Backpack hunting gear ?.......

OP
R

Raghornjp

FNG
I live in SE and know the environment well having lived here 9 years now
Spend many days a year either on the water or in the woods and I’ve hunted/fished my whole life.
What I haven’t done much of is backpack trips and using a tripod and water purifier systems.
That is what I have some questions about.
I’ve got binos covered.
The only thing a 15x would be used for is making sure a bull is legal and to best use them requires a tripod.

OP
R

Raghornjp

FNG
Fwiw the tripod ain’t gonna be babied or treated kindly and may be shot off of a lot
Salt water and staying wet will be a big factor also

OP
R

Raghornjp

FNG
Also we have water everywhere so I guess some kind of filter that’s easy to use on the fly and handy

For backpack hunting around here I like the Sawyer Squeeze if it’s just 1-2 people. Bring the plunger with you to backwash regularly so the flow remains good, since it doesn’t take long to gum it up unless you’re refilling from a good sized creek (which aren’t to be found often in the alpine) and buy a new one each season. Gravity filters are inconvenient when living out of a backpack in the woods/alpine and being constantly on the move each day. Gravity filters are great if you’re coming back to the same camp each night next to a creek (but in that case boiling it in a pot works), or if you’re on a river and it’s more silt than muskeg water that you are filtering. Close to the boat or truck, no need to filter since you can bring or boil what you need. I’ve been here over 45 years and haven’t gotten beaver fever yet :).

OP
R

Raghornjp

FNG
I’m looking to start doing some backpack hunting (1-5days) and have a few questions that I’m sure have been answered a 1000 times but here does.
What is the one of the best water filtration systems ?
What trekking poles are the best bang for the buck?
And what tripod to glass and shoot of off? (Sitting and standing)
Thanks guys
Thanks for all the input guys
Appreciate it

buddtc

FNG
I have ran a few different tripods, but have been very happy with Slik, Hog Saddle, or Fat Boy Tripods. For reference, I have ran them in shooting schools, coyote hunts, and pack trips. What I have found is the game changer with these wonderful systems is the ball head- This will be the determining factor for your stability and your tracking. Night Snipe makes a good one, but it is pretty heavy. If you aren't worried about budget, talk to the crew at Hog Saddle and they will get you all set up!

Water filtration- I have used MSR and Sawyer. Typically, the squeeze filtration systems are the most useful. I will take a couple water bags (Sawyer, platypus, etc.) and use them accordingly. Just be careful on anything with a ceramic filter- If you are using it in freezing temps, and you don't clear ALL the excess water out of it, you will crack it and essential just have an extra step to being on the receiving end of water sickness.

Tripod: https://hogsaddle.com/products/
Night Snipe: https://www.predatorhunteroutdoors....ory/hunting-tripods-ball-heads-shooting-rests
Filters: https://www.sawyer.com/products/squeeze-water-filtration-system
https://www.msrgear.com/shop/water-treatment

I always have two water treatment systems, minimum. Steri Pen, Sawyer Squueze, Be free or something similar and drops/pills. I also carry a few coffee filters to keep extra chunks out.

pcassada

Lil-Rokslider
Like camelcluch, have a primary system and a backup or two. I always have Aquatabs for emergency situations. I like gravity filters (I use the Platypus GravityWorks) but also know this isn't ideal in some situations. Being in SE AK, access to water obviously isn't an issue. Lucky for you, there are a lot of good options out there to choose from. You might just need to bite the bullet and try one out for the season and form your own opinions.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Budget ......open
SE Ak from kelp to alpine
Deer, bear, moose
Rather buy something good the first time than weed thru junk
Probably the lightest STABLE platform to put 15x binos on and shoot off of

I live in SE and know the environment well having lived here 9 years now
Spend many days a year either on the water or in the woods and I’ve hunted/fished my whole life.
What I haven’t done much of is backpack trips and using a tripod and water purifier systems.
That is what I have some questions about.
I’ve got binos covered.
The only thing a 15x would be used for is making sure a bull is legal and to best use them requires a tripod.
I've hunted a fair amount in SE. I have never used a water purifier, the creeks have the cleanest water you will find. I have also never used trekking pokes there. Up north have used them but never SE. My suggestion would be to spend your money on other things.