Base layer guidance needed

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
I whitetail hunt big public ranges. Most times it’s over a mile in with a frame pack. My issue is I tend to get sweated and then I struggle to stay warm once on stand. I am wondering if my base layers could do better at wicking moisture or do I need to readdress how i layer. It’s like being a mountain hiker and then wanting to wear the traditional whitetail clothing. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRM

WKR
Brynje base layers. I use Buffalo Systems for the most part over that. Exactly what of either depends on the weather that day. I'm in the SE and it can be 75 one day and freezing the next, with high humidity on both, or on neither.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same boat I basically wear nothing out just a base layer. Start cold you will warm up and pack the warm clothes in.

UA_Blake

FNG
Not sure how cold it is where you are but have you considered foregoing the base layer bottoms and packing in puffy pants instead? I made that change a while back for similar stand type hunting and it works for me.

Mikenep

FNG
start hikes feeling chilly so you sweat as little as possible. I wear a light merino wool hoodie as a base layer for my entire hunt. It’s the wooly brand on Amazon. Sounds gross but it doesn’t get stinky like synthetics.

Lowg08

WKR
I also hunt a long ways but I’m 2-3+ miles before daylight. I have been tweaking and perfecting for a couple years. Your base layers could stay the same just put on later or you could invest in zip off. I have kuiu 145 merino and 97 peleton too. I also wear pants with large hip vents. When I leave the truck I open the vents and have on the thinnest shirt I can stand. Usually a 150 merino top. Just hike in. Pull down pants. Wipe off legs zip on base layers and put on the warm clothes you pack in. Change shirt and put in a zip lock back. As has been said in here before. Be bold start cold.

Lowg08

WKR
Not sure how cold it is where you are but have you considered foregoing the base layer bottoms and packing in puffy pants instead? I made that change a while back for similar stand type hunting and it works for me.
This is solid. I have went to the puffy pants and jacket and a hardshell but I still wear a base layer and use body warmers. They are awesome.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider

What puffy do U use

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
This is solid. I have went to the puffy pants and jacket and a hardshell but I still wear a base layer and use body warmers. They are awesome.

Which puffy and she’ll

Lowg08

WKR
I have 2 puffy. Sitka midi, first lite brooks down. Now I’m always changing. I use the Sitka downpour jacket. I had the dew point but since the down pour jacket is heavy. I ordered the outdoor research foray pants.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 puffy. Sitka midi, first lite brooks down. Now I’m always changing. I use the Sitka downpour jacket. I had the dew point but since the down pour jacket is heavy. I ordered the outdoor research foray pants.

Was really looking hard at first light puffys

Maverick1

WKR
I whitetail hunt big public ranges. Most times it’s over a mile in with a frame pack. My issue is I tend to get sweated and then I struggle to stay warm once on stand. I am wondering if my base layers could do better at wicking moisture or do I need to readdress how i layer. It’s like being a mountain hiker and then wanting to wear the traditional whitetail clothing. Thoughts?

Doesn't sound like enough clothing, but has worked for me down to zero degrees, but below is what I do:
  1. Merino wool baselayer (top and bottom). Boots of choice.
  2. Prefer to keep hands free to navigate using phone or GPS device. If it's really cold out: maybe wear a hat, maybe wear light gloves for hike in. Will be moving enough to stay warm, anyhow. Really only need gloves below 25 degrees or so.
  3. Wearing backpack with hunting gear inside of it. For cooler weather hunts, strap bibs and parka to outside of backpack/frame pack.
  4. Hike into stand location.
  5. Remove backpack. Replace socks.
  6. Hang climbing sticks and then treestand, saddle platform, or ring of steps.
  7. Climb down. Put on bibs and parka. Climb up tree, pull up bow, and hunt.

Rokwiia

WKR
In cold weather, you have to avoid sweating as best you can. Starting out your hike being cool is paramount. You have to actively regulate your body heat. I am constantly adding and removing layers to avoid getting moist. I have all of my layers in a face pocket of my backpack for easy access. I use to cross-country skate ski in sub-freezing temperatures in nothing but a single layer of lycra. Layers were added when I stopped.

Here is a good read about sweating and base layers. You need to be a member to read it in its entirety but you can read quite a bit of it without becoming a member:

https://backpackinglight.com/why-is-my-wicking-layer-wet/

Here is a 17-minute audio podcast about managing perspiration in layering systems:

https://backpackinglight.com/podcast-55-perspiration-layering-wicking-evaporation-ventilation/

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
What base layers have you been using?

What works for me is a lightweight merino blend - I use the Stone Glacier Chinook - that wicks well and dries relatively quickly. Same idea with socks (I use midweight Smartwool). The whole idea for me is to keep moisture off my skin as much as possible. Something that is lightweight enough that it takes me a little bit to get warmed up, that wicks well, and that dries quickly. I go with tops and bottoms here, specifically for the wicking.

Somewhere around 40, I'll wear my mid layer which is either a Peloton 240 hoodie or a Sitka Heavyweight hoodie. Both have their place - the Sitka breathes better so if I'm wearing the mid that's what I go with. If I'm packing the mid, I'll take the 240 hoodie.

Once I'm stopped, on goes the mid and then the puffy. I like the Kuiu Kenai a lot. If it's cold enough, I'll pack the Kenai pants too. I try to avoid wearing a shell unless I have to because of noise. I'll pack a Warbonnet Stash jacket for a cold wind or passing showers. If I'm looking at sustained rain, I'm going with the Outdoor Research Foray.

The little thing matter too - beanies, neck gaiters, gloves, socks. I like to have a dry pair of socks and a dry beanie (Peloton 97) in my pack to put on when I stop. I can skip the neck gaiter if I have the Sitka hoodie. I like a light merino glove like the First Lite Talus with a fingerless wool glove on top (currently using Fish Monkey Wooly gloves here). I can't find a truly warm pair of gloves that I'm happy with, so I use these and my pockets.

Somewhere around or just below freezing, I stuff the mid layer in my pack and wear in a Sitka Stratus jacket over my base layer. Once stopped, off with the Stratus, on goes the mid, then an Outdoor Vitals Loftek puffy, then the Stratus goes back on along with the Kenai pants. I can stay pretty warm like this for a long time, but the key is staying dry on the way there.

Lowg08

WKR
Was really looking hard at first light puffys

I use the Sitka midi, brooks down. I have a chamberlain but just not bow hunting friendly but I swear by the under armor alpine ops down pants.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you're just hiking in to a spot to sit all day, then wear whatever you want for the hike in, and then change to dry clothes when you get there.