Backup bow thoughts

bisblue

WKR
Hey folks,

I have an amazing shooting bow. It's a 62" Heartland customs recurve 50#@30". No stacking at my 30"DL, just feels right.

I broke down and ordered a set of carbon limbs for it that will be done in December for the Heartland. I also picked it a matching specs heartland bow as a backup, shoots great as well. I hunt the backcountry as my favorite option living in Central Idaho, so my main bow had lots of little scratches, nicks, etc...

Now I'm starting to clean out the closet wondering if I need a backup bow, if I have two sets of limbs? How likely is it I break a riser?

Current bows
Heartland main bow
Heartland backup might sell
Ilf carbon (for sale)
Ilf practice bow (could buy inexpensive hunting limbs as a backup)
20221004_151010.jpg

oldgoat

WKR
I've had a riser fail, was a trad tech riser and the glue line failed between the phenolic and the wood gave out. Yeah it's a way way bigger chance of a limb giving way, BUT, in our house over the last twelve years, me and the wife have had one riser crap out, one set of limbs crap out and one string damaged beyond use soooooo, I'd hang on to it if I was you!

Wrench

WKR
I keep two rigs tuned as a minimum. A spare set of limbs likely needs it's own string, brace and potentially different centershot to share arrows.

I just grab the little sister and rock on knowing it's all going to get along.

1Canvas

FNG
I have a 19” Satori that I really like but do have a TBow I have for a back up bow if needed.
I first bought a TBow to see if I wanted a Satori before I spent the money a Satori costs.
It‘s unlikely I would ever break a riser.

FNG
What good is it too loose 50% on a backup bow that was made custom for you when you sell?
I know of people where a bow fell a few 100ft down into a canyon. Pretty much unretrievable at that time.
A backup bow is always right.
Was the heartland bow tested for a cut string? Single bolt systems can be damaged and unusable after an accidental string cut.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
What good is it too loose 50% on a backup bow that was made custom for you when you sell?
I know of people where a bow fell a few 100ft down into a canyon. Pretty much unretrievable at that time.
A backup bow is always right.
Was the heartland bow tested for a cut string? Single bolt systems can be damaged and unusable after an accidental string cut.
I bought all these used. I ended up selling my fancy ILF to a local buddy, so I have two heartland bows.

Never had any string issues, although I bring a backup with me in the backcountry

I always take two bows and four shot in strings with me on a big hunt where I have to travel. At home one bow and a spare shot in string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatrickW

FNG
If it’s not costing you anything, and could potentially save you money later on, why would you get rid of it?

Bird in the hand…

I shoot a mathews Legacy as my main bow, and then an SQ2 as my back-up bow. Same arrows that tune out the same and will drive tacs with broadheads, but all the accessories are different.

Beendare

WKR
It seems to me it that you would have to try hard to break a riser.

That said, its easy to pack an extra couple sets of limbs and a riser on those llamas of yours- yes, Im jealous- grin

Thats the beauty of those take downs, light and take up little room

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
It seems to me it that you would have to try hard to break a riser.

That said, its easy to pack an extra couple sets of limbs and a riser on those llamas of yours- yes, Im jealous- grin

Thats the beauty of those take downs, light and take up little room
Yeah they're nice, the Bowyer is actually making me a set of carbon limbs, so I'll be styling on bows.
Compress_20221204_141454_4965.jpgCompress_20221204_141455_5180.jpg

EricS

FNG
I had a riser crack just before season started few years ago. Needless to say I'm glad I had a backup.
I keep two bows of nearly identical specs ready.
Good looking bows by the way.