Bears and Trail Cams

SJT

FNG
Having constant issues with bears destroying cameras…have always had bears on camera and they are always curious and have messed with the cameras but very rarely. But the last two seasons they are ripping off and ruining quite a few. Could this be a scent issue or something they are noticing in the cameras? Part of it I’m chalking up to just being more bears do to our poor predator management here in California. Anyone else have issues with the bears and their cameras?

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I have multiple cameras up every year just for bear hunting here in Colorado. Never have had an issue. That’s super interesting!
Do you store them near something that might smell tasty to them? Like in a cabinet that has lures or attractant I just ask because I worked for an outfitter in Iowa and he kept a lot of hunting gear in one cabinet with like scent stics/doe estrus/ Buck bombs and stuff like that

03mossy

WKR
We have beers mess with cameras all the time. We have never been able to pinpoint why they are so damn interested in them. Even a brand new out of the pack camera they chewed on so it’s not food smells. Found the best way to prevent this is put the cameras up high. I put them on a tree while standing on the back of my ATV then just angle the camera down.

I put a browning camera and cell link about 12' up a tree a few weeks ago and within 48 hours had a bear climb the tree and mess with it, first time I've had the problem. After the initial encounter they were back the next day to mess with it again, been safe since. I had 2 others within a half mile get molested and ended up pulling them and setting cheapo cameras in their place. If the problem persists I'll probably have to get some security boxes.

nickstone

WKR
Over the years I’ve had bears wreck cams too in some really remote locations. This year I have 3 cams around a vineyard and have gotten a ton of pics. Not a single cams been messed with. There’s multiple bears showing up most nights. One bear sniffed one, and they’re all 4-5’ of the ground right next to trails and fence crossings. I’m not sure if they’re low glo or no glo but I’ll check.

Attachments

• 10D87AB5-9906-4D35-AFCC-B7BEA6A28DDE.jpeg
    10D87AB5-9906-4D35-AFCC-B7BEA6A28DDE.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 19
I've had similar issues with black bears in So Cal. The 2 cameras that I've had destroyed were recently setup (within 4 weeks of being chomped). Once they get weathered a bit, the bears just walk right on by. I'm certain its the scent considering how well bears can smell. Next time maybe rub a little dirt on it before you leave it.

On one particular property I had a bear chew and destroy three cameras. I think it was the same bear. He would come back time and time again until the cameras were toast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my first bear camera incident last year, the bear totally destroyed the camera no great loss though it was a older moultrie and had been wanting to replace it anyway, so far this year no problems.

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
This dude threw my camera angle off just a few days after I set it up
6c739bd62ae0a2dd4b757cd7c645b710.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

aaronmn

FNG
Problem here in MN. It just started being bad this year with Tactacam. Never an issue before.

I put one in a lockbox, but the antenna was still ripped off.
0ddf2cd4ac1c9d96b1af0a9901bb61de.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I saw one ripped open this past weekend. The fellow had it way down on the tree, about hip high. I don’t know if raising it up would have mattered but it have made it a bit more difficult. As has been said , try higher w steeper angle. The thing is, if they really want it they are gonna get it.

OP
S

SJT

FNG
Well, getting them up much higher in some of those areas not really an option, but I will try storing them in a tote with some pine branches or something and use scent spray see if it helps.

Yoder

WKR
In PA we have problems with black bears messing with cameras all the time. We've had them destroyed and ripped off trees. I always wondered why.

PMcGee

WKR
Most likely due to scent. It seems bears are always interested in mine right when I put them out or check the cards. I haven’t had one destroyed yet but it’s a pain in the ass when they move them from where you want it pointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zdub02

WKR
I've had bears rip my cameras off trees and bite them up. Thankfully they didn't destroy them beyond use. I even tried using rubber gloves and scent free wipes which didn't prevent the bears from getting at them. They are a pesky critter.

Slayerz

FNG
I also tried several methods using rubber gloves and such. I now make boxes out of thin metal similar to the commercial lock boxes, but I also add deterrent screws to keep the bears from clawing and biting at the cameras.

Attachments

• 20220525_130946.jpg
    20220525_130946.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220525_130959.jpg
    20220525_130959.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: SJT
OP
S

SJT

FNG
I also tried several methods using rubber gloves and such. I now make boxes out of thin metal similar to the commercial lock boxes, but I also add deterrent screws to keep the bears from clawing and biting at the cameras.
That’s getting serious! 👍🏻