Backpack hunting gear ?.......

Raghornjp

FNG
I’m looking to start doing some backpack hunting (1-5days) and have a few questions that I’m sure have been answered a 1000 times but here does.
What is the one of the best water filtration systems ?
What trekking poles are the best bang for the buck?
And what tripod to glass and shoot of off? (Sitting and standing)
Thanks guys

Well you came to the right forum.. Start searching and all of your questions will have at least 8 answers. The trekking pole bang for buck you are going to hear a lot of Costco carbon tech replies. I would be one of the people who would recommend them. Use your search functions and read to your heart's content then ask more specific questions to get better answers for your other questions. Usually one question per thread helps get better responses as well.

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
GrassyMike is correct.
I will throw this in though.
For water filtration you have 3 main options, UV light that will purify water, a pump to filter water or a gravity system such as a sawyer to filter water.
Trekking poles vary quite a bit. It usually depends how and where you want to use them.

Me personally, i have the costco trekkers that I ONLY use once i am packing meat out.
I use the katadyn pro pump for a base camp when packed in and then use a MSR trailshot for day hunts.

Gone4Days

WKR
Water filtration? Can’t go wrong with a sawyer squeeze. The bags suck but you can use the CNOC bags with the Sawyer.

I use the aluminum Cascade Mountain trekking poles on Amazon with the cork handle… they are great for the money. I havent had any issues with them. They have flick locks.

In some desert places you cannot find "standing water" and must pump from seeps. Here the Katadyne Hiker Pro excels. I can pump directly into my bladder's drinking tube.

If you are camped by a decent water souce the Katadyne Base Camp is a better option.

I prefer cheaper aluminum trekking poles (broke a carbon fiber one by dropping it) and use a SLIK 624 CF Pro tripod. Handles weight just fine.

MONFROTTO.JPG

Jolley78MT

Lil-Rokslider
You will no doubt get lots of different opinions. I personally like the katadyn pump filter and have been using the costo carbon trek poles and have been happy. That said I usually only use the trekking poles when I'm packing meat. The places I hunt don't warrant the need for a Tripod so I can't comment there

I have the camofire trekking poles and they’ve been fine. I have the platypus 6L gravity filter and really like it, just have to make sure to back flush the filter regularly.

You'll see Costco trekking poles mentioned often as the best bang-for-the-buck. You'll also see Cascade Mountain Tech poles mentioned similarly. They are the same product.

OP
R

Raghornjp

FNG
Ordered some poles
Still looking to decide on tripod and water filter

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your tripod budget? And what type of hunting are you doing, species?
theres a lot of options for pretty much anything you want to do. But knowing the species, hunting terrain, length of trips your wanting to do, expected weather/temperatures will help break it down.

there are a lot of threads on tripods, it’s all going to come down to how stable you want it to be, how much you’re willing to pay, how much stability yoire willing to give up to save weight. If you’re wanting to shoot off of it, that eliminates the ultralight.

for water filter Ive been using this
its faster then the sawyer filters that’s similar style.

I used a steripen for a while and it’s great, but this is lighter, simple and pretty fast.

Mosby

WKR
I use a gravity filter most of the time but will take a steripen when temps are consistently below freezing. I have tablets for a back up. I use Leki and Black Diamond aluminum poles I got on sale from STP several years ago. Both work. I prefer poles with cork handles. I have a couple of Manfrotto tripods that I use with spotting scopes. When I am rifle hunting, I normally leave the spotting scope at home and I carry a Bog Pod tripod to shoot off of.

OP
R

Raghornjp

FNG
Budget ......open
SE Ak from kelp to alpine
Deer, bear, moose
Rather buy something good the first time than weed thru junk
Probably the lightest STABLE platform to put 15x binos on and shoot off of

SE Ak from kelp to alpine
Deer, bear, moose
That’s helpful information that narrows things down a lot.

For glass, you’ll want to stick to 8x or 10x binoculars, imo. 12x and 15x is more than you are likely to be able to take advantage of given our thick areas down low, and up high the terrain and usual lack of visibility. Plus the weight and size of 15x, while doable, doesn’t help things when busting a long way through steep brush, and 10x is the max useful magnification in timber/beach/brush/muskegs (with 8x being better there). For deer in timber, even using binoculars falls into the category of “nice to have but not necessarily required.” Tripods could get some use for alpine deer or if you’re set up at a river stationary for moose, but it’s certainly not required. The only time for more than 10x while hunting in this environment would be for field judging mountain goats, in which case it’s time for a spotting scope (even then 10x binos can usually do the job of telling nanny from billy).

For tripods, I like to go light. Slik cf634 for me, and it only goes along if I’m bringing a spotter (and/or if I’m out scouting and taking pictures/videos). My last goat trip I brought a spotter but didn’t bother with the tripod. Just rested it on a pack (though that might not be everyone’s preference).

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted Alaska, so I can’t help you if its needed there or not. grappling_hook sounds like he’s got that part covered. but if you decide you do want/need a tripod, I don’t think most people would argue the best you can get is Really Right Stuff. American made and build to last. This year I finally decided to bite the bullet and ordered the Ascend 14L To go along with my anvil 30 head. Reading on here a lot of guys are using the Lofoto LQ-284c with either the RRS anvil 30, or leofoto‘s knock off version of the anvil 30.
depending on budget and how you feel about giving money to Chinese companies that rip off American companies might help you decide between the 2. This seems to be best 1 and done, do-all tripod. some what light- not really, super solid, great for shooting and glassing.
the anvil 30 is great, and many on here will attest to. Tripod won’t be here for a couple months so can’t directly comment on that yet.

again that might be more tripod that you want, and there are definitely lighter and cheaper options than RRS.

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider

i spoke to one of the guys at RRS about the integrated ascend head, and he said it meant to glassing and maybe once shot every so often shooting off of. But not meant to shoot off of all the time. He recommended I order without the head and use my anvil 30 or any other head I want to use in the future.