BC mountain goat hunting film, french perspective

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
A little different than most US based films?
At time 13:16 the guide looks absolutely miserable and worn down :sleep:
Ovini does a lot of sheep hunting around the world and judging from his other hunts, he is in above average physical condition.

Last edited:
OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Of the films I have found, Ovini and Greg Mchale are the most physical/beautiful films out there.

Check out the blue sheep and chamois hunts, incredibly steep and high terrain.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
While a very visuallly well done film, to be clear- the first hunter shot a goat and then had other people stay on the mountain and recover it while he went to camp?

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Rewatched it and, and looks like it? Client Oliver shot, local guide plus outfitter Ovini fetched. 🙉

prm

WKR
My guess is the guy is a little older and maybe has knee issues or whatever. I don‘t think he was carrying a pack. He was there for the second. I’d want to know the whole story before judging. I have friends that I’d gladly pack out their elk if it meant having them come along. Enjoyed the video though. If a mountain looks steep on video, its really steep! Had to laugh at loading the mag after finding animal. Cool dog!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, it's neat to see a multicultural perspective on this hunt. I found the cooking scene especially interesting.

gerry35

WKR
While a very visuallly well done film, to be clear- the first hunter shot a goat and then had other people stay on the mountain and recover it while he went to camp?
I understand where you are coming from and would tend to agree with you. I guided for goats for a previous outfitter who at one time owned guiding rights for a huge area including that valley (it's been sold a bunch of times since) and he told me you will only get one climb from most clients. Most people have no idea what they are getting into, it's cold, wet and extremely rough. Goats always seem to end up dying in a creek in a canyon at that time of year lol.

I been up that valley with friends on their hunts so it was weird seeing it on a video. I hope this current outfitter is much better than the guy just before him. Seem like decent folks so far.

Don't know who this Ovini is but he must be tough to climb what he did with the guide. Clients like that are quite rare.

I enjoyed really watching that, lots of good reasons for the original shooter not to retrieve the animal
My take is Ovini is a regular guide for the older bloke and they used a local guide
Nice red cattle dog

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the same hunt by Greg Mchale. Also enjoyable

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Same hunt by Leupold marketing. Still nice images

MattB

WKR
Didn't watch this whole video so no sure if it is the case here, but it is not unheard of for outfitters to determine some clients cannot safely get where they would need to in order to recover an animal. A buddy had a client kill a goat in AK this past fall and it took him 3.5 hours to get from where they shot it to where it died. I believe he went solo for the recovery because of how technical the route was. Another outfitter friend in BC has had goats they couldn't recover or even locate due to the terrain.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Didn't watch this whole video so no sure if it is the case here, but it is not unheard of for outfitters to determine some clients cannot safely get where they would need to in order to recover an animal. A buddy had a client kill a goat in AK this past fall and it took him 3.5 hours to get from where they shot it to where it died. I believe he went solo for the recovery because of how technical the route was. Another outfitter friend in BC has had goats they couldn't recover or even locate due to the terrain.

This is my opinion…

Then those people shouldn’t be shooting animals. If someone else is doing the work, it isn’t “your” animal. It’s akin to having a pimp bring you a call girl, and then talking about how good a lover you are.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Opinions change, I would have said the same thing 30 years ago

Not trying to rude or argumentative- however, your justification changed, not the reality of the situation. That hunter did not “hunt” the goat- the guide and his buddy did. He pulled a trigger and then he let someone else clean up his mess.

I’m not saying that someone that can not legitimately do something no matter the effort required shouldn’t hunt or shoot. I’m saying: that specific hunter was physically capable of walking into the hunting area, physically capable of climbing up to the shooting point, had shooting issues, and then for whatever reason allowed someone else to retrieve his goat while he went back to camp.

MattB

WKR
This is my opinion…

Then those people shouldn’t be shooting animals. If someone else is doing the work, it isn’t “your” animal. It’s akin to having a pimp bring you a call girl, and then talking about how good a lover you are.
To each their own, but I don't see that as being a fair analogy for a situation where a willing hunter is told by their guide that they cannot participate in the recovery out of concern for their safety.

gerry35

WKR
This is my opinion…

That's a bit over the top. I normally agree that the guy who shot the animal should be the one to recover it. As I mentioned earlier in the thread the country they live in is far rougher than people realize going in. Better to have someone more agile go in then risk someone falling and getting hurt. About 5ish years ago 3 goat hunters including one guide died from falls in BC. Late fall with little snow and the ground froze up like a vertical ice rink. It unfortunately happens.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
To each their own, but I don't see that as being a fair analogy for a situation where a willing hunter is told by their guide that they cannot participate in the recovery out of concern for their safety.

Did the guide tell him he couldn’t go? Or is it most likely that guy didn’t want to?

Besides, you’re making my point for me. If the guide can tell a hunter that he can’t recover the animal that he shot, it isn’t his hunt. He’s just a trigger puller.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread the country they live in is far rougher than people realize going in.

And that absolves the person who pulled the trigger of responsibility how? “You” chose to partake in the trip, “you” chose to pull the trigger, “you” should also take personal responsibility and recover your animal to the greatest extent possible.

Better to have someone more agile go in then risk someone falling and getting hurt.

I’m confused. So it’s just a pay to pull the trigger deal, not an actual hunt? The guy didn’t break his ankle, or have a heart attack- he chose to let someone else finish his job- for whatever reason, while he went back to camp. Then, they released the film as a celebration.

I suppose I am weird. If I pull the trigger, I finish the event.

About 5ish years ago 3 goat hunters including one guide died from falls in BC. Late fall with little snow and the ground froze up like a vertical ice rink. It unfortunately happens.

Ok? I’m not sure what your point is? So a race car owner pays someone to drive his car in the Le Mans (because it’s dangerous) and then right before finishing the race he jumps in the car, crosses the finish line and celebrates how he won?

Actually it’s worse than that…. It’s as if he pays someone to drive (because it is dangerous), then in the middle of the race, he jumps in and takes a lap, then he lets the real driver finish the race, and then the owner claims that he was the driver that won the race. No.

This wasn’t a severely handicapped person that legitimately did everything they possibly could to participate- this looks from all information provided, like a standard over the hill male that paid someone to do the work for him. You can try to justify it ever how you want- it won’t change the fact that if it is “your” hunt, then you participate in every facet of it. Anything else and you are just wallet that paid someone to make your life easier- it’s their hunt.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Let’s contrast that film and the individual that we are discussing, with the OP of this thread. One pays someone to go on a hunt and then let’s other people complete his hunt. The other participates in every aspect possible of every hunt that he talks about or videos- from finding, to stalking, to shooting, to recovering, to putting the animal into the market.

MattB

WKR
Did the guide tell him he couldn’t go? Or is it most likely that guy didn’t want to?

Besides, you’re making my point for me. If the guide can tell a hunter that he can’t recover the animal that he shot, it isn’t his hunt. He’s just a trigger puller.
This seems like it is devolving into the typical "if you use a guide, you are just a trigger puller" internet diatribes. There is a lot that happens before and after the trigger is pulled on any hunt, and trying to define a hunt based on unfounded assumptions about a singular aspect of it seems pointless.

And where do you draw the line? Is it "your hunt" if your hunting partner glasses up an animal you shoot? Tracks and locates an animal you killed before you do? Helps pack out an animal you shot? Holds a leg while you are skinning? I've done all that for guys I have hunted with and never once thought that stopped it from being their hunt or that they shouldn't be shooting animals as a result.