Barney’s Super Cub or Brooks Range jackets

2531usmc

WKR
i was planning on buying a Sitka Kelvin Lite Down jacket, but I started looking at Barney’s Super Cub and Brooks Range jackets. There is a lot of information and feedback on the Sitka jackets, but almost nothing on the Barney jackets.

Does anybody have any experience with the Barney’s jackets? I understand their packs are pretty much top of the line, but are the jackets in the same league.

akrdkill

WKR
yes....there clothing is "top of the line"....premium materials & they put a lot of there own R&D into it.....dont be afraid to call there shop

My guess, and its completely a guess as I don't have familiarity with their clothing, is that with the Barney branded stuff (they also carry Sitka) it that you are trading durability for weight compared to Sitka. The Barney stuff will likely be pretty bombproof but not necessarily ultra-light. So it kind of depends on what qualities are the most important to you for your needs. Barneys will be great quality.

i would call them to determine if they make it there. or if it is outsourced to overseaa's like virtually most of the stuff that gets talked about as being great and isn't quality wise. Most of this junk can be destroyed on one trip out in the bush. I hope they make it and if so I would buy it. Let us know. I have one of their frames and it is awesome.

OP
2531usmc

2531usmc

WKR
Just out of curiosity, has anybody looked at these two insulated jackets and formed an opinion?

Dennis

WKR
I have Alaskan Brooks Range Jacket and Pants along with the Super Cub Jacket (without hood). Bombproof would seem to define them. I find them well made, comfortable, wind and weather resistant and really warm when worn all together. It is my cold weather outfit and I rely on it to keep me warm throughout winter. I would say the Super Cub coat is seems much warmer than similar jackets, because it is so wind resistant. I have a Sitka Kelvin Synthetic that does not seem as warm as my Super Cub.

Comparing Brooks Range and Super Cub to Sitka Kelvin Light Down Jacket doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I would assume the Kelvin Light Down is much lighter weight and more a cool weather piece that can be layered with rain gear etc..

Hope this helps a little

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Barney’s stuff is made by integral designs. Or at least it was at one point. Seems like their stuff gets made by different companies at different times, at one point the pack frames were made by camp trails.

OP
2531usmc

2531usmc

WKR
I searched for the Integral Designs online and it seems as if they are no longer in business.

probably tough for a small outfit to compete against Sitka, OR, etc