Backpacks for Hiking/Thru Hiking

Xerute

FNG
Might not be the best place to ask (I can move to another tread or delete) but does anyone have any recommendations on lightweight backpacks for long distance hiking/camping not for hunting. Want to eventually do an AT thru hike in the near future.
I plan to get a EXO K4 for my hunting pack but the thing weighs 5+ pounds because it is meant to be used to load heavy hauls. I have a base weight of sub 15 pounds and was looking at the ULA OHM and HMG but wanted input if anyone here has experience with these.

Rokwiia

WKR
You're on the right track. A friend of mine just got an HMG that he'll be using soon for his Kilimanjaro trek, There is also SWD and ZPacks that compete in this same space. All good companies.

I used to use a ZPacks but have gone in a different direction. I now use an external frame Seek Outside Gila. The packs above will weigh in around 2lbs. The Gila is approx 2lbs 11oz so a bit of a penalty there although there is substantially more space. However, I've found the comfort to be head and shoulders above the lighter weight ones. I felt refreshed at day's end rather than tired and now gladly trade 11oz for comfort.

Seek Outside also has their Flight series made to directly compete with the ones above and weighing in at around 2lbs 4oz.

The other benefit of the SO is you can separately buy another bag for use when hunting or long backpacking excursions. I bought a 6,300ci bag which goes on the same Gila frame, harness, and belt and use it for long trips or in winter. The weight penalty between their Gila bag (57L) vs 6,300 bag (103L) is only 4oz.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Drenalin

WKR
I'm not a thru hiker, but regarding the SO Flight, I didn't care for the rigidness of the "frame" even with really light loads. It had that feeling like a piece of plywood being strapped to my back. On the other hand, their Revolution frame is one of the best (for me) frames I've ever used.

JigStick

WKR
When you’re talking hiking 2500 miles in 3-5months you really have to do your research. I love my Stone Glacier frame and pack. Just used it hiking in the Smokies a few weeks ago. But if I was thru hiking the AT or PCT I’d be going with a ZPacks pack for sure. You just don’t need a frame capable of hauling moose quarters / 100lb loads for that. Comfort / lightweight is more important than “load hauling”.

OP
X

Xerute

FNG
I ended up getting a ULA OHM for just backpacking and do plan to buy an EXO K4 for hunting. I eventually want to do the AT and the K4 is just too big of a weight difference to justify for that long of a hike.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up getting a ULA OHM for just backpacking and do plan to buy an EXO K4 for hunting. I eventually want to do the AT and the K4 is just too big of a weight difference to justify for that long of a hike.
Let us know how the Ohm works for you after you get some miles with it. I’m doing research on longer distance packs also. Looking hard at some of the zpacks bags. Thanks -Rufus

OP
X

Xerute

FNG
Let us know how the Ohm works for you after you get some miles with it. I’m doing research on longer distance packs also. Looking hard at some of the zpacks bags. Thanks -Rufus
I got my Ohm a week ago. Been doing 4 miles a day around the neighborhood with all my gear minus food and water. So far so good, my only complaint is no mesh no the back panel so you will get sweaty (this seems to be standard with UL packs though).

I also had a Dan Durston Kakwa 55L and it did not fit my body well at all. Zpacks, though I have never used, ULA, and Durston all are solid options if they fit you.

Bag is also in Ultra as I live on east coast and want to do AT so it won't absorb water.

If you have any questions or anyone has questions about the OHM ask away