Backpacking chair

I'm heading out to Montana in 2 weeks for Black Bear. I'm thinking about picking up a backpacking chair like the helinox or a three legged folding stool. (Both around 1lb) Has anyone noticed a difference when it comes to ticks when using one of these when glassing? Or is it not worth packing in? Thanks!

OP
TheLameTrapper
Just treat your pants, boots, and outer layers with permethrin. Works for me every year here in Wyoming.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
I usually soak my clothes in the stuff. Seems to work. Just looking for another solution to add to my gear addiction.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I realized that I didn't state a preference. I prefer the Helinox chair in camp. I prefer the three legged stool for moving around. I wish I could rationalize that preference you but, alas, I cannot. YMMV.

kordo

FNG
I use an Alite Mayfly chair. It's been trucking along for almost a decade now. It packs up smaller than most other chairs and is made to be rocked in, which allows you to easily find the most comfortable sitting position, and stretch your legs a bit. Their customer service is great too. Lost one of the protective rubber caps a few years back and they sent me like 5 so I wouldn't need to wait if it happened again.

strongarm

FNG
I've never heard of it. But I'm definitely going to look into it. Thanks!

@TheLameTrapper
Echoing the post about this - highly recommended. If I know I’m going to be sitting and/or glassing all day I take the Skyline UL stool. It’s well worth the comfort and has been durable on different types of ground, from exposed rock to tucked into timber edges. I was leery of the brand due to questionable durability of Big Agnes sleeping pads—which seemingly everyone I know has had a catastrophic failure, and similar reports across the web—but after a few years and lots of miles I’ve not had an issue. I have their high backed Big Six chair for base camp. Neither has plastic/composite hubs which will break in time, especially in real world use vs. around a campfire at the KOA. Weight very little for the durability. I’m 6+’ and over 200#.

Huling

FNG
Another thing to think about is where you leave your pack. I've gotten fewer ticks by keeping my pack off the ground especially overnight. My worst tick days have been the morning after I left my pack laying on the ground. Hanging from a branch seems to help.