Backpack Improvements

Have backpacks reached their peak performance? Admittedly there are a few i havent tried because they are made in or have parts made in china. Thanks Kifaru for not bending the knee to the communist party. That being said there havent been any new innovations to make the frames any better by any of the top pack companies that i have read. What direction do you guys see the pack companies moving in?

Biggest thing is going to be durability, waterproof fabrics, and weight. I think we are just going to see incremental advances at this point

BBob

WKR
A small item. Since the McHale shoulder strap/load lifter patent expired I'm wondering if more than Osprey will adopt or try the setup. Osprey put it on their high end expensive Airscape and Antigravity packs. They call it their Autolift System.

AUTOLIFT SYSTEM

• No need to adjust and readjust load lifters while hiking. AutoLift automatically engages the upper frame of the pack, keeping the load close to back, stable and in proper balance.
  • Works directly with CamLock Torso Adjustment System to quickly set the optimal position for shoulder straps.

sndmn11

WKR
The use of new textiles; cordura nylon is textile "technology" from close to a century ago. UHMWPE materials are superior in every way (tear strength, abrasion resistance, weight, waterproofness), and similar in cost. The next step would be similar thread, webbing, foam advances (nitrogen infusement, graphene, etc.) and then you end up with a lifetime pack.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Until the packs can haul out my elk without any help from me, there just isn't a whole lot more they can do at this point IMO. Can they easily haul 100lb loads without damage, and is the pack as comfortable as it can be for 100lb loads? That's about all I care about at this point.

I think sndmn11 is on the right track. More UHMWPE materials (including webbing) will lead to lighter weights, waterproof being standard, and better durability. Improved foams as well, that don't have to be replaced every 2-3 years and form fit better.
Quiet materials and lack of squeaking frames are about #100 on a list of 10 priorities worth addressing.