contest if you don’t like the fit.

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the comment. I know I'm the minority in the longevity of my Salomens, I have hundreds of miles on them. Elk hunted out west, countless miles turkey and deer hunting. I have a mule deer trip in No. ID coming up this fall so need to get into a new pair this summer to start breaking in. Probably should just take advantage of the current sale and get them

Wolfshead

FNG
Aren’t the Beartooths much more stiff in the sole than the Quests?
I e thought about getting a pair of the Beartooths, but not sure if they would be too stiff , and I don’t need that much stiffness in my area.

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I e thought about getting a pair of the Beartooths, but not sure if they would be too stiff , and I don’t need that much stiffness in my area.
yes they are a mountain boot vs Salomens are just hiking boots. I'm not sure I will need ones that stiff either but figure try them anyway. I hunt mainly in WI but due a couple trips west each year for deer and turkey where there is more sidehills, climbing , etc

They’re definitely stiffer than the Quest, but just about any all-leather, full rand boot will be.

With that said, I wouldn’t say the Beartooth is too stiff at all. The footbed/chassis still has good flex for flatter/rolling terrain, but great support for steep stuff.

The Granite is definitely stiff and notably stiffer than the Beartooth.

Tilzbow

WKR
I currently own and hike in Schnee Beartooths at 9” and Granites, along with Lowa Renegade and Lowa Camino. Both the Lowa boots are 7” or 8”. I actually find the shorter boots a bit more comfortable and they seem to provide better mobility.

The Beartooths are slightly stiffer than the Lowa Renegade, less stiff than the Lowa Camino with the Granites the stiffest of the four. Granites are very similar to the Lowa Sheep Hunters of the past and the current Lowa Tibets.

Lowa and Schnee’s fit are very similar with Schnee’s maybe a tiny bit smaller.