Backpack CO MZ Elk Hunt- Looking for Advice on Maintenance, Elevation, Gear, etc.

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
First time taking a MZ on a backpack hunt for early September elk in Southern CO. Last year in this area weather fluctuated between ~35F at night and 75-85F in the day (if I remember right). And rained for ~30 minutes of the 6 day trip (I know this could just be luck). Elk were between 9,000-10,500ft.

Here’s my setup;

- CVA Wolf V2 Stainless w/ Western Precision Globe/Peep Sights
-80gr by weight BH209
-Fed. 209A’s
-330gr ELR
-Barrel Baloons over the end of the barrel
-Patches, Solvent, & bullet starter
-Slik Sling to the side of my pack
-7 loads

I’m sighted in 3” high at 100yds right now at basically sea level in Wisconsin; also have no experience at how elevation will impact this. Anyone use this load combo or have ballistics to reference?

We’re going on a 6 day trip - looking for advice, tips, & tricks to make sure it goes bang if the opportunity presents itself.

Also - I picked up a silicone coated gun sock and have a “side saddle” on my Banyan Bridge Hammock. I was thinking that I’d store the MZ in a sock and in the side saddle to keep it off the ground during the night; is this a good idea?

Any advice on gear I should add would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds like you’re on the right track. I muzzy hunted deer in some very similar country in sw Colorado last year and will be again this year.

I tape my muzzle with electrical tape or duct tape. I sometimes take a spent 209 to plug the breech at night. You should have no issues with your set up as you describe it.

Side note: I’m not a big fan of the ELRs. I think a 300 gr Thor is a much better elk choice.

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
The little devil has given good advice.. I personally use the fingers off latex gloves for barrel, shoot smokeless powder, and store loads in spent 7mm Rem mag brass with a 3m rubber ear plug sealing it.. works beautifully. I also keep spent primer in place and carry hot ones in an old school 35mm film case.

tdcour

FNG
I've hunted high elevation deer in Colorado with Muzzy and will be again this fall. I keep my gun unloaded with powder in blackhorn tubes taped shut with electrical tape. Don't forget to put a tail on the tape for easy peeling off. I keep the primers and powder in a small snack sized ziplock to keep them dry. For the barrel, I run electrical tape, again with a tag to remove. I know you can shoot with it on, but I don't have that much faith. the latex covers can sometimes be a pain with the globe front end I'm running. Have you tested to make sure your balloons will go on and stay on with your globe sight? Lastly, I don't load my gun until I go on my first stalk. We hunt up in the high country so its more of a spot and stalk situation vs what you might come across.

I've never thought about the spent primer. I will definitely incorporate that into my setup.

Finally, I keep a large trash bag handy for those pop up showers. I just bought a "GunSlicker" rifle cover that I'll use this year in place of the trash bag, but I may double wrap mine at night.

I'm no expert, but the times I've needed to shoot the gun went bang.

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
The little devil has given good advice.. I personally use the fingers off latex gloves for barrel, shoot smokeless powder, and store loads in spent 7mm Rem mag brass with a 3m rubber ear plug sealing it.. works beautifully. I also keep spent primer in place and carry hot ones in an old school 35mm film case.
Anytime I’ve had a failure to fire, was because of something stupid I did.. one time no primer at all missed out on a whitetail and yet again… pulled the trigger (3) times before realizing I’d not switched out the spent primer with a hot.. this was after a spot from road, jumping into a wash, running through wash for a couple hundred yards, climbing out other side while keeping a very unplaced boulder between me and bull, rolling off the side of boulder down on ground using my pack as a rest and placing my crosshairs on a perfect placement on a beautiful bull within 120 yards.. rifle capable of 400… literally watched him ease further and further away and finally out of sight by the time I realized my goof and fumbled around trying to dig the hot primers out of my pocket… all that to say, As silly as it sounds, I would run a drill on where you are going to keep everything and make it systematic.. over and over so when the moment comes, you don’t F up

tdcour

FNG
Also, I don't have ballistics on a load like you have. I've shot anywhere from 90 grains to 110 grains (currently) of blackhorn with two different guns. Always with a Thor 300. Never any complaints on shooting consistency. Anyway, on my high altitude hunts I haven't seen much of a difference in trajectory. I'm coming from 1000 feet with high humidity in Texas. I see 1-2 yards difference at 60-70 with my bow and negligible difference with muzzy out to 150. I do still shoot at the highest elevation possible prior to packing in though just to be sure.