Backpackers Chime In...Need Your Wish List

OP
Where's Bruce?
I envision a bag similar to MH but more bowl shaped w/ a divider in the center. You would fill to the the top of the divider and reseal. Without all the chems and salt rehydration WILL take longer for many higher protein/fat meals. It's a trade-off however, creating multi-texture entrees and side dishes isn't a big problem...finding those low in carbs with high caloric counts is. We've even developed a line of (hold onto your hat) specialty breads (pumpkin, banana, spice, etc) that are actually amazingly delicious but a far cry from the "serious nutrition" prerequisites most are seeking. more of a "for fun" item. Still reviewing nutritional facts on a variety of high fat/protein items to incorporate into the line. How do you feel about salmon? A chocolate covered macadamia nut bar? What about lower calorie but crunchy veggie side dishes? What type of "fillers" would you prefer (rice, potatoes, etc) to ensure you feel full before zipping up your sleeping bag?

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I am not looking for extras in the meal mre style. I'm sure plenty of people would like it but for me I just want a good hot filling healthy meal and I will pack the fillers and treat I want. Again I'm sure plenty of people would buy them though as mh seems to sell a lot of desserts and such that I will never buy myself. Salmon sounds good on the surface but I wonder about taste issues? Where I live though has me pretty spoiled and opinionated when it comes to fish. As for fillers I personally like the rice/quinoa type myself. I wonder about the divided bag too, I like to shake the bag to mix instead of spending forever stirring letting out heat and getting dinner all over my puffy. Really cool that you are looking into this and doing the homework. I would definitely give something else a try!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally, I am not looking for extras in the meal mre style. I'm sure plenty of people would like it but for me I just want a good hot filling healthy meal and I will pack the fillers and treat I want. Again I'm sure plenty of people would buy them though as mh seems to sell a lot of desserts and such that I will never buy myself. Salmon sounds good on the surface but I wonder about taste issues? Where I live though has me pretty spoiled and opinionated when it comes to fish. As for fillers I personally like the rice/quinoa type myself. I wonder about the divided bag too, I like to shake the bag to mix instead of spending forever stirring letting out heat and getting dinner all over my puffy. Really cool that you are looking into this and doing the homework. I would definitely give something else a try!

Pacific pretty much hit the nail on the head, at least as far my thoughts.....

Bighorse

WKR
Just thinking breakfast.....I would enjoy a product of mixed grains, nuts, and fruits of sufficient caloric volume to really fuel me. The whole grain options are out there but the whole easy to use product designed for backpacking isn't. I'll do sugary oatmeal but a more caloric and nutritional option would be sweet. A big dinner is nice but a big breakfast is where the rubber meets the road.

Ray

WKR
For fats how about coconut oil. It's solid below 74/75 degrees. Tastes awesome. And mostly vanishes taste wise once mixed into a meal. Package it by the ounce. I carry mine in a small jar and it ends up a mess if its warm.

Macadamia nuts are great. Best omega ratio out there and highest fat content per ounce.

I make my own Lara style date and nut bars. They have a lot of coconut oil in them and end up messy if its warm. Due to the oil they are half the size of a Lara bar and nearly the same calories. Best on the go food I have made yet.

No soy. Our Soy products in the US are as far from food as you can get. But now its in everything.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Weight is a big one for me.
1.5-2 lbs of food per day is the most I will carry.

I would like a good balance of fat, protein and carbs.

I also would not do spicy. Guys can always bring packets to add spice and or flavor if need be but you can't take it out.

Keep it simple. One bag, add water, let sit and eat.

As soon as you get some together, I'll place an order and try them. I'm not interested in a variety pack at all. I like to pick and choose what I want to eat.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Is there anything about the packaging you guys would prefer? I was thinking a squattier bowl shaped bag would be an improvement. Something shallower than MH bags. How many prefer a hot lunch to a quick "eat on the go" type? Personally I have only taken the time to heat up a lunch once and that was because the rain came down hard and cold. Most of the time a power bar and water suffice.

Craig4791

WKR
A package that could be burned would be nice but might be hard on hydration times.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just cut off the top of the MH bags to make them shorter when I eat but shorter would be better.

It would be really nice if they would burn easier.

OP
Where's Bruce?
When can I order some dinners and try them?

Before they can be packaged and sold we must formulate them, have clinical analysis done, (pH, shelf life, nutritional facts and other "certified" testing) then design FDA compliant labeling, get UPC codes and create a website. it doesn't happen overnight. If this were a hunting trip, I'd be at the stage where I am determining where and what to hunt...before I get tags or schedule a trip. Fortunately our company provides all these services so I can get it done quicker than most and we have a decent size commercial kitchen. The hardest part is formulation...getting the calories and the weights you guys want in a recipe that you will actually love (not like). Lotsa trial and error in this portion of the project to nail down formulations that can be duplicated consistently.

Renoit24

FNG
I think salmon is a good choice. It's something you can eat hot or cold, perhaps during lunch. Cold midday meals would be nice to have in order to leave the stove at Spike camp. Smoked salmon would have a great flavor and stay preserved longer I would imagine.

Rabbit Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a Hawk Vittles customer for a couple of years now, and enjoy the selection, but what I would like to see are some entrees with a sweet potato in the mix; sweet potato mash with some bison, etc. Maybe even some sweet potato hash browns. Also wouldn't hurt to have some dehydrated veggies with a cleaner source of protein like grass fed beef.

Would a variety pack that included powdered chocolate protein drinks, high calorie nutrition bars and soups, entrees and desserts for 7 days in a "kit" be worth trying once to see what you like? It would be a value fun pack kinda thing to try a little of everything in the line. Or would that be too much of a commitment initially. Price would run roughly $14./day or $98 for the week's supply. Calorie/protein count needs to be what? Vegan sound good?

Variety or sampler packs are a good idea and I would buy them to see if I liked the product line. But, I would size them in 2 or 3 days instead of 7 days since I'm not too keen on dropping a $100 just to find out I don't like it after the first day or two. If it takes 7 days to sample everything in the line then break it into three or four two-day kits; that way people can still buy a weeks worth of product if they want OR they can try it out on weekend camping or scouting trips before doing it for a long haul.

I definitely like your idea for a new product line and hope to try it out in the future!

OP
Where's Bruce?
Formulating some recipes this week, playing with a couple BBQ and teriyaki dishes, a secret new breakfast hash and eggs mix and some Mexican stuff.

One thing I've noticed when dehydrating my meals........ flavors tend to meld into one mixed flavor. To combat this I've started to cook & dehydrate ingredients separately. Take teriyaki chicken stir-fry for intense, I dry the chicken & veggies separate from the rice and combine at packaging. Same with some other dinner meals. My pallet likes to taste individual flavors within a meal. Other than that, I too am particular about the bag.... I like a stand-up bag w/ ziplock. (I expect to put my garbage into the used bag & seal it up tight and not have it leak or make a mess in my pack. Unlike others I like to use a cozy for re-hydrating simply because it remains hot for a long time while I tend to other camp chores. I like salt in my meals simply because it help bring out flavors within the meal. Besides I crave it after a hard day of hunting and sweating.

Personally I think the hot meals are well covered, what is lacking IMO is cold trail side meals. I've started to spend more time thinking about my cold breakfasts, getting tired of the same old rolled oats & powdered milk cereal spiked w/ fruit, cranberries & almonds. While hearty, simple and easy to make afield, I'd like some other choices.

Lunch is pretty well covered by my lunch bags, working well and I like the variety I put in them.
Hunt'nFish