Backpack upgrade

gwm

FNG
Hello - I have been using an Eberlestock J104 for the past few years and am ready to upgrade.

I recently started researching and am wondering between an EXO 3500 and Stone Glacier Solo. Pros/Cons - Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Just got the solo and while I can't comment on it's hauling ability, it is really well made. Super easy to adjust and get a good fit. Plus, their CS is top notch. I have to exchange the belt for a smaller size and 15 minutes after I placed the order online, I got a call from Pete at Stone Glacier to confirm that I already had the pack, sizing options, etc. I also really like the front access zipper for getting into the pack. In addition to the hipbelt, I'm adding on a belt pouch and the hydro holster.

FWIW, I was looking hard at the Exo and Kifaru but Stone Glacier has lots of packs in-stock and I'm supporting a local business. Good luck!!

tttoadman

WKR
I have the Solo. I have been really happy with it. It is pretty loaded for about 4 days. Anything past that you need to be packing dry bags or loading the shelf to go in. I just got a Kifaru XTL lid to go on top of it. I think that will allow me to setup really nicely for 5 or 6 days.

I have generation 1...1 with the fixed load shelf. I upgraded to the 3 pc belt, and it made a big difference for me. Part of what made me go with the SG was the 2" belt to put stuff on.

G Posik

WKR
I have a SG Solo and will say it is a great set up. I used two spotting scope bags and the accessories bag attached to it and have hunted 7 days out of it. Kurt is a first class guy with even better customer service. These packs are great as far as weight, quality and durability. I have all the bags except the 7400 cu in bag. I love the simplicity of the design and there are not a bunch of pockets and such inside the bag. You. Cannot go wrong with the SG.

Glenn

Mtnboy

WKR
I haven't used an Exo, handled one briefly, but I've used the crap out of my Solo at this point and it is awesome, comfy with heavy loads, simple/easy to use layout, super tough.

Can't go wrong with a SG. Also, more options to swap out to a different bag later if you want to.

The one thing I notice is, quite a few Exo packs come up for sale in the classifieds and they've only been around 1 year, while its not often a Stone Glacier comes up and they've been around awhile.

I had an estock team elk, and while I liked it, it just was not comfy and it was heavy. Went to an exo 3500 and the difference in comfort is phenomenal. Defiantly an upgrade for you. 2 pounds lighter, carries way more, compresses smaller and is more comfy. I think a lot of the reason that there are exos on the market is people wanting to upgrade to the 2015 model. Not in every case in sure, but in several I have seen.

Two great packs you are looking at. I absolutely love the Exo 3500. Carries like no other. Incredible comfort.

charvey9

WKR
I also had a J34 for a few years, and now use an SG Sky 7400. Can't go wrong with SG in my opinion. Frame is excellent and many different bag options.

What are you using it for? I can tell you my Eberlestock was my favorite pack until I got a Kifaru...now the sheer thought of throwing the Eberlestock on makes me cringe. The "felt weight" is greatly reduced with the Kifaru system. Ya gotta experience it to appreciate it.

OP
G

gwm

FNG
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice.

I guess I am looking for a pack that can haul meat, be a day pack and get me in for 3 -5 days.

Have a great day!

jgeary338

Lil-Rokslider
-I went from eberlestock x2 and upgraded immensely to the SG sky archer. Ive done multiple hikes with 75-100 lbs of sand and there have been to issues with the load faling to the bottom. And even with all the weight the frame flexes enough to shoot my bow comfortably.