Bank card scam

Help an fella out, about an hour ago I got a call from my bank. (Called the number back and it indeed went to the actual bank). It was an automated system, wanting me to enter in a verification code that I received via text. All this was concerning an Apple Pay charge that I had -I’ve never had Apple Pay… Anyway, after being on hold with the banks fraud call-center, I found out they have no knowledge of any suspicious activity with my card. What’s up? I feel like someone’s fishing here. Scary thing is they have my phone number and they also included the last four digits of my card number. I’m scared to death to cancel my debit card because I’ve got two out-of-state tags I’m trying to draw over the next couple days and it’s all tied to that debit card. 😡😡😡

gabenzeke

WKR
Did you try googling the banks number and calling that number or did you just call back the number that called you? Sadly a lot of this information regarding card numbers and such is pretty easy to get.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
First off everybody who wants your phone number can get it not problem. And yes they are fishing, don't give them any personal or CC info. Have debit card replaced ASAP

Bluefish

WKR
They can often even get your last purchases. Very scary. Best thing is if you get something like that call the number on your card, not the one they leave.

OP
P
They had my cell. Weird. The number that showed up on my caller id went to the bank -same operator that I’d just spoken to by calling the number I got off google (small town bank). The whole 6 number verification code has me weirded out. Well, that and everything else lol

CorbLand

WKR
They can make the number they called you from pretty much anything anymore.

I would get that card canceled and reach out to the places you are trying to get tags and see what you can do. If you don’t, those tags could get very expensive, even if you don’t draw.

I get several texts a week "Please contact some bank you've never worked with because your payment method you've never used didn't go through." Delete and add to spam/blocked calls.

You want to know how easy someone can get any of your info listen to Shawn Ryan’s podcast w/ Ryan Montgomery. It’ll make you go back to cash and a landline with a dial.

He’s on goods side but makes you wonder how many thousands are out there that arent

Never call the number or click the link they send you. Go directly to the official web site or look up the number yourself. I saw a scam notice where the scammers even found a way to get an official looking .gov email.

Idaboy

WKR
Sadly, I never answer my phone anymore, unless it's a person I know....anyone who cares will leave a voice mail......the amount of scams out there is ridiculous.....can't even fathom how much more if will increase with AI

Sevens

WKR
Sadly, I never answer my phone anymore, unless it's a person I know....anyone who cares will leave a voice mail......the amount of scams out there is ridiculous.....can't even fathom how much more if will increase with AI
Same boat here, if I don’t recognize the number. I’m not answering.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Heres a clip from 60 minutes thats worth a watch about scammers. It's less than a 15 minute video. What scammers can do with AI and spoof phone numbers is pretty crazy.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP you're likely fine if you didn't provide that code to anyone. It's a pretty straightforward scam, they've got your info but need that code to execute.

As for the scams, if you have ATT they provide the Active Armor and you can set it so your phone never even rings and texts even get filtered. It's got categories, spam scams fraud and such. I have mine set so all those just get flat rejected and unknown numbers not in my contacts go straight to voicemail. My phone never rings unless the number is in my contacts, and texts that are categorized spam scams or fraud don't even show up either.